Holding onto My Ends...

Rezgirl

...is something I just can't do :wallbash: My hair grows all day long, my new growth is soft, I deep condition once a week,I get compliments on it's condition, etc etc. Due to the humid and hot weather I've been doing the bun thing and also do an updo here and there. No matter what I do, my ends are :nono: I try to get regular trims (at least with every relaxer) and I have my stylist assess frequently. There is no explanation whatsoever! I protect it at night, oil the ends with olive oil, wash every 3-4 days, coat the ends with conditioner, take vitamins.............I mean there are times where my stylist says my ends are fine and even times she declined to trim. I'm at about 19-20 inches and making a pitiful attempt at brastrap. I've definitely added inches over the past year but it's a slow and painful process!!!!!!Am I just OCD about my hair? Also, when I do an updo do i have to keep the ends in or is enough that it's pinned up? When i do an updo I moisturize the ends but leave them exposed?

beloved1

Can you post your regimen? I'd like to see how much protein is in your regimen, that's the only things that allows me to keep my ends. I am relaxed and color-treated so I deep condition weekly with protein (MNT + Oils) and every 6 weeks do an Aphoghee treatment. I also use a profectiv product (like megagrowth or breakfree) if my ends start to feel "too soft" and pliable.

esoterica

beloved1 said:
Can you post your regimen? I'd like to see how much protein is in your regimen, that's the only things that allows me to keep my ends.
I agree! Aphogee is a life/hair saver.

aileendq

Hi Rez,
Here's my take on it. Perhaps the entire length of the hair is damaged. I say this because I had a similar experience where my hair would grow, but my hair would "self trim." That is, I would find countless little pieces of hair (as if I had a trim) all over my desk, clothes, and bathroom. My hair also "shrunk" from below shoulder to chin length. This is when (lucky me!) I found LHCF.
I was using a thermo-ionic straightener (relaxer) which, as it turns out, was being wicked into the rest of the hair shaft when I did touch ups and thus overprocessing my hair.
Once I figured this out, the only conclusion was to stop using this product (and VERY CAREFULLY) go back to good ole' Motions Oil Relaxer in mild. AND I had to grow the damaged stuff out while trimming off the damaged ends. this of course resulted in no discernable length for a while.
The upside? My hair is thicker, MUCH healther, and I'm retaining a large majority of my length.
The other possible culprit is where/how the hair lays on you body. It's easier to retain the length if the hair is not brushing your shoulders. There is frcition and clothing that will cause your ends to break.
It sounds like you are otherwise treating your ends right.
Hope this helps. :)

RabiaElaine

It could be your updos and buns. I was reading on www.growafrohairlong.com that your ends could break while in a bun if it's too tight. When it's too tight or the ends are crushed your ends could snap when you try to comb your hair later. I've had this problem before w/ buns. I've also heard in the past that if you don't put it up with enough moisture you could run into a problem (though you seem to moisturized a lot so this may not be your problem). Maybe try bunning your hair with just hair sticks this is generally a very gentle way to bun your hair. You could also use them for other kinds of updos. Since your hair is already quite long you should be able to put it up pretty loosely and it will still hold all day. There are some pretty hair sticks you can buy online. I unfortunately can use sticks easily because my hair is short.

I hope this helps.