Hair Growth Rate, .5" per Month? REALLY NOW?

For Real Nah, How fast Does your Hair REALLY grow nah

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CenteredGirl

I really do not think that as a natural 4ab girl, my hair is living up the the average growth rate.

I think that .25" per month or 3" a year is more likely for me. For real ya'll, when I hear about 1" per month I get skeptical.

What say you?

fivetimestwo

I consistently get at .5 inch per month and on a rare occassion I get more. However, I just recently begain retaining length and can see the difference. I guess it doesn't matter how fast it grows if it's breaking off just as fast. :ohwell:

AtlantaJJ

Since I started taking a large amount of silica, my hair growth rate has sky rocketed. I'm documenting my growth each month with the help of my son. I got 1.25 inches as you can see in my siggy. I also did cardio 4 to 5 times per week 6 weeks ago as well so I think it's a combination that is doing it for me lately.

I can assure you, my hair was growing like a snail before I stepped up my supplement / workout game... Next I'm going to work on improving my diet.

Aggie

Hair normally grows at a rate of .5 inch a month. In the summer time it could grow about 3/4 inches and slow down to less than .5 an inch a month during the winter. All in all, the average is 6 inches a year. Retaining the length is the key to actual visible progress though.

Simply_Kelz

The first 4 weeks following a touchup .. I get like .. 1/6 of an inch ..:perplexed
But after that its basically 1/2 .. sometimes 3/4 ..

Mook's hair

I haven't relaxed in a year and I have around 5.5 inches of new growth.
So that's close enough to the full 6 inches per year for me to call my growth average. I'm pleased with the outcome:grin:.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
I really do not think that as a natural 4ab girl, my hair is living up the the average growth rate.

I think that .25" per month or 3" a year is more likely for me. For real ya'll, when I hear about 1" per month I get skeptical.

What say you?

I was getting .25" a month/3" a year until I started with vitamins (up to .5" a month) and BT (up to about .75" a month)

ETA I am a relaxed 4a

Last edited:

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
My hair grows 1/2 inch per month on the nose. I haven't relaxed in a year either and I have 6-7 inches of new growth (depending upon where you measure on my head).

anon123

I don't know how much I grow but I'm pretty sure that after chopping my hair in Sept 06 by the next year Sept I had retained an additional 4". Since then I've gotten at least another 2" so if I retain 4" a year it wouldn't surprise me if I in fact grew 6". Guess I'll never know. Maybe if I ever dyed my hair I could see from the new growth how fast it was growing.

SouthernTease

My hair grows about 6" a year... .5" a month... see siggy.
It's really hard to see that growth on natural hair...
maybe you should get a blowout like I do every 3 months...
I don't generally wear my hair bone straight but for my progress pics
it's a must... you'd be surprised by how a good straightening can
stretch your curl so that you can appreciate growth.

Last edited:

Mystic

Me too. I average anywhere from 3-4" per year - sucks!

What say you?

audacious1

If I got 1/2 inch per month, I'd be happy. Sometimes I barely get 1/4 inch.

yep yep yep. it takes me about 3 months to get a full inch. but I'm fine with my growth rate. I don't have the energy to take vitamins and apply topical aids. just aint that serious for me.

LayneJ

Last edited:

Mystic

I don't know about this average thing that I am constantly hearing. There are a LOT of people who barely get 5" much less 6". It's not even a matter of not retaining - they just never get the elusive 6". I have never gotten 6" ever. No matter how much vitamin, exercise, hair concoctions:lachen:. I have now accepted that it is what it is and work with it.

Hair normally grows at a rate of .5 inch a month. In the summer time it could grow about 3/4 inches and slow down to less than .5 an inch a month during the winter. All in all, the average is 6 inches a year. Retaining the length is the key to actual visible progress though.

Last edited:

aja1121

I never paid much attention to my monthly growth rate, but I use my hair color as a guide, I definitely get 6 inches a year though and I wouldn't say that it is a consistent .5 a month, sometimes more or less.

SouthernTease

I agree with previous poster...
my hair still grows that .5"+/-
no matter what I do...
vitamins whatever...
the most important thing is retention
if your hair is growing because of
some concoction... it's probably
more of a mind over matter thing...
if you think your hair won't grow..
guess what... it won't.
I think time/money would be better spent
if everyone just changed the way they think
I could be wrong... just a theory but could
be a self fulfilling prophecy for some

SleepyJean

My hair doesn't not grow .5 inches/month. I'm not talking about retention. I know what that is! I'm talking about NG. I get a full .25 inches/month during summer, and sometimes less otherwise. Not everyone gets .5 inches. That is not the minimum growth rate. :nono:

Chameleonchick

Since I started taking a large amount of silica, my hair growth rate has sky rocketed. I'm documenting my growth each month with the help of my son. I got 1.25 inches as you can see in my siggy. I also did cardio 4 to 5 times per week 6 weeks ago as well so I think it's a combination that is doing it for me lately.

I can assure you, my hair was growing like a snail before I stepped up my supplement / workout game... Next I'm going to work on improving my diet.

I wish I could take silica Can't take it while nursing :nono:

Mystic

Couldn't agree more:grin:

My hair doesn't not grow .5 inches/month. I'm not talking about retention. I know what that is! I'm talking about NG. I get a full .25 inches/month during summer, and sometimes less otherwise. Not everyone gets .5 inches. That is not the minimum growth rate. :nono:

loolalooh

No 0.5 inches a month here ...

I have about 5 inches of natural hair at ~13 months post my last relaxer. I retained all of my new growth :grinwink:, so I'll say my average is about 0.38 inches a month give or take.

I hate to bring this up but does anyone think that maybe you slow growers are not necessarily genetically predisposed to slower growth rates but that years of relaxers on your scalp can cause follicular damage,, slowing down your hair growth rates over time??,,, the only people who could fairly say their hair grows slower would be ones who never relaxed their hair,,,,i suspect i damaged a few follicles from maybe 4 years of relaxers in delicate areas of scalp.......

CherishGOU

I've been stretching since mid December (about 4 months) and I've attained about 1.5" of new growth, but there was virtually none after the first month for some reason. I'm just glad my hair is growing at all. I know I've done major damage with years of improper self-relaxing, I wouldn't be surprised if that is the reason my growth seems slower than average. However, now that I have dropped that bad habit and am applying all the things I'm learning here, my main focus is on retention.

Last edited:

MonPetite

I get .5"-.75" depending on the season and my diet. I started transtioning 6 months ago, I now have 3.5" inches of natural hair.