hair over here, hair over there....rollersetting vent!

bluevalentine

is it just me, or does anyone else out there lose an unsettling amount of hair when rollersetting?? :perplexed no matter what i do or use...detangling shampoos, moisturizing conditioners, serums, detangling sprays, setting lotion, no setting lotion, leave ins (not all at once but u get the point) it seems i've tried it all but i still lose so much hair...as a matter of fact i just finished rollersetting today and there was hair EVERYWHERE, all in the combs and wrapped around the bottle of setting lotion :wallbash:

i've also tried the mohawk rollerset but uhhh....forget about it!!!! :nono: again hair everywhere. i think part of my problem is that i'm underprocessed in a lot of areas of my hair and its hard to detangle resulting in more hair loss than normal, so i'm thinking of giving up rollersetting. it feels like i'm giving myself a hair cut everytime i rollerset.

i hate to give it up, especially since i'm sick of bunning/ponytails, and rollersetting seems like a healthier alternative to blowdrying. but i think i might have to call it quits before i lose all my hair lol.

just wanted to share...are there any ladies out there who have become successful at rollersetting after being in a situation like i am, please share your stories and tips with me :)

MizzBrown

How much hair are we talking about?

I lose hair because i have to use that fine toothed comb to get EACH section slick and straight to place on the roller.

I do notice that different conditioners make me lose more/less hair. You gotta find a conditioner or leave-in with some good slip to detangle your hair with ease.

Natural Glow

I lose a lot of hair regardless. Just co-washing I get like a hand full of hair in the bottom of the tub that i have to clean up:barf:.

I've found that when trying to rollerset using the "mohawk" I lost much more hair than I do now. Now I part down the middle and do one side at a time and that helps with how much hair i lose. Also I stopped trying to get the rollers so tight that my roots would get straight. Now I just roll it and that's it. If my roots are wavy, I just flat iron them and keep it moving.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Are you losing big clumps of hair? If your hair isn't thinning, I wouldn't worry about it

bluevalentine

How much hair are we talking about?

I lose hair because i have to use that fine toothed comb to get EACH section slick and straight to place on the roller.

I do notice that different conditioners make me lose more/less hair. You gotta find a conditioner or leave-in with some good slip to detangle your hair with ease.

hmmm....let's see, i guess to me it just seems to be way too much hair loss to me it seems like maybe a palmful (or half a palm)?? even sometimes when my hair has finished drying and i take the roller out there's even hair on the roller.

and i use a fine toothed comb too, there's just no way around it for me.

maybe i haven't found that holy grail conditioner yet, things seem all fine and dandy when i detangle with a shower comb while rinsing but outside the shower is a different story

bluevalentine

I lose a lot of hair regardless. Just co-washing I get like a hand full of hair in the bottom of the tub that i have to clean up:barf:.

I've found that when trying to rollerset using the "mohawk" I lost much more hair than I do now. Now I part down the middle and do one side at a time and that helps with how much hair i lose. Also I stopped trying to get the rollers so tight that my roots would get straight. Now I just roll it and that's it. If my roots are wavy, I just flat iron them and keep it moving.

thanks for the tips. i think i am guilty of putting the rollers on too tight too, i was thinking of that as i was sitting under the dryer.

bluevalentine

Are you losing big clumps of hair? If your hair isn't thinning, I wouldn't worry about it

no i'm not losing big clumps of hair, that would probably be the death of me :drunk:.

and honestly i haven't noticed any thinning really. i guess it seems like i want to hold on to every strand and when i see it coming out when i'm rollersetting it really bothers me. makes me feel like i'm doing more harm than good.

MizzBrown

I dont know what to tell you.

ORS Replenishing is the only conditioner that makes me lose the least amt of hair while rollersetting. Gives a lot of slip.

I also get hairs on the roller after i take them out and you need to be careful with that and make sure you arent stretching your hair too tight on the roller cause it WILL snap when drying.

Change up those conditioners/detanglers. Something has to work. Otherwise, unless your hair is thinning and you arent retaining length like you should then something has to give.

MizzBrown

Do you stretch your relaxers? The longer i stretch, the more hair i see because i'm fighting two textures.

I got a box of conditioners for freshly relaxed hair and another box of conditioners/leave-ins for when i stretch.

Do you lose the same amt of hair when rollersetting after a fresh relaxer?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Do you comb each section with a wider tooth comb first? Before I comb with the rattail, I gently comb through each section with a regular tooth comb first. I lose way more hair-no matter how gentle I am- when I forgo the regular comb and just use the rattail

SweetSpirit86

You know...when I had hair :giggle: I would rollerset every now and then...and I found the rollers I used made a big difference on the amount of hair I lost in the process. I used to use those hard plastic ones with the grooves in them. You know, the ones that kind of grab your hair? I hope I'm making sense...but those would PULL out some of my hair.:( I switched to the magnetic and that stopped for the most part.

Liege4421

Have you tried using an ACV rinse as your final rinse? This has really helped with my detangling process. I also use a wide tooth comb before I try to comb each section with a smaller comb...HTH!

LivingDol1

i understand the frustration with seeing so much shed hair when you roller set. i used to be frustrated as well. but when i consider what i do to my hair each week, it makes sense that it's just shed hair... it's not me ripping my hair out.

for example, if i don't roller set and i only air dry and wear a bun twice a week, i will see that same amount of shed hair when i wash and detangle. or, if i blow dry my hair, i will see shed hairs.. maybe not as much because the air blows the hair out and around the bathroom. so you think it's less but it's really not...

plus, you have long hair, so when you see shed hair clumped up in your sink, it looks like a lot of hair but it really isn't. i actually counted the hair i lost when i did a roller set a few weeks ago and it was about 100-120 strands of hair. this is normal! most people lose 50-100 hairs every single day. no worries!

knt1229

To detangle your hair you may want to get a detangling comb. They are great and I typically don't lose any hair when I use mine. Maybe 1 or 2 strands of hair. After using the detangling comb switch to a wide tooth come then switch to the regular comb then use the fine tooth comb. This way your hair will be thoroughly combed and completely detangled before using the fine tooth comb. When I do this on my wash days the fine tooth comb just glides thru my hair. And I lose very little hair in the process.

Oh and this isn't nearly as many combs as it sounds like because my regular comb has regular teeth on one end and fine teeth on the other end.

Last edited:

LushLox

Do you comb each section with a wider tooth comb first? Before I comb with the rattail, I gently comb through each section with a regular tooth comb first. I lose way more hair-no matter how gentle I am- when I forgo the regular comb and just use the rattail

This is exactly how I do it. The longer I am in my stretch I have to be that much more gentle.

bluevalentine

Have you ever tried the Mane n Tail detangler? Its the best!:yep: It has helped me with my rollersets recently.

i've tried that too (i'm such a PJ) and it didn't work so good, i think i'm going to try the herbal kind, i got the regular kind and the ingredients just didn't look as good as the herbal one but i went against my better judgement and got it.

bluevalentine

Do you stretch your relaxers? The longer i stretch, the more hair i see because i'm fighting two textures.

I got a box of conditioners for freshly relaxed hair and another box of conditioners/leave-ins for when i stretch.

Do you lose the same amt of hair when rollersetting after a fresh relaxer?

i lose more hair the further along i am in my relaxer...way more. i think i need to find a product that is super detangling for when i'm actually rollersetting, right now i'm using the generic chi silk infusion and it works ok

bluevalentine

i do that too....i just my shower comb first then my rattail comb and thats when i really start seeing the hairs falling.