Hair typing by naani.com a fifth category!

Should there be a fifth hair type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Celestial

Sigh, I have never heard of the word n!ggardly, and I am curious as to why you chose to bring it up:perplexed. Yet again do we need a fifth category WHATEVER you chose to call it, in order to describe hair that is very compact with tiny undefined coils. Feel free to call your hair nappy if that is what you feel is a fitting description. Personaly i think it would be nice to describe it as something not associated with a textile used for cleaning bodily functions :rolleyes:.

I assumed you didn't hear of the word N!ggardly and that is why I used it as an example. Just as people never heard of the word "nappy" doesn't mean it is not in existence. We don't need a fifth category but I think we know the difference between Curly, Straight, Nappy, Wavy. What do you associate the words curly, straight, and wavy with. What do you associate the word thin and thick with? I see there are always confusion and "I don't like" when it concerns black hair.

Celestial

Please describe why you love the word nappy so much so we can all appreciate your much repeated:yawn: point.

LOL. Because Nappy is what Nappy hair is. Why black women reject the word nappy though their hair reflect that but don't have a problem with words such as curly, wavy or straight. I think it is time for us to stop acting stupid.

Celestial

:nono:and...where did you get your dictionary? nobody calls me coloured as its not a fitting description and its ignorant and offensive (kicks soap box) now get off.

I don't understand your point. Whether you find the word Colored fitting or not or ignorant or offensive doesn't change the fact if someone call you colored, if you are black, you would understand it.

FindingMe

OK, this is better to read. :thankyou:

I do have kinky hair. I would actually describe it as kinky. I do have curls, but they are not discernible. The strands don't work in tandem with each other. When left alone to dry, it frizzes. This is why WnGs are not very successful for me. However, with the right products and styling (two-strand twists, braids, etc), my hair mimics curly hair.

I do have some hair at the nape of my neck that is more curly than kinky and this hair will form coils and clump together (and has more shine) than the rest. I would consider this curly hair. I don't have any hair on my head that she designates as nappy, but the defintion for this grouping made sense to me as well.

I like how she describe the degree, behavior and needs of the different hair classifications. If she had other terms besides kinky and nappy (which offends some) I think her classification would catch on.

Melissa-jane

I assumed you didn't hear of the word N!ggardly and that is why I used it as an example. Just as people never heard of the word "nappy" doesn't mean it is not in existence. We don't need a fifth category but I think we know the difference between Curly, Straight, Nappy, Wavy. What do you associate the words curly, straight, and wavy with. What do you associate the word thin and thick with? I see there are always confusion and "I don't like" when it concerns black hair.

I have read your thoughts with interest and thank you for your input, I must respect that everyone has their opinion to share. However can I ask you to refrain from saying people are stupid for disliking a word that you clearly favor, its a bit rude and unpleasant. Other than that thank you, you have given me plenty to consider.

Happy Hair Journey.:wave:

Melissa-jane

OK, this is better to read. :thankyou:

I do have kinky hair. I would actually describe it as kinky. I do have curls, but they are not discernible. The strands don't work in tandem with each other. When left alone to dry, it frizzes. This is why WnGs are not very successful for me. However, with the right products and styling (two-strand twists, braids, etc), my hair mimics curly hair.

I do have some hair at the nape of my neck that is more curly than kinky and this hair will form coils and clump together (and has more shine) than the rest. I would consider this curly hair. I don't have any hair on my head that she designates as nappy, but the defintion for this grouping made sense to me as well.

I like how she describe the degree, behavior and needs of the different hair classifications. If she had other terms besides kinky and nappy (which offends some) I think her classification would catch on.

Yes the sides of my head I would call kinky but the crown I would call curly, I can twist my sides and they look great but the curly part does not want to twist at all.

What did any one think about the idea that the last category is better off in a twisted or loc style. I am not sure if I agree, although i have a friend with sister loc 4b hair and it looks much better than my curly hair would.

Melissa-jane

LOL. Because Nappy is what Nappy hair is. Why black women reject the word nappy though their hair reflect that but don't have a problem with words such as curly, wavy or straight. I think it is time for us to stop acting stupid.

:look: Because nappy is a term but does not describe the texture/look of the hair, can you not see that your hair does not resemble a diaper?

My hair does have "kinks" therefore kinky matches it. We are not rejecting nappy because its black, we are rejecting it because it is not an apt description. Now if you said spongy or wooly or cottony, that is something that describes an existing a type of fiber/textile/hair.

hhj

Celestial

I have read your thoughts with interest and thank you for your input, I must respect that everyone has their opinion to share. However can I ask you to refrain from saying people are stupid for disliking a word that you clearly favor, its a bit rude and unpleasant. Other than that thank you, you have given me plenty to consider.

Happy Hair Journey.:wave:

Thanks for your opinion and I have not called anyone stupid. I said we need to stop acting stupid as if we don't understand the difference between straight hair, curly hair, wavy hair, and nappy hair. I attest that we all do. Happy hair journey:wave:.

Celestial

:look: Because nappy is a term but does not describe the texture/look of the hair, can you not see that your hair does not resemble a diaper?

My hair does have "kinks" therefore kinky matches it. We are not rejecting nappy because its black, we are rejecting it because it is not an apt description. Now if you said spongy or wooly or cottony, that is something that describes an existing a type of fiber/textile/hair.

hhj

Nappy is a very apt description and it doesn't only mean a diaper like the word Will isn't only a verb or the word Bill isn't only a noun. Words do have more than one meaning depending on its context. What about the words curly, straight, wavy? What fiber or textile that describes. Since when words as Straight/Curly/Wavy is words that describes hair and nothing else, but Nappy is not for hair but something else? You are opening up a whole new argument. A pole can be straight, a line can be straight, straight is also a term used for heterosexual, straight has lots of meanings and describes different things even hair. The same thing applies to Nappy. You people are trying to narrow nappy while keeping words such as straight/wavy/curly open. They all describe a feel, look, direction, or texture and so does nappy.

AvaSpeaks

I agree with this post. It's like it baffles me that even to this day, we are still confusing texture of hair (coarse, fine) with type of hair (curly, straight)

Some of us, know in our hearts what our hair is. If most of our hair was all these finer textures, then Black women would had left the relaxers all long time ago :nono:

It's like this woman told me a few years ago, if her natural hair texture was like my natural hair texture, she would totally go natural.

Celestial

I agree with this post. It's like it baffles me that even to this day, we are still confusing texture of hair (coarse, fine) with type of hair (curly, straight)

Some of us, know in our hearts what our hair is. If most of our hair was all these finer textures, then Black women would had left the relaxers all long time ago :nono:

It's like this woman told me a few years ago, if her natural hair texture was like my natural hair texture, she would totally go natural.

I ATTEST that we all know what Nappy hair is just by the simple fact that the word nappy is being argued but not the words straight, wavy, or curly. They narrow the word nappy to a diaper but the word straight is not narrow to a line. Then they want to say wooly or cottony. Well a goat's hair is straight so why don't we say goaty hair. Nappy hair doesn't look nothing like wool to me and it is something of a sheep so why not say sheepy hair. Cottony is a term used to describe something that is soft such as "cottony soft." Since when the world walks around calling nappy hair "cottony." Only black women who want to be Politically correct say that. The rest of world just see Nappy. How many of their hair is indeed cottony soft.

Neith

Thanks for your opinion and I have not called anyone stupid. I said we need to stop acting stupid as if we don't understand the difference between straight hair, curly hair, wavy hair, and nappy hair. I attest that we all do. Happy hair journey:wave:.

I think that's the main point you're trying to make.

Although we may not like the word, it doesn't take away the fact that most people (in America) know what nappy hair means.

I understand not wanting to personally call hair nappy, but it's a little silly to pretend that you don't know what it means or why people use the word nappy.

It's another word that describes kinky textured hair, sometimes used offensively and sometimes not. That is a fact that cannot be argued.

Celestial

Although we may not like the word, it doesn't take away the fact that most people (in America) know what nappy hair means.

I understand not wanting to personally call hair nappy, but it's a little silly to pretend that you don't know what it means or why people use the word nappy.

It's another word that describes kinky textured hair, sometimes used offensively and sometimes not. That is a fact that cannot be argued.

Thanks for being open-minded and understanding. I was beginning to think I was in the twilight zone.

Melissa-jane

Nappy is a very apt description and it doesn't only mean a diaper like the word Will isn't only a verb or the word Bill isn't only a noun. Words do have more than one meaning depending on its context. What about the words curly, straight, wavy? What fiber or textile that describes. Since when words as Straight/Curly/Wavy is words that describes hair and nothing else, but Nappy is not for hair but something else? You are opening up a whole new argument. A pole can be straight, a line can be straight, straight is also a term used for heterosexual, straight has lots of meanings and describes different things even hair. The same thing applies to Nappy. You people are trying to narrow nappy while keeping words such as straight/wavy/curly open. They all describe a feel, look, direction, or texture and so does nappy.

Touche!

So is your issue with the word nappy or the attitude of people that do not want to admit that they have a certain level of texture? I am a happy 4a and to be honest, I love my hair, but there was a time when I did not like it. I also know people that wear weaves or dye their hair and do not admit it, that really annoys me. Is it the self denial that you do not like? Is rejecting the word nappy a demonstration of this lack of self acceptance? Sorry celestial I just want to understand why you are so passionate about the word nappy. I mean as I said I don't like the word but I have two babies so I think that explains why I do not to refer to my hair as nappy but that is my choice.

Last edited:

Melissa-jane

its about perception

Melissa-jane

I ATTEST that we all know what Nappy hair is just by the simple fact that the word nappy is being argued but not the words straight, wavy, or curly. They narrow the word nappy to a diaper but the word straight is not narrow to a line. Then they want to say wooly or cottony. Well a goat's hair is straight so why don't we say goaty hair. Nappy hair doesn't look nothing like wool to me and it is something of a sheep so why not say sheepy hair. Cottony is a term used to describe something that is soft such as "cottony soft." Since when the world walks around calling nappy hair "cottony." Only black women who want to be Politically correct say that. The rest of world just see Nappy. How many of their hair is indeed cottony soft.

:lachen:you just don't stop!

Celestial

Touche!

So is your issue with the word nappy or the attitude of people that do not want to admit that they have a certain level of texture? I am a happy 4a and to be honest, I love my hair, but there was a time when I did not like it. I also know people that wear weaves or dye their hair and do not admit it, that really annoys me. Is it the self denial that you do not like? Is rejecting the word nappy a demonstration of this lack of self acceptance? Sorry celestial I just want to understand why you are so passionate about the word nappy. I mean as I said I don't like the word but I have two babies so I think that explains why I do not to refer to my hair as nappy but that is my choice.

Hmmmm....It doesn't have anything to do with not liking the word "nappy." The fact is the word Nappy does exist and it has varying meanings depending on its context. One of those meanings is to form a nap or to nap meaning to knot or kink. It is not me being passionate about the word; it has everything to do with black Americans acting oblivious to the 'word.' We all know what it means to have nappy hair and we all know what nappy hair looks like. I see everyone is trying to change the definition of nappy as it pertains to hair but no one is trying to change the meaning of the words straight, wavy, and curly as it pertains to hair. Not liking a word will not make its meaning change or take the word out of existence. Some white people don't like their hair being called limp or stringy. Just because they don't like it doesn't mean limp and stringy will stop being limp and stringy. I hope that makes sense.

Celestial

Who came up with the word nappy to describe hair?

LOL! Who came up with the word straight to describe hair; who came up with the word curly to describe hair; who came up with the word wavy to describe hair; who came up with the word bushy to describe hair. The word 'nappy' is an adjective so that is what it does...it describes things. Since the English language is Germanic in origin with Greek and Latin components and/or roots then it is a possibility the word "Nap" lies somewhere within these origins or it's a direct derivative of the English language. Who came up with the word cottony to describe hair; who came up with the word wooly to describe hair; who came up with the word thin to describe hair; who came up with the word thick to describe hair? We can go on and on. Nappy is an English word so where does the English language come from.

Last edited:

AfroKink

:ohwell:

the terms 'coarse' and 'fine' have to do with strand diameter, NOT texture. Fine hair has a smaller strand diameter than narrow hair. On average the majority of black people have fine hair. Our hair is fine and the strands are actually more flat like a ribbon allowing it to negotiate the tiny curls. By comparison, Asian people have coarse hair. They have coarse (thick strands) rope-like strands that help their hair to hang straight.

Actually there was a thread a few weeks back taking a poll by hair texture and strand diameter and it showed that on this board the majority of type 4s have fine hair.

So we already do have fine textures.

Nappy is a confusing term. On the hair boards people use the word to describe certain 4 something hair types. And off the board people use it to mean hair that is undone, dirty, frizzy, or matted. I've also heard it used to describe bad weaves and braids that are over due. I've seen hair videos of white people referring to their hair as nappy, then they brush it and put in product and their hair is a sleek 2 something. It's as thought 'nappy' can be a temporary state.

(That wasn't just directed at you Neith. Your post happened to be the last one that my comments were relevant too)

AfroKink

Someone on another board was saying that they use the word crépu to describe afro textured hair. She also said that that word doesn't carry the stigma that 'nappy' does.

Lys

Melissa-jane

LOL! Who came up with the word straight to describe hair; who came up with the word curly to describe hair; who came up with the word wavy to describe hair; who came up with the word bushy to describe hair. The word 'nappy' is an adjective so that is what it does...it describes things. Since the English language is Germanic in origin with Greek and Latin components and/or roots then it is a possibility the word "Nap" lies somewhere within these origins or it's a direct derivative of the English language. Who came up with the word cottony to describe hair; who came up with the word wooly to describe hair; who came up with the word thin to describe hair; who came up with the word thick to describe hair? We can go on and on. Nappy is an English word so where does the English language come from.

diaper: garment consisting of a folded cloth drawn up between the legs and fastened at the waist; worn by infants to catch excrement
crisp: (of hair) in small tight curls
Source: wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

A diaper (in North America) or nappy (in the United Kingdom, Australia, many Commonwealth countries and Ireland) is a sponge-like garment which ...
Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nappy

An absorbent garment worn by a baby who does not yet have voluntary control of its bladder and bowels or by someone who is incontinent; Having a nap (of cloth etc.); Of hair: tightly curled or twisted; frizzy (occasionally specifically in reference to Blacks' textured hair)
Source: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nappy

a baby’s diaper
Source: www.erinhart.com/glossary.htm

Absorbent garment for infants. Modified versions for adults are known as all-in-ones.
Source: www.health.gov.au/internet/main/Publishing.nsf/Content/continence-definit2.htm

a small bowl with many functional uses. It may or may not have a handle.
Source: www.replacements.com/mfghist/dictionary4.htm

refers to a bowl.
Source: www.justglass-online.com/collectibles/glossary-of-glass-terms.html

in dinnerware, a round vegetable dish. A glassware nappy, however, is any round or square dish from fruit size up, used for various serving purposes.
Source: www.chinatraders.com/gen/definitions.htm

The term nappy must have come from the knot that you form on the diaper to keep it on.

Last edited:

Melissa-jane

Hmmmm....It doesn't have anything to do with not liking the word "nappy." The fact is the word Nappy does exist and it has varying meanings depending on its context. One of those meanings is to form a nap or to nap meaning to knot or kink. It is not me being passionate about the word; it has everything to do with black Americans acting oblivious to the 'word.' We all know what it means to have nappy hair and we all know what nappy hair looks like. I see everyone is trying to change the definition of nappy as it pertains to hair but no one is trying to change the meaning of the words straight, wavy, and curly as it pertains to hair. Not liking a word will not make its meaning change or take the word out of existence. Some white people don't like their hair being called limp or stringy. Just because they don't like it doesn't mean limp and stringy will stop being limp and stringy. I hope that makes sense.

Well I wish you said this before:drunk:

Yes it does make sense, I did not even know that nap was a knot or kink, that would mean that nappy and kinky are the same thing which would make the article....(remember that ole article that started this riot) :grin:. That would make the categories in the article incorrect as nappy and kinky describe the same texture.

I am loosely kinky, I am not a three but the texture on my crown are the same resembles as a 3b, but my hair is kinky, it can grow to apl without a great regime. My aunt would be a 4b has very small tight kinks and her hair hardly ever retains length due to her management of her texture. However by the definition of nap we are both nappy and both kinky, so maybe that is where the answer lies, we do not need a fifth category. A and B is a fitting subcategorisation of the existing category, if one really wanted to break it down further we could add a C or a D as well.

Last edited:

anon123

Did y'all see her definition of "fine"? Are there really people whose hair is this fine?

Type F – Fine
If upon looking at your hair very closely it appears thin and almost translucent (see-through) when held up to the light, it’s classified as “Fine.” Another common term for the way this type of hair appears is “peach-fuzz.” Look at the hair on your upper arm/bicep area. For most people, this hair appears thin and translucent or Fine. Where Fine head hair will be thicker than hair on your upper arm, it serves as a guideline for comparing Fine hair strands to the other types. Still confused?
If you do indeed have fine hair on your upper arm (or other parts of your body (thighs, abdominal region for women, etc), let’s compare it to areas where you might have coarser hair. Compare the fine hair to hair in your WOO-WOO region, under your arms, on your knuckles, toes, legs, eyebrows. These regions tend to have heavier/darker/more weighty strands of hair.
Pluck a hair from what you think might be a Fine hair region, pluck one from an area that’s Coarse. After you’re done tearing up, hold each strand up to the light and compare. The one you can almost see through, the one that seems to change color when held against the light, that’s the one that’s “Fine.” Fine hair is the most fragile.

Melissa-jane

Did y'all see her definition of "fine"? Are there really people whose hair is this fine?

No, I really do not think my hair is that fine, my daughter is mixed raced and her hair is type two, now her hair is fine, see through! and my leg hair is so fine that i don't even shave.

anon123

No, I really do not think my hair is that fine, my daughter is mixed raced and her hair is type two, now her hair is fine, see through! and my leg hair is so fine that i don't even shave.

Yeah, the hair on my upper arm is really really fine. I'd be surprised to find there were people with hair strands that fine.

belletresse

I categorically reject this hair typing business. It doesn't help me care for my hair and IMO it's gotten out of control. It's just another way for us to subtly divide ourselves. Frankly, I regret the day that Andre came up with this 1234 booshwah.
I'd like to :hammer: him.

Last edited: