Necessary Hair Oils...

Syrah

One thread, one question: if you had to recommend THREE and ONLY UP TO THREE hair oils that we should be using on our hair, what are they?

I've heard some folks mention:
Avocado Oil
Jajoba Oil
Almond Oil
Carrot Oil
Tea Tree Oil (for the scalp)
Hot 6 (Six)
Shea Butter Oil

What's the verdict? The three "tres necessare"?

star

Shea Butter
Tea Tree
Carrot

But I would add:

Olive Oil & Castor will not live without these two.

Sistaslick

I would have to say:

Pure oils--Coconut, Almond, and Jojoba-- my favorite oil though is Vatika Oil which is a combination of Coconut, lemon, amla and indian herbs. :D

dlewis

My favorite is amla oil, emu oil, and carrot oil. I would recommend carrot oil because it's easily available.

morehairplease

Sistaslick said:
I would have to say:

Pure oils--Coconut, Almond, and Jojoba-- my favorite oil though is Vatika Oil which is a combination of Coconut, lemon, amla and indian herbs. :D

:wave: Sistaslick,
I am getting the vatika oil this weekend! :) Glad to see that you are feeling better.

Sistaslick

tishee said:
:wave: Sistaslick,
I am getting the vatika oil this weekend! :) Glad to see that you are feeling better.

Great! yeah girl, I got hit with a pretty bad bug:lol: Doing much better now :D

beyondcute

Hot six, jojoba, and coconut. I also liek Vatika and Kercare Essential oils, both of them are good and i woulda picked those if you had listed them....

Neroli

I like to incorporate oils high in essential fatty acids (EFAs), particularly if hair is relaxed because relaxers remove EFA from hair. Back in the day, the relaxed sub-club compiled a list of oils high in EFAs and I try to keep a couple on hand at all times, they are listed in order with percentage EFA content:

Evening Primrose (81% EFA)
Hemp (80%)
Safflower (75%)
Flax (72%)
Grapeseed (71%)
Kukui (69%)
Sunflower (65%)
Corn (59%)
Soybean (57%)
Walnut (56%)
Wheatgerm (55%)
Almond (17%)
Avacado (10%)
Olive (8%)
Coconut (3%)
castor (??)
jojoba (??)

I've the seen the percentages vary a little but not much and was surprised that some of the more common oils used by members of this board (olive, coconut, avacado, etc.) has very low EFA content. I still haven't found the EFA content of two of my favorites: castor and jojoba, only that they "rich in essential fatty acids" so not sure how they measure up with the others. I continue to use what works (castor and jojoba are DA BOMB for my hair!), but have incorporated oils with higher EFA content. I tend to use the low EFAs for pre-treatments and to add to 'poos and condish and save the higher EFAs as part of my leave-in . . . I still love to use castor and jojoba as part of my leave-ins, but have relegated olive and coconut to pretreatments.

As a nexxus junkie, can't resist mentioning that the *botanic oil" is a mix of high EFAs - sunflower, safflower, soybean, corn, etc.). . .

HTH

morehairplease

Neroli said:
I like to incorporate oils high in essential fatty acids (EFAs), particularly if hair is relaxed because relaxers remove EFA from hair. Back in the day, the relaxed sub-club compiled a list of oils high in EFAs and I try to keep a couple on hand at all times, they are listed in order with percentage EFA content:

Hemp (80%)
Safflower (75%)
Flax (72%)
Grapeseed (71%)
Kukui (69%)
Sunflower (65%)
Corn (59%)
Soybean (57%)
Walnut (56%)
Wheatgerm (55%)
Almond (17%)
Avacado (10%)
Olive (8%)
Coconut (3%)
castor (??)
jojoba (??)

I've the seen the percentages vary a little but not much and was surprised that some of the more common oils used by members of this board (olive, coconut, avacado, etc.) has very low EFA content. I still haven't found the EFA content of two of my favorites: castor and jojoba, only that they "rich in essential fatty acids" so not sure how they measure up with the others. I continue to use what works (castor and jojoba are DA BOMB for my hair!), but have incorporated oils with higher EFA content. I tend to use the low EFAs for pre-treatments and to add to 'poos and condish and save the higher EFAs as part of my leave-in . . . I still love to use castor and jojoba as part of my leave-ins, but have relegated olive and coconut to pretreatments.

As a nexxus junkie, can't resist mentioning that the *botanic oil" is a mix of high EFAs - sunflower, safflower, soybean, corn, etc.). . .

HTH

hi,

do you mind posting everything that's in this? I have been searching the net high and low trying to find out what's in it. tia

~*~ShopAholic~*~

From your list I would have to choose Jojoba, shea butter, and carrot.
From my own list I would have to choose Jojoba, castor oil, and botanic oil.

Eiano

Sistaslick said:
I would have to say:

Coconut, Almond, and Jojoba

Done.
And I want to put Jojoba at the #1 spot because It most resembles the sebum that the scalp naturally produces. It's great!!!

Neroli

tishee said:
hi,

do you mind posting everything that's in this? I have been searching the net high and low trying to find out what's in it. tia

nexxu botanic oil - ingredients: safflower seed oil, sesame seed oil, sunflower seed oil, corn oil, soybean oil, lecithin, tocopherol.

BTW, www.nexxus.com provides a full list of ingredients for all nexxus product.

UmSumayyah

Castor oil and coconut oil.
I have almond, grapeseed, blackseed, and olive oils but have not yet determined them to be "must haves".
I may have to use/pay more attention to grapeseed as a high EFA oil though. :scratchch:

Oh and I want to try wheat germ. I love my Wheat Germ oil Mask from Salerm.

TwistNMx

I like Carrot Oil, Coconut Oil, and EVO. I sometimes like mixing them with my MTG.
But for now, Indian Castor Oil is my number one.:love:

mochamadness

Going the Distance
This is tough, but I'm gonna have to go with

jojoba
shea
castor

though there are many others that I use and love equally

LaNecia

Sistaslick said:
I would have to say:

]

ITA!! Adding Emu Oil and Amla Oils...I'm in Oil Heaven!!

vickid

Neroli said:

Hemp (80%)
Safflower (75%)
Flax (72%)
Grapeseed (71%)
Kukui (69%)
Sunflower (65%)
Corn (59%)
Soybean (57%)
Walnut (56%)
Wheatgerm (55%)
Almond (17%)
Avacado (10%)
Olive (8%)
Coconut (3%)
castor (??)
jojoba (??)

HTH

I use flax and grapeseed oils in my deep conditioner. After dealing with alopecia, I will never be without tea tree oil (I think I've purchased enough to own stock already!). It calms the scalp and fight inflammation. My dermatologist told me to always use anti-oxidant oils on my hair and scalp to fight hair loss so all of these are a must.

morehairplease

vickid said:
I use flax and grapeseed oils in my deep conditioner. After dealing with alopecia, I will never be without tea tree oil (I think I've purchased enough to own stock already!). It calms the scalp and fight inflammation. My dermatologist told me to always use anti-oxidant oils on my hair and scalp to fight hair loss so all of these are a must.

Hi vickid,

could I use the flax & grapeseed oil as a hot oil treatment? I am looking to for some oils that will give me great moisture.....would this be a good combo in your opinion?

tia

morehairplease

High Priestess said:
I like Carrot Oil, Coconut Oil, and EVO. I sometimes like mixing them with my MTG.
But for now, Indian Castor Oil is my number one.:love:

hi sweetie,

do you mind telling if there is anything else in this oil other than castor oil? tia