UGH..SHRINKAGE!!!!

Ms_Twana

Okay. I really think my shrinkage is the reason I want to straighten my hair. I'm tired of "looking like" I have short hair. Shrinkage is REALLY starting to piss me off. My hair is past my shoulders in the back, at my shoulders on the side, and past my chin in the front. But my hair shrinks about 50% in twists, and probably 80% in a WNG. That's so annoying.

How does shrinkage work anyway?? Is it the tigher your curls, the more shrinkage?? I have REALLY tight coils in some sections, not so tight coils in other sections, and then I have really small perfect spirals in other sections.

Then I see other ladies who consider themselves type 4a whose hair shows A LOT more length than mines, and I get annoyed again!! If I straightened my hair, I could wear it in a ponytail with no problem. But, in it's natural state, the top of my hair ain't having it, and I have to use tons of bobby pins.

I just don't know what to do..or if there's anything I CAN do!!!

PerplexingComplex

I think that shrinkage is caused by the amount of clumping your hair has (more strands coming together should add more weight) and the density of your hair (thinner density hangs more). I like my shrinkage because sometimes i like looking like i have short hair and i have the ability to get that look without cutting my hair.

SimpleBrooklyn

Just had to say...i feel your frustration.

But I guess the longer your hair gets the more you will appreciate shrinkage because your hair will be more versatile and you can, like she said, pull off short styles when you hair is actually longer.

Kurly K

im experiencing the same issue but my hair is short...but i feel like i cant c any progress with the shrinkage and its discouraging at times :nono:

Ms Lala

I feel you. I notice that some ladies with a similar texture to mine can wash and go with much less shrinkage. My hair shrinks soooo much so I totally understand. I usually style my hair while it is dry to help reduce this. At the same time it's kind of fun sometimes to have your hair seem multiple lengths. But spending hours on a style and having it shrink up is no fun!

michaela

Natural 4b
i know how you feel.
i have alot of shrinkage.....Shrinks up to Shoulder Length.
When i want to wear A Bun People are Amazed At how big my head is when

its actually my hair!!!:lachen::lachen::lachen:...Shrinkage :wallbash:
but i actually like my shrinkage but at times it gets to me.

Ms_Twana

I feel you. I notice that some ladies with a similar texture to mine can wash and go with much less shrinkage. My hair shrinks soooo much so I totally understand. I usually style my hair while it is dry to help reduce this. At the same time it's kind of fun sometimes to have your hair seem multiple lengths. But spending hours on a style and having it shrink up is no fun!

GIRL...YOU are one of the people that I'm jealous of. Look at your PUFF!!!! I WISH my puff looked like that!!! LOL!!!

How long is your hair??

Ms Lala

GIRL...YOU are one of the people that I'm jealous of. Look at your PUFF!!!! I WISH my puff looked like that!!! LOL!!!

How long is your hair??

Thanks, don't be jealous. I am having my own hair woes over here, trust me. My hair is about an inch above BSL, I recently cut it. I have been trying to reach MBL for 2 years and I keep having to cut it because of damage on my ends. I think most of it is from coloring my hair prior to joining the boards but most of that hair is gone now. I had to blow dry my hair to get it like that. My puff looks life a golf ball after it shrinks up LOL!!!!

Ms Lala

Ok Ms Twana I just saw you fotki and you have ALOT of hair. It is thick and lush. THere's alot you can do w/it. Have you tried doing your twist outs on blow dried hair to see if you like the results better. When my twists shrink up rollersetting them usually helps stretch them back out. IHTH

Ms_Twana

Ok Ms Twana I just saw you fotki and you have ALOT of hair. It is thick and lush. THere's alot you can do w/it. Have you tried doing your twist outs on blow dried hair to see if you like the results better. When my twists shrink up rollersetting them usually helps stretch them back out. IHTH

Thanks Lala. I've haven't tried the twistout on dry hair since I've been natural. The question is, how do I keep my hair from curling up while it's drying??

Cichelle

I hear ya. I'm sort of at peace with my shrinkage at the moment, but that feeling changes from time to time. My biggest complaint the two plus years following my big chop was SHRINKAGE. At one point my hair was shrinking up and forming a triangle on my head. It was not a good look. Finally it grew out of that stage and I was so happy.

I have adjusted my length goals a few times because of shrinkage. At this point I am not as frustrated about it because it is getting to a length that even when it shrinks, I can no longer consider it short. Still, with my longest layer past hip length, most people see me as a person who has hair about bsl, sometimes a bit longer or shorter, depending. Shrinkage varies for me depending on weather, product, how I dry my hair, what accessories and styles, etc. A braid down the back shrinks up to touching the top of my bra strap!

Try and be patient. After it grows some more, you might be happier with the length it is when it's dry. Have you tried banding your hair?

glamazon386

How does shrinkage work anyway?? Is it the tigher your curls, the more shrinkage?? I have REALLY tight coils in some sections, not so tight coils in other sections, and then I have really small perfect spirals in other sections.

Then I see other ladies who consider themselves type 4a whose hair shows A LOT more length than mines, and I get annoyed again!! If I straightened my hair, I could wear it in a ponytail with no problem. But, in it's natural state, the top of my hair ain't having it, and I have to use tons of bobby pins.

I just don't know what to do..or if there's anything I CAN do!!!

The bolded is true. It's just the nature of natural hair. The only thing you can do is wear it in stretched styles, blow it out or straighten it. You have to manipulate it some kind of way before it's totally dry to keep it from shrinking all the way. I tend to airdry in plaits which helps.

Your hair is longer than mine and I'm able to pull mine back and have been since shortly after BCing. All your hair doesn't have to go back. The trick is just to get it all slicked down while it's wet. Maybe it's just your technique?

Ms_Twana

The bolded is true. It's just the nature of natural hair. The only thing you can do is wear it in stretched styles, blow it out or straighten it. You have to manipulate it some kind of way before it's totally dry to keep it from shrinking all the way. I tend to airdry in plaits which helps.

Your hair is longer than mine and I'm able to pull mine back and have been since shortly after BCing. All your hair doesn't have to go back. The trick is just to get it all slicked down while it's wet. Maybe it's just your technique?

Bmore, you told me how to get my hair in a ponytail in the first place. It's just irritating that ALL of my hair will go in the ponytail holder when straight. But when it's wet, these damn coils at the top won't stretch enough to go into the ponytail.

glamazon386

Bmore, you told me how to get my hair in a ponytail in the first place. It's just irritating that ALL of my hair will go in the ponytail holder when straight. But when it's wet, these damn coils at the top won't stretch enough to go into the ponytail.

Mine don't either. The front doesn't reach when it's wet. Now that I think about it, the front doesn't even reach when it's straight. I just slick it down while it's wet and you can't tell the difference. What are you using to pull it back? a brush? a comb? I got it flatter with a comb but then I switched to a denman which works like a comb imo. It stretches it enough to get it to lay down and be pulled back. Then i just smooth the gel on with my hands and brush it with the soft bristle brush as the last step.

ETA: The problem I have with my hair is the opposite. As long as my hair is wet it stays pefectly but as soon as it starts to dry later on in the day some of the shorter pieces will start to draw up. Like especially on the right by my ear. IDK why it's only that one part. I usually put a click clack right there to keep it from moving once it dries.

Ms Lala

Yeah the very front of my hair is short also. I use gel and a brush to slick it down while it's damp and then I tie it down w/ a scarf. I even used to do this when I was relaxed .
AS far as drying to reduce shrinkag- When I airdry ( which I have just successfully learned to do) I put my hair in BIG twists. Probably 6 on my whole head and let it dry. If I have to leave the house I'll wear a cloth head wrap over them. For straighter airdrying alot of ladies on here have some good methods like banding, and some braid or use ponytails. You might want to do a search on airdrying. Some ladies also rollerset, I personally don't have the patience for it just yet. When I blow dry I usually towel dry my hair first, apply heat protectant, then blowdry. If I want to reduce my heat usage I'll let my hair airdry for about an hour then use the blowdryer on low.

Ms Lala

I hear ya. I'm sort of at peace with my shrinkage at the moment, but that feeling changes from time to time. My biggest complaint the two plus years following my big chop was SHRINKAGE. At one point my hair was shrinking up and forming a triangle on my head. It was not a good look. Finally it grew out of that stage and I was so happy.

I have adjusted my length goals a few times because of shrinkage. At this point I am not as frustrated about it because it is getting to a length that even when it shrinks, I can no longer consider it short. Still, with my longest layer past hip length, most people see me as a person who has hair about bsl, sometimes a bit longer or shorter, depending. Shrinkage varies for me depending on weather, product, how I dry my hair, what accessories and styles, etc. A braid down the back shrinks up to touching the top of my bra strap!

Try and be patient. After it grows some more, you might be happier with the length it is when it's dry. Have you tried banding your hair?

OT- your hair is beautiful, it has grown so much. I remember the length it was when I first joined the board. I am in awe :worship2:

Neith

I have a very similar hairtype AND length as you... and my hair used to shrink to 2 inches even after getting a texturizer.

It really would be years until you "look" like you have long hair. I've even seen members bsl and beyond whose natural hair shrinks to shoulder length, so your hair may never look long without extra styling. Shrinkage is a way of life for naturals.

I couldn't take it. I can't put my hair up, I HATE the in between length as a natural.

I relaxed and plan to go natural in the next couple of years and just transition for a long time so I don't feel bald.

Good luck with your hair. You just need to have a lot of patience!

Ms Lala

I have a very similar hairtype AND length as you... and my hair used to shrink to 2 inches even after getting a texturizer.

It really would be years until you "look" like you have long hair. I've even seen members bsl and beyond whose natural hair shrinks to shoulder length, so your hair may never look long without extra styling. Shrinkage is a way of life for naturals.

I couldn't take it. I can't put my hair up, I HATE the in between length as a natural.

I relaxed and plan to go natural in the next couple of years and just transition for a long time so I don't feel bald.

Ok you have just discouraged me from getting a texturizer. I was really thinking about it but I would be so mad if I still have alot of shrinkage.

Neith

Ok you have just discouraged me from getting a texturizer. I was really thinking about it but I would be so mad if I still have alot of shrinkage.

It may work for you... you know every head of hair is different :yep:

I'd do a test on a couple of strands of hair to see how it'd react.

Ms_Twana

It really would be years until you "look" like you have long hair. I've even seen members bsl and beyond whose natural hair shrinks to shoulder length, so your hair may never look long without extra styling.

I know. I was thinking that I'll have to be BSL before my hair is a nice length natural. I'm just not a patient person. That's the problem. :lachen:

But then again. I went and looked at my Fotki earlier, and I saw a twistout that I did a year ago, and there is a HUGE difference in my twistouts now. So, I know it won't be so bad after a while. I guess, like you said, it's just this in between stage.

zzirvingj

Just had to say...i feel your frustration.

But I guess the longer your hair gets the more you will appreciate shrinkage because your hair will be more versatile and you can, like she said, pull off short styles when you hair is actually longer.

I agree with the bolded. I wasn't too hot about shrinkage my first 3 years as a natural. But now I kinda like it cuz people get shocked when I actually do wear it down. They just can't believe the actual length because shrinkage has everyone thinking I have shoulder length hair :yep:

zzirvingj

I can attest to the bolded! If I were to wash my hair and let it actually shrink all the way up..you wouldn't believe how short it gets! (Actually I'm afraid to do it because of the process of detangling that I would have to do afterwards. I haven't washed my hair and let it dry freeform in YEARS.)

Like Bmore said, shrinkage is the nature of natural hair. But if you do want to stay natural....two of the most important things (to me) that will get you through this "in between" stage are time and patience.

Ms_Twana

I can attest to the bolded! If I were to wash my hair and let it actually shrink all the way up..you wouldn't believe how short it gets! (Actually I'm afraid to do it because of the process of detangling that I would have to do afterwards. I haven't washed my hair and let it dry freeform in YEARS.)

Like Bmore said, shrinkage is the nature of natural hair. But if you do want to stay natural....two of the most important things (to me) that will get you through this "in between" stage are time and patience.

Thanks ladies. Zzirvingj, you're another natural whose hair I look at and think, "man, I wish my hair was that long." And you said your first 3 years you battled the shrinkage. GREAT..I've got AT LEAST a whole year and a half to go. LOL!!:lachen:

And I'm like you too. When I do WNG's, detangling afterwards is a MONSTER. I thought I would wear mostly WNG's this summer because I'll be swimming. I did it for 1 week and was like..NOPE!! So, I'm back in my twists. LOL!!

zzirvingj

Thanks ladies. Zzirvingj, you're another natural whose hair I look at and think, "man, I wish my hair was that long." And you said your first 3 years you battled the shrinkage. GREAT..I've got AT LEAST a whole year and a half to go. LOL!!:lachen:

And I'm like you too. When I do WNG's, detangling afterwards is a MONSTER. I thought I would wear mostly WNG's this summer because I'll be swimming. I did it for 1 week and was like..NOPE!! So, I'm back in my twists. LOL!!

Now don't get me wrong now...I didn't just battle my shrinkage the first 3 years only LOL :lachen: Sometimes I STILL battle it! :look:

And TRUST ME...when I was at what I considered to be my "in between stage"...there were PLENTY of times I wished my hair was "so-n-so's length"...so I can definitely relate. I still feel that way sometimes (I mean...can I just get to Chicoro's or Cichelle's or Sylver2's or Starr's or Flowerhair's or Mochamadness's length?? LOL)

No but really...the good news is that (in my opinion at least)...you will not be at this stage for much longer ;) If you can already look back at pics and see that you've made progress, make sure you continue to take pics so you can see more progress as time passes. You just might be surprised. That's the beauty of natural hair...it's always "surprising" us (at least I know mine surprises me alot anyways :lachen::look:)

Ms_Twana

Now don't get me wrong now...I didn't just battle my shrinkage the first 3 years only LOL :lachen: Sometimes I STILL battle it! :look:

And TRUST ME...when I was at what I considered to be my "in between stage"...there were PLENTY of times I wished my hair was "so-n-so's length"...so I can definitely relate. I still feel that way sometimes (I mean...can I just get to Chicoro's or Cichelle's or Sylver2's or Starr's or Flowerhair's or Mochamadness's length?? LOL)

No but really...the good news is that (in my opinion at least)...you will not be at this stage for much longer ;) If you can already look back at pics and see that you've made progress, make sure you continue to take pics so you can see more progress as time passes. You just might be surprised. That's the beauty of natural hair...it's always "surprising" us (at least I know mine surprises me alot anyways :lachen::look:)

See my texture looks A LOT like yours did when you first BCed, and when you had it in shorter twists. Actually, you were one of the first ladies that made me wonder, "Man, how does her hair show so much length when our texture looks the same?" LOL!!! Then you told me your hair was a twistout (in the picture you had in your siggy at the time). But, as I looked through your album AGAIN, lol, you have become inspiration for me. If my hair can look ANYTHING like yours in 2012 (I started 4 yrs after you), then I'm happy with that. :grin:

mscocoface

You are among friends with this issue. The last time I did a puff it shrunk up to my ears and my hair was bsl.

I haven't worn one since. I went on a protective style binge and will be there until Dec. 08 when I hope and pray I will be at or past MBL.

I refuse to even look at my length now. I am in a daily cowash and protective challenge.

I was getting really frustrated and have learned some serious patience with grown kinky natural hair. It has never been this long in my life so I am in some uncharted territory here.

Here is my hair with braids taken down showing BSL on the other side.

Here it is same length with shrinkage

So instead of dealing with the agony of shrinkage with my daily cowashes I am doing box braids in the back with flat twists up front and a wig which I use as a 3/4 on the back. This girlfriend is called Jetta by Dena Cali Midway.

Bought 2 of them and will be using them until Dec. 08 til I reach my goal of MBL.

I know wigs are not for everyone but this is how I am dealing with the shrinkage issue for now.

Hang in there lady. :yep: