hair shrinkage

quitestorm22

Has anyone on the board experience shrinkage to the point where your hair just looks so short? I am almost 7 months post relaxer and have been trying to take care of it, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing more harm than good. I use to see the growth in my hair, now it seems like it's not growing at all not to mention it looks like my hair has broken off its so short. I am just frustrated I plan to perm sometime next week. I forgot to add that i take MSM, biotin,GNC Ultranourish hair, flaxseed oil. B complex. Has anyone experienced this permed and was amazed at the growth, could I have overdone it with the waiting. Sorry about the long post just dissapointed and frustrated!!!!!

J

JenniferMD

WOW, it was like reading my own situation. I'm 7 months post relaxer also, and was experiencing major shrinkage (i hope) until I got braids. We're taking the same vitamins and all except for the flaxseed oil. But back to you....I think you'll be fine. As long as you've been careful with the two textures you should be fine. I'm sure it's all shrinkage and you'll see amazing results once you relax. Make sure to update us once you relax....I REALLY want to hear how it goes. Good luck

Isis

Are you transitioning on purpose Quitestorm22? Or just extending your relaxer? I ask because the new growth and relaxed hair need to be really babied so there is no breakage. There are many transitioners and naturals on this board who can answer you better than I can about shrinkage. I know shrinkage is normal and depending on your hair type, your hair may not appear to be growing longer when it really is.

Ebony

wow! 7 mths is a long holdout. You don't sound like a transitioner if you're perming next week??
my shrinkage is dramatic. when i wear my hair curly, my hair falls right at my shoulders. when i get it blown straight it falls past bra strap. go figure! you may have a situation where your hair grows out as opposed to down. mine grows out & my sister's grows more downward. i don't know, it may be due to our different hair types. Who knows?
i have also heard on this board & from stylists though that some transitioners have breakage when trying to transition or just go without cutting off the permed hair because two types can't always be maintained. i say "some" because not everyone experiences this. proper care for both types is key when transitioning or extending touch-ups. constant moisture is also a necessity.

Valerie

Yes, it is very normal, some all it stretchage. My hair is natural for two years now and it is always looks short, when you stretch the new growth, you will see how much growth you have achieved.

Armyqt

I think you'll probaly be pleasantly surprised once you relax your hair. Please be sure and give us an update.

Vanessa22

I read a few days ago about the "line of demarcation." I'm 6 months post relaxer and this information was very useful to me. It's the point where the new growth and the relaxed hair meets, which tends to be the weakest point of the hair. It constantly must be moisturized to prevent breakage, along with your ends. Hopefully, you aren't experience breakage, but shrinkage. Hope this helps you out! Good luck!

pookeylou

Shrinkage is defintely normal for OUR hair. But if you are going to perm it...then you will see the length once it is chemically altered.