Hair is snapping off....

Kinkyhairlady

I just got a touch up on Saturday and for some reason not even a day later I started noticing broken pieces all over the place. I am so upset and I really don't know what I am suppose to do. My hair just started doing well and I had to go mess it. I was thinking of doing a protein treatment but I am afraid it is too soon to do it after a relaxer. Do you guys have any suggestions. I need to do something quick to stop this breakage. Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks

jamaicanadian

I would wash again with a neutralizing shampoo just in case all traces of the relaxer wasn't removed. And deep condition. Maybe a milder protein conditioner will help. HTH

Kinkyhairlady

I would wash again with a neutralizing shampoo just in case all traces of the relaxer wasn't removed. And deep condition. Maybe a milder protein conditioner will help. HTH

Thanks I could try that as well. Anyone else have any more suggestions, I just want to see if anyone has had experieced with this and how they stop it. thanks

freshlikemoi

Did you just complete a long stretch? DId you deep condition afterwards? Perhaps you just need some moisture in your hair. Your avatar shows that your hair is in pretty good shape, so I wouldn't worry to much. Just jump on it now.

Dposh167

I was just relaxed and yes my strands are brittle. They don't snap off that much but i'm def. noticing a couple of short strands in my comb. (and my hair was in pretty decent shape before my relaxer). So i know my strands are weaker b/c of the chemical application.

I wouldn't go crazy just yet. See what happens after your first wash. I'm doing my first wash this weekend and i plan on prepooing with keraphix then deep conditioning. This usually corrects it. now if ur still snapping after ur first wash then i would investigate further:perplexed

sareca

The first wash after a relaxer I always:
  1. neutralize (I actually use neutralize poo for the next 3 or so washes)--just in case
  2. clarify--to remove relaxer residue that is neutralized but still stuck to your hair preventing your products from working
  3. light/medium protein treatment (w/ heat for 30 minutes)--to replace what was stripped by the relaxer. i like to use collagen or ceramides for this first treatment.

Aggie

Remember Ellis, it is recommended to do another protein treatment withnin 7 days of your relaxer. This helps to mend the cuticles that were damaged by the chemical relaxer.

Did you protect your hair strands before the relaxer? ( I use profectiv break free and alternate with cantu break cure starting from 3 days before my relaxer - these have protein in them to act as a protection against the harsh chemical relaxer).
Did you do a 5 minute mid-relaxer protein treatment after the relaxer removal but before the neutralizer?
Did you let the third neutralizing shampoo sit on the hair for at least 5 minutes to remove the excess relaxer from your hair?
And did you deep condition at the end?

Kinkyhairlady

Thanks Ladies for all the input. I will wash again with a neutralizing shampoo and condition with silicon mix. If that does not work I guess I will have to do a stronger treatment. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks