Help: Niece's 4c Hair Snapping Off With Gentle Combing

Evolving78

Before our vacation ends and I leave, I'll clarify her hair, just in case it helps products to perform better.

Her mom agreed to take her to a salon for a trim. :up: I gave her a list of questions to ask. Hopefully their answers will inspire a regimen.

During pooing, I gave her a scalp massage. She was in heaven. Lol! When I put her under the dryer, OMG, you would've thought this was her wedding day hair prep or something. As I twisted her hair, she kept saying to her sisters, "Y'all need to go to bed. I have to stay up 'cause I'm getting my hair done!" LOL! Once all twisted up, she was swinging her hair back and forth. No tears the whole time. No yelling. :smile:

I learned some things: I now totally understand why some folks advocate finger detangling only, and no combs. It worked great on her COTTONY hair. However, I'm curious about whether other COILIES like myself concur: I get a way better experience with a wet brush. Finger detangling takes hours and hours and hours . . .

Her mom is requesting recommendations for a very moisturizing cream. I'll check the children's subforum.
I use Lottabody coconut Moisturizing milk on my children's hair. I use it too! It has enough weight to it, but not heavy. They also have a detangling leave-in spray, and some edge control. Totally affordable! $3-$5 range. And they smell nice. She can pick some up before winter break is over and use that.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Ive been using a moisturizing spritz from haircrush/chime that has gotten me out of dry hair hell.
She talks abt it at the one minute mark
I take my spray bottle and add 60% water, 30% glycerin, and the last 10% is half aloe and half oil. Been doing it for several months so far and the results have made me extremely happy w my hair's health.
Mix them a batch of this spritz so they can use it when u leave

I'm going to do this! It sounds perfect. Thanks SO much for sharing.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Considering that they have such a hard time keeping her hair moisturized, I don't know if a twist out was the right style to go with. I'd hate for all of your hard work to be wasted in a days time. Does the mom know anything about protective styling?

Good point! :yep:

I think the mom wanted to try the twist out for their New Year's party. I don't think it will be their go-to style. She saw my twist out and wanted to see her daughter in one. I think it was because she saw my hair go from a tight fro to a style with defined length, and she's wondering if that will work sometimes for her daughter's hair that is very different from her other daughters'.

I tried explaining about keeping the hair braided/stretched. I don't know if "protective styling" is a part of their knowledge base.

I'm going to try to get the mom to come on to LHCF. I feel like I came off sounding like so much needed to be done differently when I'm a novice myself, so after discussing finger detangling, DCing, and LOC versus LCO, I stopped for the day.

I hope she remoisturizes in a few days and transforms the twist out into something more protective.

Evolving78

Good point! :yep:

I think the mom wanted to try the twist out for their New Year's party. I don't think it will be their go-to style. She saw my twist out and wanted to see her daughter in one. I think it was because she saw my hair go from a tight fro to a style with defined length, and she's wondering if that will work sometimes for her daughter's hair that is very different from her other daughters'.

I tried explaining about keeping the hair braided/stretched. I don't know if "protective styling" is a part of their knowledge base.

I'm going to try to get the mom to come on to LHCF. I feel like I came off sounding like so much needed to be done differently when I'm a novice myself, so after discussing finger detangling, DCing, and LOC versus LCO, I stopped for the day.

I hope she remoisturizes in a few days and transforms the twist out into something more protective.
Don't send her here. This is information overload.
This channel is very informative and this woman is good with taking care of her daughters' hair. They are in the 4 hair type family too. One of her children has learned how to care for her own hair now. She has tutorials and she explains a lot of the methods and lingo used in the natural hair world. Good product recommendations.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Don't send her here. This is information overload.
This channel is very informative and this woman is good with taking care of her daughters' hair. They are in the 4 hair type family too. One of her children has learned how to care for her own hair now. She has tutorials and she explains a lot of the methods and lingo used in the natural hair world. Good product recommendations.

:kiss: Thanks!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks, all.

I will send the YouTube channels mom's way. Thank you so much for sharing: There is so much to wade through on YouTube, so being pointed to quality channels helps tremendously.

Update: Twist out did not look good. Mom is restyling: Two-strand twists at front so she can feel a little length. Ponytailed twist out in the back.

MilkChocolateOne

You're welcome. I am glad I could help. Taking care if little girls hair is a passion of mine. It's been a hobby since I was a teen. There was about 10 little girls that I would take care of their hair because their mothers didn't know how to maintain it and had little interest in learning how to care for it. Hair is such a big part of a little girl's self esteem.

Evolving78

You're welcome. I am glad I could help. Taking care if little girls hair is a passion of mine. It's been a hobby since I was a teen. There was about 10 little girls that I would take care of their hair because their mothers didn't know how to maintain it and had little interest in learning how to care for it. Hair is such a big part of a little girl's self esteem.
I have someone that offered to do my DD's hair, but she has no edges... I wonder if she just wants to play in her hair, or she thinks I don't do enough? :lachen: I'm really simple and I don't really braid. Plus, my daughter likes her hair big, wild, and free! Lol she is a firecracker!

MilkChocolateOne

I have someone that offered to do my DD's hair, but she has no edges... I wonder if she just wants to play in her hair, or she thinks I don't do enough? :lachen: I'm really simple and I don't really braid. Plus, my daughter likes her hair big, wild, and free! Lol she is a firecracker!

I'm sure your daughter's hair looks fine. you know some people's idea of hair being done is shiny greased extra tight ponytails or a relaxer. My daughter is usually in curly puffs or medium sized two strand twists. I don't do a bunch of intricate braids or beads. She has 3c hair and those styles wouldn't last anyway. Plus I hate to see a child with a million beads all the way up the hair strand. My cousin does her daughter's hair like that and then she puts large daisy barrettes at the end of the braid with 20+ beads.

The little girls' hair that I took care of mothers didn't even do the bare minimum. Their hair would be a matted dry lint filled 2 week old mess or the moms would put a relaxer in and brown gel their hair into chicken head ponytails with broken edges.

Evolving78

I'm sure your daughter's hair looks fine. you know some people's idea of hair being done is shiny greased extra tight ponytails or a relaxer. My daughter is usually in curly puffs or medium sized two strand twists. I don't do a bunch of intricate braids or beads. She has 3c hair and those styles wouldn't last anyway. Plus I hate to see a child with a million beads all the way up the hair strand. My cousin does her daughter's hair like that and then she puts large daisy barrettes at the end of the braid with 20+ beads.

The little girls' hair that I took care of mothers didn't even do the bare minimum. Their hair would be a matted dry lint filled 2 week old mess or the moms would put a relaxer in and brown gel their hair into chicken head ponytails with broken edges.
Yep! My daughter's hair is kept the same way as your methods! You are right!