Hair Loss and Relaxing

genesis

Hello to all, I am new to the board and really excited about getting started on my long hair goals. But, currently I am having some issues...

I did an Aphogee treatment about 3 days ago because of breakage--which I think might have been caused by oral contraceptives. (I have since stopped using them-2mos.) My hair still has some slight breakage, nothing compared to before, but I want to relax it this weekend because the roots are sooo thick that I cannot comb them--even with a wide tooth comb. I haven't had a relaxer in about 12 weeks b/c of the breakage. I want to know whether or not I should go ahead and do it,I plan on using the Motions Mild Oil Relaxer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bobbie

Where does the breakage happen? Is it at the new growth?
What about daily moisture for your hair?

It takes a while for your hair to reap the benefits of protein treatments, and it seems like your hair is recovering.
I would recommend holding off getting a relaxer until the damage is under control.
Also, try detangling your hair in the shower with your fingers and extra conditioner.

genesis

Thank you for the advice, mostly the breakage is at the ends, I cut off some of the ends because I got frustrated with the breakage. For daily moisture I used the Pantene daily moisturizer, but am swithching to Cathy Howes moisturizer.

Bobbie

It's good that you're taking control of the breakage.

What about protective styles? It also helps to protect the ends from sustaining too much damage.

genesis

I usually wear my hair in some type of updo, a bun ,etc. I also thought about using olive oil on the ends of my hair, have anyone ever heard of this being effective?

Tracy

Is it possible that the need for a touch up is contributing to the breakage at this point? I know when it's time for me to relax (really time I mean - not just a minimal extension - like, when I'm way overdue) my hair will begin to break a little. Just a thought. It may not be your specific trouble though...hard to tell with the breakage happening right at the ends like that.

genesis

Yup, I thought the same thing...
Maybe I will wait another week or so, do more deep conditioning and see how the hair's looking, and go from there. Thanks for the response.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Just wanted to welcome you to the board. I know it's late and all...but i took a little Forum vacation

Bobbie

[ QUOTE ]
genesis said:
Yup, I thought the same thing...
Maybe I will wait another week or so, do more deep conditioning and see how the hair's looking, and go from there. Thanks for the response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing. It's always best to wait until your hair is at it's healthiest. You said that breakage diminished, so it sounds good to stengthen your hair more before getting a relaxer.
Hope you have fun here, genesis!