Hair Fanatic: Does anyone have Mr. John's Book?

hotshot

Re: Hair Fanatic: Does anyone have Mr. John\'s Book?

my hair does curl back on itself, making it look shorter on some days and yes, causing occasional tangles and breakage. and sometimes, i swear blowdrying is great for my hair. but dont want a straight look all the time. i wish he discussed ways to grow natural hair without straightness or heat.

MoezThunder

What does he do for relaxed-heads that want to come to his clinic for damage correction?

G

Interesting thread,I always thought that pressing hair broke it off over time...In the past, I pressed my hair once a week but this time around [after my hair comes out of braids] I am going to be using less heat. The book sounds interesting though; I have the info. and I may wind up buying it one day soon just to see what else he says.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

He gives great tips for pressing the hair. But the rest...
I'm sure his techniques work for a lot of people because the salon is still in business. But I know my hair would dry up and break off without a lot of water.

“Mr. John” doesn't believe in air drying the hair, wrapping the hair, sleeping with the hair covered by a satin scarf, moisturizing the hair w/water based products, a chemical of any kind on the hair (including hair color), weaves, afros, hairpieces, braids, cornrows, etc. He recommends natural hair and a wash/blow dry/press once a week. I read on this board that he does have clients with relaxers, though.

Dare~to~Dream

tippy75 said:
I live in Michigan and I used to go to Mr. John's (for about a year). He recommends that naturals wash and press their hair every week. He said that you don't want to walk around with a lot of new growth because this is impeding the growth of your hair because the hair is coming in "curly" and curling back onto itself. He gave me the analogy of how men get ingrown hairs on their face because the hair grows and curls back into the skin. Once it has curled back into the skin it no longer grows. I actually witnessed women go from 2 inch damaged hair to shoulder lenght and longer in the one year I was there. My hair grew tremendously also, but i didn't get the results the some others did probably because I wasn't willing to go every week and pay $55 a pop each time. For the first 6 weeks I did go every week because my hair was so damaged and believe it or not that is when I got the most hair growth so i am beginning to think that he was really on to something. Hair maintenance in between times was really easy too. He just said to put a dime size amount of nexxus botanic oil in the top of hair and a quarter size amount on the ends and light brush the oil into the top layer only. Then just roll the ends of the hair. He always stressed protecting the ends of the hair. He said to only wear the hair up in a scrunchie twice a week at the most. But there were women there that had hair down to their butt. Really beautiful to see!

Hmm...another interesting theory...I wonder if he still sells hair products...though I'm not necessarily sure about his theories...I could use his pressing tips.