The Joy of Rollersetting...but I need some advice

InBloom

In my new-growth
Ok, I give.

For the longest, I thought that I could have healthy-looking hair while avoiding the huge undertaking of rollersetting. I figured I could still use heat responsibly, meaning making sure that I used heat protectants, frequent deep conditioning sessions and regular trims.

While I've had some success, I still had breakage. I'd even been able to minimize breakage (from what I used to experience) by being ever-so-gentle.

I once tried to rollerset my hair with an outcome of humongous fail. So, I ditched rollersetting for a while.

Then, recently, I thought to try this rollersetting beast again. Much to my surprise, my hair turned out LOVERLY. Yes, loverly.

I've never had hair soooooo soft. Even when I bumped the ends of my hair the next day, it took a teeny-weeny bit of heat to give the curl I wanted. So, I'm SOLD.

I'm a believer!!!!!

HOWEVER,

I noticed at each set takedown that I had....breakage?? WTH?

It's always at the top/center..almost near the crown. Only there. I had some thoughts, but figured I'd pose the question here....

I shampoo, deep condition and then get to the leave-ins. I use a liquid detangler first, then either Chi Keratin Mist or Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructerizer, and last a bit of serum. I then proceed to use a spray bottle filled with VERY diluted detangler (the same one I used first).

Is it the double detangler? First as a leave in and then again diluted as I re-wet. Or could it be that I shouldn't use any keratin or protein product at this point? Then I thought perhaps I don't coat that area with product very well and that's why I experience the slight breakage.

Let me also add that after the set takedown, and wrapping under a scarf, I have NO breakage in my sink (except for what I'm complaining about) afterwards. For this ...I'm still sold on rollersetting.

Now, I just need some input..............PRETTY PLEASE.

All advice/responses are welcome.

TIA

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I think you're using too much product. A lot of product makes the hair difficult to comb through and can result in breakage. Re-wet using water only

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Id nix the protein leave in for a rollerset and save that for a direct heat setting.

Evolving78

^^^i agree! leave the protein leave-in alone. that means the Chi and Aphogee. if you dc'ed your hair well, use a serum. Creme Of Nature Argan Oil leave-in spray is nice.

i use Keracare leave-in but it is creamy. i use a pea size amount for the front and back of my hair. i work it in really good. after that i will use a serum. i use One n Only Argan Oil, or Chi Silk Infusion, or Fantasia IC heat protectant (pink bottle). Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum is good too. make sure your hair is thoroughly detangled and make sure you remove your roller carefully. don't use too much tension. you could be rolling too tight. the hair shrinks once it is dry on the roller and if rolled too tight, the hair could snap and break off.

if your hair gets dry during the rolling process, use a spray water bottle to re-wet the hair.

InBloom

In my new-growth
Thanks to all that responded.

I'm going to stop using protein/keratin products unless I'm using direct heat. I'm going to only use water in my re-wetting spray bottle. I'll probably continue using a liquid moisturizing leave in (vs. creamy) and only add a tiny bit of serum. I may even ditch my detangler or use very little.

Side Note: My hair is sooo soft, still. It's amazing because it is NEVER this soft when I use direct heat for straightening..never.

WaistLengthDreams

I'm not sure about the Keratin Mist, but with the Aphogee green tea spray you have to go easy on it because it can cause brittle hair prone to breakage. I use it with my roller sets every time with great results with a few sprays (less than 10 pumps). HTH!

InBloom

In my new-growth
I did another rollerset this evening and I took the advice from everyone that responded. I didn't use any protein or keratin, and I used ONLY filtered water in my spray bottle.

I did use a little bit of a liquid-y cream leave-in and then applied a tiny amount of Paul Mitchell serum on top. That's it.

I was so nervous at the take-down, but pleasantly pleased because I had no breakage. None. I was extra worried about that little section I described before....no breakage.

I guess that my takeaway is that I shouldn't use a protein as a leave it at all. I'll stick with protein (wet) conditioning instead.

I'm so grateful for those who replied. I was a little bent because I didn't get a lot of responses. Truth is, quality of responses is what has helped me.

Thank you so much.