Hair Loss and Relaxing

Discussion in 'Hair Loss' started by genesis, Feb 25, 2004.

1. genesis

genesis New Member

Blog Posts:
    Hello to all, I am new to the board and really excited about getting started on my long hair goals. But, currently I am having some issues...

I did an Aphogee treatment about 3 days ago because of breakage--which I think might have been caused by oral contraceptives. (I have since stopped using them-2mos.) My hair still has some slight breakage, nothing compared to before, but I want to relax it this weekend because the roots are sooo thick that I cannot comb them--even with a wide tooth comb. I haven't had a relaxer in about 12 weeks b/c of the breakage. I want to know whether or not I should go ahead and do it,I plan on using the Motions Mild Oil Relaxer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Bobbie

Bobbie New Member

Blog Posts:
    Where does the breakage happen? Is it at the new growth?
    What about daily moisture for your hair?

It takes a while for your hair to reap the benefits of protein treatments, and it seems like your hair is recovering.
    I would recommend holding off getting a relaxer until the damage is under control.
    Also, try detangling your hair in the shower with your fingers and extra conditioner. [​IMG]

3. genesis

genesis New Member

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the advice, mostly the breakage is at the ends, I cut off some of the ends because I got frustrated with the breakage. For daily moisture I used the Pantene daily moisturizer, but am swithching to Cathy Howes moisturizer.

4. Bobbie

Bobbie New Member

Blog Posts:
    It's good that you're taking control of the breakage. [​IMG]
    What about protective styles? It also helps to protect the ends from sustaining too much damage.

5. genesis

genesis New Member

Blog Posts:
    I usually wear my hair in some type of updo, a bun ,etc. I also thought about using olive oil on the ends of my hair, have anyone ever heard of this being effective?

6. Tracy

Tracy New Member

Blog Posts:
    Is it possible that the need for a touch up is contributing to the breakage at this point? I know when it's time for me to relax (really time I mean - not just a minimal extension - like, when I'm way overdue) my hair will begin to break a little. Just a thought. It may not be your specific trouble though...hard to tell with the breakage happening right at the ends like that. [​IMG]

7. genesis

genesis New Member

Blog Posts:
    Yup, I thought the same thing...
    Maybe I will wait another week or so, do more deep conditioning and see how the hair's looking, and go from there. Thanks for the response.

8. Erica78

Erica78 Coils coils & more coils!

Blog Posts:
    [​IMG] Just wanted to welcome you to the board. I know it's late and all...but i took a little Forum vacation [​IMG]

9. Bobbie

Bobbie New Member

Blog Posts:
    [ QUOTE ]
    genesis said:
    Yup, I thought the same thing...
    Maybe I will wait another week or so, do more deep conditioning and see how the hair's looking, and go from there. Thanks for the response.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good thing. It's always best to wait until your hair is at it's healthiest. You said that breakage diminished, so it sounds good to stengthen your hair more before getting a relaxer.
    Hope you have fun here, genesis! [​IMG]