Hair shedding my the hand full!

leigh.hill

I can't figure out what caused the shedding (stress or winter weather) but I just want it to stop! I tried a tea rinse to help stop the shedding. It seemed to work for a few days, but now it is started again. I seriously don't even know how I still have hair on my head. How often can I do the tea rinse? Any other solutions?

southerncitygirl

leigh.hill

has you reggie changed? what is your reggie and hairstyle of choice? what products do you use? do you moisturize and seal? do you deep condtion? how often do you trim?

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I had shedding I was doing a strong Black Tea Rinse (Lipton's Black Pearl Tea) or Coffee Rinse x2 per week.

Once I got it under control, I began experimenting with other Teas, but I still do a Tea Rinse or Coffee Rinse x2 per week.

Other suggestions would be a Garlic Conditioner or Garlic Treatment.

faithVA

How is your diet? Are you taking supplements? How is your iron level? Make sure its not internal before you focus too much on the external.

Improving my diet and taking iron has reduced my shedding 85%

leigh.hill

leigh.hill

has you reggie changed? what is your reggie and hairstyle of choice? what products do you use? do you moisturize and seal? do you deep condtion? how often do you trim?

No reggie has not changed. It has been working well for about two years now.
Co-wash days:
Trader Joe's Tea Tree Conditioner
Giovanni Leave-in
Mixture of Bee mine moisture cream and Hairveda almond glaze
Chi silk infusion

DC day:
Giovanni shampoo
DC with Aubrey White Camellia mixed with Hairveda coconut oil
Giovanni Leave-in
Mixture of Bee mine moisture cream and Hairveda almond glaze
Chi silk infusion

I rarely if ever trim. I get a relaxer every 10 weeks.

leigh.hill

How is your diet? Are you taking supplements? How is your iron level? Make sure its not internal before you focus too much on the external.

Improving my diet and taking iron has reduced my shedding 85%

Diet is great. Supplements - yes. I am anemic so I take iron supplements.

Pompous Blue

You've gotten some great advice! 3 yrs ago when I had a bout with excessive shedding, I started doing tea rinses and adding garlic powder to my conditioners EVERY week; sometimes twice a week. I have not had any excessive-shedding drama since.

Why not review the current Tea Rinse, coffee rinse, etc., 2013 challenge thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=664751

Also, do a search for the 2012 challenge thread. There are GREAT suggestions, usage tips and testimonials in that thread!

But the key, for me, to curb excessive-shedding is consistent use of tea, coffee and garlic YEAR 'ROUND.

My time of the year for shedding excessively was early Fall. For the past 3 years, I haven't had that problem.

leigh.hill

Pompous Blue
THANK YOU!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:
I think I have been spoiled over the past year or two. I have not experienced shedding like this since summer 2012 (and I blamed that one on a crazy boss :nono:)

I did take a glance at the tea rinse challenge thread and I got a little overwhelmed. I will definitely up my tea rinses to 2x a week and add the garlic!

BonBon

If you are truly losing handfuls I would go to the doctor.

I've had shedding before but when it gets to the point loads is coming out, it's usually alopecia, or something stress related rather than something I can solve topically.

leigh.hill

If you are truly losing handfuls I would go to the doctor.

I've had shedding before but when it gets to the point loads is coming out, it's usually alopecia, or something stress related rather than something I can solve topically.

Good point! I just called and made the dermatologist appointment. I have seborrheic dermatitis, but my scalp has not been itching. Nevertheless, I have still been using the t-sal shampoo on the infected area.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I can't figure out what caused the shedding (stress or winter weather) but I just want it to stop! I tried a tea rinse to help stop the shedding. It seemed to work for a few days, but now it is started again. I seriously don't even know how I still have hair on my head. How often can I do the tea rinse? Any other solutions?
I put tea in a spray bottle and use it everyday as a leave-in.

You use a new product? Lots of stress (my hair comes out like that in extreme stress). Taking too many vitamins/supplements? Too few?

leigh.hill

Okay so I made an appointment with a random dermatologist and I am now thinking that ain't so good! Anyone have a suggestion for a dermatologist in the Raleigh area?

leigh.hill

I put tea in a spray bottle and use it everyday as a leave-in.

You use a new product? Lots of stress (my hair comes out like that in extreme stress). Taking too many vitamins/supplements? Too few?

Only new product that I tried is Giovanni shampoo and I love it!!! :drunk::spinning::yep: Please don't take it away from me! lol

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner works wonders for shedding. Now that I'm tea rinsing, I rarely use my Alter Ego Garlic. I tea rinse every wash day.