Hair Masks and Deep Conditioners....The difference?

kellistarr

Too lazy to seek out Miss Jessie's deep conditioner, I started digging around in my two hair boxes, deciding to try something different. I discovered that I didn't have as many deep conditioners as I thought. I had a lot of hair masks that told me to leave on for 5-7 minutes, some specified as little as 3 minutes.
None specified longer than 10. I was taken aback, quite a few are high-end and I thought I was shelling out dollars for deep conditioners. Looks like I read everything except how long I should leave it on.

I believe that an instant conditioner that is meant to be left on for a few minutes, doesn't penetrate the hair shaft, no matter how long you leave it on.
Anyone else go along with this? So, how does a mask differ from an instant conditioner? I do notice that most masks have really good ingredients, but is it penetrating the hair shaft or coating it? Do you think masks and deep conditioners differ, besides the obvious length of time that you leave the product on?

frizzy

I go by what the label says the product is for. It should say that it's either a moisture or repair treatment, along with whatever other descriptions.

kupenda

I honestly don't think there is a difference. But that's probably because I don't usually read the directions until after ive already used the product lol

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

kellistarr

If it needed more time to penetrate they would tell you to leave it on longer lol

Are you saying that a conditioner such as Pantene that tells you to comb through from root to tip, then rinse is penetrating the hair? Or coating it?
Trying to better understand your response.

I go by what the label says the product is for. It should say that it's either a moisture or repair treatment, along with whatever other descriptions.

Yes, I re-read some of the labels and some of them do state that it penetrates the hair as well as provide moisture, repair... this means to me that certain products can penetrate without staying on for 30 minutes.

I honestly don't think there is a difference. But that's probably because I don't usually read the directions until after ive already used the product lol
Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Perhaps there is little difference. At least as far as penetration goes. Maybe the difference is in the tasks that a mask and deep conditioner perform.

Thanks, Ladies, for trying to help me figure things out.