Hair typing by naani.com a fifth category!

Should there be a fifth hair type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Melissa-jane

I categorically reject this hair typing business. It doesn't help me care for my hair and IMO it's gotten out of control. It's just another way for us to subtly divide ourselves. Frankly, I regret the day that Andre came up with this 1234 booshwah.
I'd like to :hammer: him.

I agree, although not entirely, the only function that this "booshwah:lachen:" serves is to help us describe our hair to our virtual friends, especially if you have a crap camera. However it has not helped me because I can never tell what type I am and I do not think that your type helps you care for your hair better. Its a very unique experience no matter what your type is.

Celestial

diaper: garment consisting of a folded cloth drawn up between the legs and fastened at the waist; worn by infants to catch excrement
crisp: (of hair) in small tight curls
Source: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A diaper (in North America) or nappy (in the United Kingdom, Australia, many Commonwealth countries and Ireland) is a sponge-like garment which ...
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nappy

An absorbent garment worn by a baby who does not yet have voluntary control of its bladder and bowels or by someone who is incontinent; Having a nap (of cloth etc.); Of hair: tightly curled or twisted; frizzy (occasionally specifically in reference to Blacks' textured hair)
Source: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nappy

a baby’s diaper
Source: www.erinhart.com/glossary.htm

Absorbent garment for infants. Modified versions for adults are known as all-in-ones.
Source: www.health.gov.au/internet/main/Publishing.nsf/Content/continence-definit2.htm

a small bowl with many functional uses. It may or may not have a handle.
Source: www.replacements.com/mfghist/dictionary4.htm

refers to a bowl.
Source: www.justglass-online.com/collectibles/glossary-of-glass-terms.html

in dinnerware, a round vegetable dish. A glassware nappy, however, is any round or square dish from fruit size up, used for various serving purposes.
Source: www.chinatraders.com/gen/definitions.htm

The term nappy must have come from the knot that you form on the diaper to keep it on.

Hmmm....The word nappy as it refer to hair come from the word Nap which means to knot. You know you could have used a dictionary.

Celestial

Well I wish you said this before:drunk:

Yes it does make sense, I did not even know that nap was a knot or kink, that would mean that nappy and kinky are the same thing which would make the article....(remember that ole article that started this riot) :grin:. That would make the categories in the article incorrect as nappy and kinky describe the same texture.

I am loosely kinky, I am not a three but the texture on my crown are the same resembles as a 3b, but my hair is kinky, it can grow to apl without a great regime. My aunt would be a 4b has very small tight kinks and her hair hardly ever retains length due to her management of her texture. However by the definition of nap we are both nappy and both kinky, so maybe that is where the answer lies, we do not need a fifth category. A and B is a fitting subcategorisation of the existing category, if one really wanted to break it down further we could add a C or a D as well.

Yes, Nappy and Kinky means the same thing, but I think the word 'kinky' is Swedish (germanic) in origin while the word Nappy (Nap) is a direct derivative from the english language. I don't care about any of the hair categories because I find them awfully silly. I just know I can tell the difference between straight hair; curly hair; nappy hair; and wavy hair and I think everyone with honest eyes can tell, too.

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
This is so stupid. Why does hair have to be so complicated. And why are people so obsessed with the "type?"

msa

Who came up with the word nappy to describe hair?

http://www.chinatraders.com/gen/definitions.htm
The term nappy must have come from the knot that you form on the diaper to keep it on.

Actually, I think describing hair as "nappy" came from the use of the word "nap" when describing textile.

...nap is the raised (fuzzy) surface on certain kinds of cloth, such as velvet. Nap can refer additionally to other surfaces that look like the surface of a napped cloth, such as the surface of a felt or beaver hat.

Starting around the 14th century, the word referred originally to the roughness of woven cloth before it was sheared.[1][2] When cloth, especially woolen cloth, is woven, the surface of the cloth is not smooth, and this roughness is the nap.

I think the word was used by non-blacks to describe black people's hair. Not to say that our hair is automatically fuzzy or rough, just that within the context of slavery with nothing to groom our hair with that's how it appeared. The nap of a carpet is actually very similar to a lot of people's hair.

IMO, "nappy" is an accurate term that was used in a negative and demeaning manner and now there's so much stigma attached to it that people don't want to use it anymore.

Melissa-jane

Hmmm....The word nappy as it refer to hair come from the word Nap which means to knot. You know you could have used a dictionary.

I did! I think you misunderstand what I was getting at...I di highlight the hair definition and then comment on why it also means diaper, due to the "knot" present in afro hair and the diaper....I was agreeing with you.:sad:

Melissa-jane

Yes, Nappy and Kinky means the same thing, but I think the word 'kinky' is Swedish (germanic) in origin while the word Nappy (Nap) is a direct derivative from the english language. I don't care about any of the hair categories because I find them awfully silly. I just know I can tell the difference between straight hair; curly hair; nappy hair; and wavy hair and I think everyone with honest eyes can tell, too.

Yes you can, especially in the flesh, I think it all came about because people want to understand why the same thing does not work for everybody, and they blame it on "hair type". I have mixed textures and trying to describe them is a hard. However this conversation has lead me to the conclusion that afro hair is afro hair and sometimes its tightly kinked sometimes its loosly kinked and that it. Nice and simple.

Melissa-jane

The hair on my head is just as coarse as the hair on my vagina.

..So I guess that kills the claim that all black 4's have fine hair. :lachen:

:blush: me too, its exactly the same...I consider my hair to be course. I like that I have thick strands as I can handle more manipulation and heat/chemicals. (if i so desire:yep:)

robot.

I saw this article a while ago, before I chopped and I have only just shared, reading your comments clarifies why I felt slightly uncomfortable, kinky, nappy its all just jargon, not an accurate description.

My hair is not tightly coiled neither is it completely defined, I am 1/4 indian so I have many textures on my head, this is the only reason why I am interested in the hair type debate.

Girl. :lachen: You'd have many textures on your head even if you weren't.

Celestial

I did! I think you misunderstand what I was getting at...I di highlight the hair definition and then comment on why it also means diaper, due to the "knot" present in afro hair and the diaper....I was agreeing with you.:sad:

Nappy as it refers to a diaper gets its name because a "diaper" within itself is nothing other than a napkin and please don't think a kitchen cloth tissue. Nappy as it refers to hair come from the word Nap which means to knot.

AllAboutMoi

Is it just me or do these hair typing systems rarely have good visible pictures of the hair types they describe. A picture of Jill Scott from 100 yards away doesn't help. I need a close up.

Melissa-jane

Is it just me or do these hair typing systems rarely have good visible pictures of the hair types they describe. A picture of Jill Scott from 100 yards away doesn't help. I need a close up.

I agree, I think the hair typing system is flawed because it was not set up properly in the first place, with consistent pictures of hair without product, close up and personal.