Hair Loss from rollersetting?

MDinLA

I know we all encourage rollersetting as it supposedly is best for our hair. I'm relaxed and have been rollersetting for one year. I've had breakage where I've never had before and hair loss that's gotten really bad at the temples. Has anyone had a similar experience?

NaiyaAi

I haven't experienced anything like that, but maybe your rollers are too tight? Or the clips you use are pulling your hair? I sometimes have breakage if I'm too rough with taking out the clips after my hair is dry.

camilla

I haven't experienced anything like that, but maybe your rollers are too tight? Or the clips you use are pulling your hair? I sometimes have breakage if I'm too rough with taking out the clips after my hair is dry.

THIS^^^ also make sure to invest in a GOOD MOISTURIZING setting foam I use keracare(not the super strength) it gives my ALOT of slip after their humecto conditioner so the comb glides right through

MDinLA

No, my rollers are definitely loose. Even recently before I noticed the hair loss at my temples, I was thinking to get a good set and straighten out my new growth, I need to roll then tighter.

My hair may break a bit when removing clips.

MDinLA

THIS^^^ also make sure to invest in a GOOD MOISTURIZING setting foam I use keracare(not the super strength) it gives my ALOT of slip after their humecto conditioner so the comb glides right through

I will try that. Thanks!

Evolving78

roll under instead of over to get your roots straighter. are you properly detangled before you set? are you gentle when removing your clips? you can use a serum to give more slip and softness to your sets as well

lovebug10

Paul Mitchell super skinny serum also gives good slip when rollersetting. Also is your hair detangled before you start to set? If you have knots and tangles before you set then you should use a wide tooth comb to detangle so less hair is ripped out with the rat tail comb.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

RENIBELL

i cant rollerset either, i think its too much manipulation for my hair and i end up with breakage.my hair thrives better using a blow dryer

Eiano

I did, the culprit for me was the metal clips I used becoming too hot and singeing off my hair. So sad, had a huge set back I'm still trying to recover from.

MDinLA

roll under instead of over to get your roots straighter. are you properly detangled before you set? are you gentle when removing your clips? you can use a serum to give more slip and softness to your sets as well

Yes, I roll under. They are not very tight. Properly detangled. Will try a serum.

MDinLA

i cant rollerset either, i think its too much manipulation for my hair and i end up with breakage.my hair thrives better using a blow dryer

Same here. In high school, I rollerset without problems. In college, I blow dried and curling iron without a problem. Over the past year now back to rollersetting, major hair breakage. Maybe I will go back to the blow dryer.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I know we all encourage rollersetting as it supposedly is best for our hair. I'm relaxed and have been rollersetting for one year. I've had breakage where I've never had before and hair loss that's gotten really bad at the temples. Has anyone had a similar experience?
MDinLA - no, I'm not having those issues. When do you think the breakage is occurring - detangling, rolling, pinning or after you're dry? Make sure you saturate the hair for extra slip.

MDinLA

MDinLA - no, I'm not having those issues. When do you think the breakage is occurring - detangling, rolling, pinning or after you're dry? Make sure you saturate the hair for extra slip.

I'm thinking the Breakage is from the rollers itself. I dint lose a lot of hair during the detangling or rat tail combing. But when you are losing your hair at the temples in addition with overall breakage, Ive got to guess that it's from the rollerset itself.

Evolving78

I'm thinking the Breakage is from the rollers itself. I dint lose a lot of hair during the detangling or rat tail combing. But when you are losing your hair at the temples in addition with overall breakage, Ive got to guess that it's from the rollerset itself.

either the plastic on the sides might not be smooth or the roller itself, or it is your tension. what is the length of your hair? you are using the grey, so you rolling several times, correct? it's got to be your tension for your hair to break. your hair maybe in a weaken state. how is your moisture/protein balance? is your hair mushy when wet, or straw like?

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
either the plastic on the sides might not be smooth or the roller itself, or it is your tension. what is the length of your hair? you are using the grey, so you rolling several times, correct? it's got to be your tension for your hair to break. your hair maybe in a weaken state. how is your moisture/protein balance? is your hair mushy when wet, or straw like?

I didn't see that she said she's using gray. Thanks for saying this shortdub78.

ITA, it must either be the tension or your hair is weak. Those are smooth rollers so they can't be causing the damage. Again, how much hair are we talking here? A few strands or plugs? The temples and crown are very delicate areas on most. Be careful to not use too much tension in these areas.

brittle_hair

How often are you rollersetting and are you sleeping in rollers, cause that might do it. Might be better to try the satin covered soft ones and/or rollerset less often..