Hair Oils---MANY QUESTIONS!!!

Kookie

Please forgive me everyone -- for I know nothing about hair.
I'm new to the board...and have been trying to catch up and read thru some of the past discussion....then decided to post my question here anyway...

I'm sure it's just a simple question to everyone here...but I must ask anyway:

Hair Oils.
There's so many of them: jojoba, olive, almond, castor, carrot, tea trea, etc.

What are these oils good for?
I THOUGHT they were supposed to go on your SCALP--to be a light absorbing oil that kinda feeds the scalp (instead of hair grease).

But then...I hear people on hear saying that they use oil to MOISTURIZE
or
they use it to "seal" the hair.

Huh? I'm confused.
Is oil a moisturizer?
And "seal"? Can someone explain what that means a little better???

What I've been doing is oiling my SCALP...and I don't mix the oil with any kinda water or anything. Just straight out of the bottle.
And the oil isn't a creamy mixture...like some of them come--(you know in jars). The oils I have are actually liquid oils. I pour some inside of a plastic bottle with a spout at the top...and apply sparingly to my scalp...then massage.

But that's just how I do it...

Does anyone know what oil is really for....
Does anyone else apply the oil the way I do it?
How are you SUPPOSED to benefit from hair oils???

Many thanks to everyone who responds....

JLove74

Hair Oils.

What are these oils good for? oils are great for sealing in the moisturizer and adding shine to the hair (jojoba, olive, almond, grapseseed, castor, monio, Kemyi, WGO, etc). Also some oils are great growth stimulants, also known as essential oils an go directly no the scalp (peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, lavendar, thyme, etc) . Here is a site that has some good info: http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/Hair/hair_loss_aromatherapy.htm

Huh? I'm confused.
Is oil a moisturizer? Oil isn't a moisturizer, it's a sealent
And "seal"? Can someone explain what that means a little better??? after you've mousturized, use an oil to "seal in the moisture"

Kookie

Ooooh thanks so much JLove!

Let me ask another question:
What do YOU apply on a norm to YOUR scalp?
Anything?

Does the scalp necessarily need anything applied to it?
I used to apply a Hair Grease to the scalp--but don't do that anymore.

Just curious what anyone else applies direct to the scalp????

P.S.
Thanks for clearing up what the functionaility of hair oils were!!
I was confused..thinking it was a moisturizer!!
Thanks sooooo much for your help with that!!!!

JLove74

Kookie said:
Ooooh thanks so much JLove!

Let me ask another question:
What do YOU apply on a norm to YOUR scalp?
Anything? Since April, I've been using an essential oil blend to aid in regrowth on a bald spot I had - it really worked. But normally, I just use VitaPointe or some jojoba oil.

Does the scalp necessarily need anything applied to it? It depends, some people don't need anything on their scalp. But I do - sparingly.

P.S.
Thanks for clearing up what the functionaility of hair oils were!!
I was confused..thinking it was a moisturizer!!
Thanks sooooo much for your help with that!!!!

You're very welcome :)

blackmaven

Anything Is Possible
Hopefully this will assist you
11-11-2006, 07:14 AM
AtlantaJJ
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1760057", true);
<<--Feels Her Hair Grow!

Re: How Oils Benefit the Hair let's talk ladies
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmaven
I have been reading posts after posts about oils some I understand the others I am clueless. Please explain how you use the oils and the purpose.

Alma Oil -Great for prepoo - Best Pre-Poo I've tried period, I don't even need to condition if I steam prepoo with this, I get magic moisture from this.
Carrot Oil - Sealing the ends - adds great shine too
Castor OIl - Sealing the ends - Very heavy for my hair, keeps my feathers down when I'm wearing my ponys.
Coconut Oil - Conditioning - I agree
Jojoba Oil - Sealing the ends
Sweet Almond Oil - Sealing the ends - This one is very conditioning for me also
Monoi Oil - Unsure
Grapeseed Oil - Unsure
Olive Oil - Prepoo, Sealing the ends
Vatika Oil - Unsure - Coconut like, conditioning...sealing
Kemi Oil - Wet Hair not sure

My oil experience

Current: Chin Length (Oct. 2006)

Order Name Brand Supplements up to 75% Off!
UPA Clips :love: - - http://www.laceflair.com

henna highlights match
http://tightbod.blogspot.com/
http://www.myspace.com/tightbod

vickid

JLove74 said:
Hair Oils.

What are these oils good for? oils are great for sealing in the moisturizer and adding shine to the hair (jojoba, olive, almond, grapseseed, castor, monio, Kemyi, WGO, etc). Also some oils are great growth stimulants, also known as essential oils an go directly no the scalp (peppermint, tea tree, rosemary, lavendar, thyme, etc) . Here is a site that has some good info: http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/Hair/hair_loss_aromatherapy.htm

Huh? I'm confused.
And "seal"? Can someone explain what that means a little better??? after you've mousturized, use an oil to "seal in the moisture"

JLove, I have a question for you! If oils only seal in moisture, what do hot oil treatments do???

dlewis

JLove74 said:
Hair Oils.

Huh? I'm confused.

great answer

Kookie

Okay--now I'm confused again.... :confused:

And perhaps this question may require a brand new thread...but---
Now I guess I need to know the difference in Conditioning versus Moisturizing.:(

From what I think I know...
Moisturizers are used to coat the strands so that they are not dry--so that they are pliable
Conditioners are used to "moisturize" the hair cuticle--not just the surface.

I think Moistuirzers are just surface hemectants...
And Conditioners are moisturizers that penetrate the hair...

Does this make sense to anyone???

If what I say is true then....
To say that some of the oils are "conditioning agents" -- is the same as saying oils are "moisturizers" -- correct?

Aveena

Kookie said:
Okay--now I'm confused again.... :confused:

And perhaps this question may require a brand new thread...but---
Now I guess I need to know the difference in Conditioning versus Moisturizing.:(

From what I think I know...
Moisturizers are used to coat the strands so that they are not dry--so that they are pliable
Conditioners are used to "moisturize" the hair cuticle--not just the surface.

I think Moistuirzers are just surface hemectants...
And Conditioners are moisturizers that penetrate the hair...

Does this make sense to anyone???

If what I say is true then....
To say that some of the oils are "conditioning agents" -- is the same as saying oils are "moisturizers" -- correct?

I think the "words" moisturizer and conditioner are used interchangeably on this site to mean conditioners that penetrate the shaft. Many people use NTM Silk leave in conditioner for example or S-Curl to penetrate the hair shaft. and call that step moisturizing.

Oils are refered to as sealers on this site- that is meant to say that oils smooth the hair's keratin fiber and condition and protect the hair shaft from further damage but do not penetrate the shaft. So the trap the moisture. ei. conditioner

I tried to look up a hair dictionary...just to be technical but I didn't find one but I'm pretty sure this is the intended meaning when these terms are used on this site.

Kookie

Fran said:
I think the "words" moisturizer and conditioner are used interchangeably on this site to mean conditioners that penetrate the shaft. Many people use NTM Silk leave in conditioner for example or S-Curl to penetrate the hair shaft. and call that step moisturizing.

Oils are refered to as sealers on this site- that is meant to say that oils smooth the hair's keratin fiber and condition and protect the hair shaft from further damage but do not penetrate the shaft. So the trap the moisture. ei. conditioner

I tried to look up a hair dictionary...just to be technical but I didn't find one but I'm pretty sure this is the intended meaning when these terms are used on this site.

Wow--thanks Fran!
I'm sure I'm going to have more questions on this subject though...LOL!
Let me let this information soak in for a minute!
But what you say is making sense so far.....
:look:
LOL: Oops!! I've already pondered it and generated another thought.....

But then....I thought it was determined to do away with greases altogether and just oil the scalp instead.

I understand that not all people need to ever oil their scalps...
I guess they do fine with the natural oils the scalp creates...
But I, personally, think mine could use a little boost every now and then (especially during the winter months).
So then it's like...what do you put on your actual scalp???

I always hear people talking about what they do to their actual hair strands--you know...condition, moisture, and now -- "seal".
But what are people putting on their scalps??

I guess I just don't want to place these oils direct on my scalp if it's just clogging my pores. I want my scalp to be able to fully absorb these oils!

About a month ago, I actually went to the Beauty Supply Store and brought a whole slew of oils....all different kinds: Carrot, Jojoba, Cocunut, Almond, etc.
I had intended to place these oils direct on my scalp.
Is this unheard of?

I know JLove mentioned that some can be placed on scalp to aid in growth stimulation.

But like--does anyone do this as part of their regular regimen. I don't think I've seen anyone do this as part of their regimen, though!

They normally--just add drops to a water based mixture to mist the hair STRANDS. So then it's more so a moisturizer/conditioning agent.

Questions, Questions, Questions--sorry for so many!!!
They seem neverending!!

Aveena

Kookie said:
Wow--thanks Fran!
I'm sure I'm going to have more questions on this subject though...LOL!
Let me let this information soak in for a minute!
But what you say is making sense so far.....
:look:
LOL: Oops!! I've already pondered it and generated another thought.....

But then....I thought it was determined to do away with greases altogether and just oil the scalp instead.

I understand that not all people need to ever oil their scalps...
I guess they do fine with the natural oils the scalp creates...
But I, personally, think mine could use a little boost every now and then (especially during the winter months).
So then it's like...what do you put on your actual scalp???

I always hear people talking about what they do to their actual hair strands--you know...condition, moisture, and now -- "seal".
But what are people putting on their scalps??

I guess I just don't want to place these oils direct on my scalp if it's just clogging my pores. I want my scalp to be able to fully absorb these oils!

About a month ago, I actually went to the Beauty Supply Store and brought a whole slew of oils....all different kinds: Carrot, Jojoba, Cocunut, Almond, etc.
I had intended to place these oils direct on my scalp.
Is this unheard of?

I know JLove mentioned that some can be placed on scalp to aid in growth stimulation.

But like--does anyone do this as part of their regular regimen. I don't think I've seen anyone do this as part of their regimen, though!

They normally--just add drops to a water based mixture to mist the hair STRANDS. So then it's more so a moisturizer/conditioning agent.

Questions, Questions, Questions--sorry for so many!!!
They seem neverending!!

Chile I'm still trying to get all of this straight in my mind as well. :) I've even taken to the level of when is it safe to remoisturize..like.. how do you know that the oil has worn off before you apply more leave-in. Cuz I don't wash everyday but try to moisturize and seal everyday... but anyhoo...you really got me thinking on that one :grin:

But on the scalp issue...

I oil my scalp on a regular bases. I've done as frequently as every day to as little as 1x week. My scalp is dry. Keeping my scalp healthy is a battle all on it's own. I've found that oil soothes my scalp but it doesn't eliminate the dryness/flaking. Adding dandruff shampoo and seeing a dermatologist helped my scalp alot.. just adding that in as I do realize you said nothing on dandruff but I had it bad!! (my case is a little special cause I did have to see a doctor) but I now that my scalp is healthy...long winded.. sorry:D I do use oils/grease on my scalp and I don't have a problem with clogged pores. I like to use Natural Oasis because it is ultra light. But I'm currently using ORS Olive Oil hair grease.

shiningstar84

JLove74 said:
used for extra conditioning...

now I'm confused:lol: What type of conditioning?

There are protein conditioners which strenghten, right?
And there are moisturizing conditioners which moisturize, right?

Assuming there are only two types of conditioners, well three if you include those that moisturize/add strength at the same time..

Hot oils can't be moisturizing conditioners because cold oils aren't moisturizing... then by deduction hot oil treatments add strength? :confused:
Or is there another type of conditioning classification for hot oils? :confused:
Or am I making this too complicated?:confused:
Or is the answer unknown?:confused: Or is that the hot oils actually seal in moisture like cold oils, but the heat allows them to penetrate further than a cold oil ever could? And with the addition of heat, oils are able to smooth the hair shaft? :confused:

Also I've experienced softer hair after overnight oiling, even when I didn't apply any moisturizer to my hair...so I'm wondering, where did the moisture come from?

If oils get to hot they can fry chicken

Last edited:

camellia

I believe certain oils, virgin coconut, for example, are actually able to penetrate the hair shaft. There's a great thread about it on here. Sometimes I make up a "mask" of virgin coconut oil and honey, warm it and then apply it to my hair. I wrap it in a hot, damp towel and then go soak in the tub. When I rinse it out, my hair feels strong and is very glossy.

As far as putting stuff on my scalp, I just don't do it. I feel that it just clogs the pores and can lead to excessive shedding. My scalp does just fine with regular shampooing and nothing put on it.

preciousjewel76

camellia said:
I believe certain oils, virgin coconut, for example, are actually able to penetrate the hair shaft. There's a great thread about it on here. Sometimes I make up a "mask" of virgin coconut oil and honey, warm it and then apply it to my hair. I wrap it in a hot, damp towel and then go soak in the tub. When I rinse it out, my hair feels strong and is very glossy.

As far as putting stuff on my scalp, I just don't do it. I feel that it just clogs the pores and can lead to excessive shedding. My scalp does just fine with regular shampooing and nothing put on it.

Yes, I believe jojoba, sweet almond, and unrefined coconut oils CAN actually "moisturize" (penetrate hair shaft) as well as seal.

shiningstar84

^^^^I assume you're referring to these oils while they are cold.
So with the addition of heat, can other oils be considered as moisturizers? Does the heat allow the other, bigger oils to penetrate?

preciousjewel76

shiningstar84 said:
So with the addition of heat, can other oils be considered as moisturizers? Does the heat allow the other, bigger oils to penetrate?

You know, I'm not sure if heating other oils will break down the molecules so they can penetrate the hair...probably so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Kookie

shiningstar84 said:
now I'm confused:lol: What type of conditioning?

There are protein conditioners which strenghten, right?
And there are moisturizing conditioners which moisturize, right?

Assuming there are only two types of conditioners, well three if you include those that moisturize/add strength at the same time..

Hot oils can't be moisturizing conditioners because cold oils aren't moisturizing... then by deduction hot oil treatments add strength? :confused:
Or is there another type of conditioning classification for hot oils? :confused:
Or am I making this too complicated?:confused:
Or is the answer unknown?:confused: Or is that the hot oils actually seal in moisture like cold oils, but the heat allows them to penetrate further than a cold oil ever could? And with the addition of heat, oils are able to smooth the hair shaft? :confused:

Also I've experienced softer hair after overnight oiling, even when I didn't apply any moisturizer to my hair...so I'm wondering, where did the moisture come from?

If oils get to hot they can fry chicken

:lol: It's good to know that someone else is just as confused as I am!:lol:

Kookie

shiningstar84 said:

Excellent Question!!!
I'm trying to take note here...:confused:

shiningstar84

Oh I meant to say the heat expands the hair, making it easier to get for the oil to get in. Cathy Howse emphasized using heat with conditioner. She said if you don't use heat with the conditioner, then you're wasting your time because the conditioner just sits on top the hair or something like that...(Why is her site down:dizzy:)...Anyway I was thinking the same theory could apply to oils.

*scratches head:think:

quote:Increasing the temperature, or applying an alkaline lotion, separates the scales of the cuticle enough to allow the chemicals to pass through. After the processing is finished the scales gradually close up again.http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_34.htm

Last edited:

Kookie

camellia said:

OKay so.....
Does ANYBODY out there put ANYTHING on their scalps????
If not--I guess I need to rethink the mentality I originally had of hair care, huh? :perplexed

It's just that, it was part of a regimen that was practiced by mother as a kid--to "grease" the scalp on a weekly basis. Of course--my hair was much thicker/longer back then too. I don't want to necessarily grease my scalp....but wanted to see if ANYBODY else did anything to their scalp as a daily regimen?

Kookie

shiningstar84 said:
Oh I meant to say the heat expands the hair, making it easier to get for the oil to get in. Cathy Howse emphasized using heat with conditioner. She said if you don't use heat with the conditioner, then you're wasting your time because the conditioner just sits on top the hair or something like that...(Why is her site down:dizzy:)...Anyway I was thinking the same theory could apply to oils.

*scratches head:think:

Well...makes sense to me!
I could sure use some clarity on it though!

shiningstar84

Another quote/theory/fact from this site which can probably be applied to oils too.

Quote"Other ingredients in conditioners and other hair care preparations also work to smooth the outer layers of the cuticle. These may include protein extracts (collagen, and the amino acids obtained from silk) and panthenol and similar compounds, which are related to vitamin B5. Some of these are known to penetrate hair and to help to increase its moisture content. Well-conditioned hair is quite easy to de-tangle. Use a large-toothed comb or brush with rounded ends...The conditioners also help raised cuticle scales to lie flat against the hair surface. Not only does this improve the
shine and lustre of the hair: the change in the hair surface enhances the depth and life of the hair color too.
The smoothness of the conditioned hairs also means that detangling and combing the hair, both wet and dry, at once becomes easier. The hair becomes softer and more manageable. This is particularly important for dry, damaged or permed hair, to stop further deterioration."
http://www.pg.com/science/haircare/hair_twh_74.htm

My hair is def more easy to detangle after a hot oil treatment, or any oil treatment...

Last edited:

preciousjewel76

Kookie said:
OKay so.....
Does ANYBODY out there put ANYTHING on their scalps????
If not--I guess I need to rethink the mentality I originally had of hair care, huh? :perplexed

It's just that, it was part of a regimen that was practiced by mother as a kid--to "grease" the scalp on a weekly basis. Of course--my hair was much thicker/longer back then too. I don't want to necessarily grease my scalp....but wanted to see if ANYBODY else did anything to their scalp as a daily regimen?

Putting grease or oil on your scalp is a really personal decision. Some people swear by it, others hate it. It really depends on how your hair responds. Personally, anything with mineral oil in it weighs down my hair and makes my scalp feel gross. But my scalp gets dry. I "grease" it with Qhemet Biologics Amla Oil Pomade (bonus: it makes my new growth really soft) a couple times a week. I can't use "traditional" greases because of the mineral oil, but they work for some folks. You can also try jojoba oil on your scalp, because jojoba resembles the natural sebum produced by your skin/scalp.

shiningstar84

not really oil related, but interesting...beware...scientific terms lol

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The polypeptide chains[in hair] are in turn joined by side bonds. There are three types of side bonds: salt bonds, hydrogen bonds, and disulfide bonds. The salt and hydrogen bonds are most prevalent, but are weaker and are broken by heat and moisture[mushy hair]. It is the action of salt and hydrogen bonds that allow the use of wet roller sets and curling or flat irons to change the amount of curl in the hair. Disulfide bonds are fewer, but are much stronger. When you get a permanent wave service, or a relaxer, it is the disulfide bonds that are broken and reformed to give you the change in the amount of curl. Each type of side bond accounts for about one-third of the hair's strength."http://www.hairfinder.com/hairquestions/hairgrowth.htm

According to this...

I'm thinking moisture helps keep/create hydrogen bonds initially right? But eventually the bonds will weaken/break and hair will become mushy...

Which brings me to MTG, which is basically a sulfur oil mix. If hair has disulfide bonds, then the addition of mtg can strengthen/keep/create together these bonds. Which can explain why so many were successful with the use of mtg.Yes? No? Already common knowledge?
[/FONT]

shiningstar84

preciousjewel76 said:
Lawd, you're taking me back to my days of undergrad organic chemistry *shudder*.:lol:

lol the horror:eek: *whispers aromaticity and carbon - carbon double bonds :lol:

But on topic...or really off topic...not trying to hijack...or am i:sekret:

I'm thinking if Hair has three types of bonds...1 being hydrogen and the second being (di)sulfide...perhaps there should be focus on strengthening the sulfide bonds snce they are the strongest of all bonds.

Or do they really need strengthening?

Is it even possible to increase the strength of the sulfide bonds after the hair has broken the surface of the scalp? Or is that all determined before the hair breaks the scalp? and the sulfur from MTG helped a lot fo folks somehow...but how exactly? Was the sulfur absorbed into the blood stream via the scalp or could it have gone into the hair shaft?

Did anyone do a hot oil treatment with mtg or an alternative mtg?

Maybe I should email the Mtg folks...

I've never heard of salt bonds...

AtlantaJJ

ximenia said:
qhemet uses sulfur in her products and explains how it affects hair bonds here and here.
That is why these products are next on my list when the PJ in me is allowed back out to play. For now she is on lock down...:look:

Thanks for posting that, very informative!