haircare/products for swimmers.

levette

I am paging anyone who is a regular swimmer to recommend good products to use after swimming in chlorinated pools.. I have signed up for swimming lessons and don't want to have any hair setbacks. Thanks!

levette said:
I am paging anyone who is a regular swimmer to recommend good products to use after swimming in chlorinated pools.. I have signed up for swimming lessons and don't want to have any hair setbacks. Thanks!

me too levette! So far I have had 2 swimming lessons and the water on the hair is no joke. My hair was EXTREMELY dry after each lesson. For the second lesson I put conditioner on my hair and then put my swim cap on per a suggestion from another member XOXOXO and her for that rec.

When I got home I cw my hair w/Suave citrus smoothie co put catcus leave in conditioner in(I read a post yesterday where someone mentioned this leave in making their hair hard....it made my hair really hard....so that is def. out. I applied scurl last night and this morning and while my hair is still somewhat hard to the touch it is not dry.

Sorry I do not have any suggestions on products to try but wish you good luck. Blowing bubbles out of my nose is going to be a challenge;) .

good luck & HHG

Sally's has the swimmer's shampoo, conditioner and leave in on sale this week, each bottle is $3.99. The brand is Ion. I haven't used it yet but plan on using it next week on natural hair.

co-sign on the ion swimming shampoo, I have a pool and when i am done swimming I use the shampoo and a really good conditioner, keracare humecto and cholesterol with shea butter and mango and put a baggie over my head and sometime i sit under a dryer or for a couple of hours lay around the house witha warm towel another shower cap and a dry towel on top of that. HTH

thanks- i will stop by sally's . i am tempted to have some braids put in my hair just to save myself some hassle.

i took swimming lessons last summer and had braids put in but i feel like getting them wet so much wasn't good for the braids, they kind of tangled more. if you decide not to get braids, i'd definitely recommend wearing a swim cap. i know it looks silly but it at least protects your hair from getting too wet.

I am such a water baby!! I love the pool! For swimming....This is what I do....

Before I swim I completely saturate my hair with water...this is so that it has less "room" to absorb the chlorinated water. Then, I add Suave Humectant mixed with a little olive oil to my hair. Then I use my Silicone Speedo Swim cap....Silicone is better material for keeping water out in my opinion...SIDE NOTE: INVEST IN A GOOD SWIM CAP...the dollar store/target brand will not DO!! Spending $7-$15 on a good swim cap is an investment. I love this method....I feel like my hair is getting a conditioner wash/prepoo treatment while I am swimming :D Somedays I even wear a plastic cap under my swim cap for a little extra protection

I keep my swim cap on until I get home....using a hat to cover it :lol:
At home, I rinse my hair thoroughly and use diluted Aubreys Organic Swimmers Shampoo(1 part AO, 2 parts water) shampoo to wash my hair to remove any chlorine that may have sneaked past my silicone and conditioner barrier...

After that...some days I deep condition, do a quick conditioner, or just use a leave in with my normal products...it depends on where I am in my normal hair regimen...My hair always feels nice and hydrated

Hope this helps! Oh and I am transitioning and this routine makes both my permed and natural hair happy ;)

Oh I want to add that Aubreys also has a swimmers conditioner that I want to try as well to use instead of the Suave Humectant....but due to constraints on my PJism I havent bought it yet...maybe after I use all the Suave :cool:

But honestly...any prepoo mix or cheapie conditioner that you co-wash with will do...just choose a condish that your hair likes and wont make it mushy if its on for an hour or two....I choose Suave because it was cheap and it worked. Cheap is better because you will be using it alot depending on how often you swim...HTH

I recently quit swimming class because (among many other reasons) my newly relaxed hair (only 2 months old)hair was falling out and acting crazy. It has gotten a lot better since then but I am determined not to quit swimming so I'm just on break until September. Thanks to your advise and suggested products, I can feel good about swimming again.

:)

Back