Hair will not curl

kisz4tj

At first I attributed it to the humidity in NYC, but it wouldn't even curl in my house last night. I'm getting a bit weary of the updo curly, updo bun look. So what's this about?
Do ya think I need my ends trimmed?
Even when I went to the salon last week I had them blow my hair to the ends and by the time I got to the car and the 5 minutes it took to get home, it was frizz city. Help

Tracy

Sounds like you need some cuticle care kisz - although it is QUITE humid in the city this past week and a half or so - when you color and relax your hair is more porous (remember that word?
) and it will react to humidity much more quickly and noticeably, because your cuticle isn't laying as falt as everyone elses - so it's letting some moisture in.

But that's different than the subject line of your post - is it frizz that's the trouble or an inability to curl...?

The two have different prescriptions.

For lack of curl it's protein. If your hair isn't curling I bet you anything if you do a concentrated protein treatment (the ones that get hard, or ones like Emergencee that don't but still do the trick) you'll find that your hair responds better - not as "limp" etc..... what's happening is that the hair has lost some elasticity which protein can help correct and control....

Frizz - it might be time for another rinse. If you don't like Sebastian, try Adore...

Frizz is about the cuticle being open - resulting in a change in the appearance in the hair and they way it behaves - particularly when there's a lot of moisture in the air....

mermaid

Are you using a serum, like an anti-frizz? There are quite a few that I have used that really cannot pass the test AA hair can dish out, and frizzies come on anyways. One thing that I noticed with one or two (John Frieda comes to mind) that following the instructions ( apply to dripping wet hair, then style- in my case at the time that was blow drying), my hair would absolutely refuse to bend once it was dry. Couldn't bump it, curl it- nothing.

kisz4tj

Tracy - Hey girl, I do rememeber "porous" that was my word for the day
So you say Protein, I used fantasia's reconstructor/protein treament just last week. I recolored my hair the last week in June and that was my second time doing a protein CO. I thought it would be bad to do them too often.

Could you recommend a protein conditioner - u say emergencee who makes that?

I'm going to purchase clear adore today.

Mermaid - nope no anti-frizz serums.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Kisz4TJ, have you tried mixing Black Strap Molasses with your favorite moisturizing conditioner? I find it's great for blocking frizz and holding curls from my roller sets.

kisz4tj

Nyambura - I've never heard of black molasses.

Tracy - to answer your ?, first and foremost its the not curling that's puzzling. I hot iron it on almost 10 last night and that's a no-no, but I wanted results. The frizzing happened last thurs & friday. When I got home from the salon it did not look like I got my hair done, the frizz was horrible. Since then its been up and I'm beginning to think my hair is being trained to stay up or curly since that's how I sport it 90% of the time. When I doobied myself to death my hair would just about wrap itself at night because it was so trained. Help :-(( Maybe it's the same concept.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
It is said that hair that won't curl has lost most or all of it's elasticity. So if that is the case, Tracy is on point with the Protein recommendation

kisz4tj

alrighty then, well i went to the bss and that emergencee is $26.99
so I got a Jheri Redding protein pac instead; anyone ever use this? I also purchased adore in clear.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Kisz4TJ, the Black Strap Molasses is something sold in grocery stores. A number of women here at LHCF were using it last summer to mix in with their conditioners. It's an inexpensive but effective way to condition the hair.

JenJen2721

Very good question Kisz...

I've been having the same problem the past couple of weeks. Since I've started rollersets, my curls are holding more. I think my hair has lost it's elasticity, so I'm keeping direct heat away from it for a while. I'm going to try Emergencee. I know they make Emergencee in smaller sizes, but it's still about $14. The 6 week Aphogee treatment w/the Balancing Moisturizer is much cheaper. The Aphogee is the one that gets hard.

Tracy

Emergencee is by Nexxus Kisz, I like it because it doesn't get hard. But Aphoghee or that exorbitantly priced
Dudley's one (DRC supmthin?) or Sebastian Pnenetraitt will also do. The protein conditioner you mentioned is a MILD protein which, with a color, you may use weekly unless you notice a little brittleness, at which point you can use a moisturizing one and then get back to your protein regime....

With colored hair you need to balance the moisture and the protein very carefully - but the emphasis should be on the protein and if your hair is acting "soft" (not holding a curl, feels a little rubbery or rubberbandy when stretched - test a strand to see) then it's protein your hairs asking for. A concentrated protein conditioner.

I do these once every 4-6 weeks and use a protein conditoner (a mild creamy one) weekly....if my hair feels a little haylike I use some NACIDIT and it's buttery again.

Now the frizz can DEFINITELY be helped by adding a dime sixed amount of serum to your hair after your leave in before you rollerset. Adore will help too. My hair frizzes less when there's a fresh rinse in it.

And - um...
I know roots are hard to get used to...but mamita I'm worried about your "re-coloring" too often. I color my hair twice a year. No more. Even just the rinse out of a permie color too often can be a problem. In other words you can only put the color on the roots just like it says and just the action of rinsing it out as it passes through those weakened relaxed ends can mean eventual disaster.

The color's hot. But it'll be just as hot with a little bit of roots....Twice a year. Three times TOPS. Cuidate, ma!

Tracy

You know on another note...I just thought of something...

When was the last time you clarified your hair? Limp hair that won't hold a curl could be related to build up as well - from cones, just from "stuff" in general...

Just something to consider.

kisz4tj

[ QUOTE ]

The color's hot. But it'll be just as hot with a little bit of roots....Twice a year. Three times TOPS. Cuidate, ma!

[/ QUOTE ]
say it ain't so Tracy, say it ain't so!! I'm dying to recolor it now....2-3x tops you say.....oh boy. okay.

Penetraitt...I remember that one.......it stinks. I'll do the strand test, don't know how but I'll do a search for it. I've been looking for nacidit and haven't found it yet. I'll try to find one of the ones you recommended somewhere cheaper.

Thx Chica

kisz4tj

JenJen,
I've been going weekly for wash and rollersets, but throughout the week I airdry curly. I did the jheri redding protein and the adore clear rinse, which by the way I really really like; much better than sebastians colourshines for my hair. I've got some shine now

kisz4tj

let's see...I clarified about 3-4x weeks ago, for my first time. I used one of those cheap ones, I think V05. I'll do it again this week. Also I've gotta pm you about making our "clarifying" appt

Cres81

When my hair doesn't curl, I usually need to do a little trim. Once I cut those dead ends off, my hair is good to go!

[ QUOTE ]
You know on another note...I just thought of something...

When was the last time you clarified your hair? Limp hair that won't hold a curl could be related to build up as well - from cones, just from "stuff" in general...

Just something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been having the same problem with curling. When is the last time I clarified?? Ooops!

Guess I better buy some Neutrogena or IC Tea Shampoo.

Tracy

Hey - there've been some developments on this thread!

Kisz - I'll answer about the "clarifying" today. I've had a weird week/end.

Now, re: color - Yes baby, it's so...sowwy.
Because we are working with two chemical processes you have to be careful. I'm not willing to risk a 6-8 week color touch up rotated in with an 8-10 week relaxer touch up. I have a feeling on MY hair, that's just too much...
Now Lindy does it with NO problem...but if your hairs acting weird at all, I would definitely say wait it out. Newer bottles of Penetraitt don't smell as much BTW...and I'm thrilled Adore worked better on you...there's something for everyone...

Cres has a point too - ends do drag the hair down some and the hair holds a curl better when the really raggedy ones are gone. But yours looked fine to me.