Haircare Tips for my 3 year old girl

KinksnCurlz

My daughter has type 3C hair. It is very thick and soft but at times can be dry which makes her hair look, by the end of the day, like a matted mess. My question is this, what products can I use on her hair that would be beneficial to her (ie. moisture, shine, etc.) and also something that I can use which will promote overall hair health. I noticed Motions has a line:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/find.asp?

But so does the Beautiful Beginnings line:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/find.asp?

I want something that can be easily accessible and pretty reasonably priced and not something that I can only get off the web. Thanks in advance.

KitaWita

Hey CH,

My daughter's hair is exactly as you described, very thick and soft. Her hair is really curly when wet, but once dry becomes a big ol' fro! It reaches her shoulder blades when stretched out.

I wash her hair with Creme of Nature (yellow with green writing) and condition with LeKair Cholesterol. I then use Motions Lavish Leave-in followed by Hot Six Oil. I then have my aunt braid her hair, because I can't braid to save my life. Her hair is too soft for me to grip properly.

Everyday, I spritz her hair with distilled water for added moisture. Her braids/cornrows normally last 3 days, then it becomes all frizzy. It would probably last longer, but I can't convince her to wear a scarf to bed.

I wash her hair at least once a week, sometimes twice. Depending on if they play in the sandbox at school that day.

I hope this helps.

melodee

My daughter has type 3A/B hair, whereas I have type 4A. What usually works(as far as products) for her doesn't for me and vice versa. I find that conditioner washes are great for her hair, and they save me a little time in the tub. Pantene Smooth and Sleek leaves her hair silky smooth ( although it does nothing for me). I usually detangle and braid her hair into two long pigtails, then let it air dry. Scurl is another product that her hair loves, but mine doesn't. Try not to use too many heavy oils on type 3 hair.

nita4

I use cream of nature ultra moisturizing formula on my 4 year old's hair maybe once every two weeks. I shampoo twice a week - more if it's hot like now - we're hitting triple digits in Califoria. I mostly do conditioner washes with Lustrasilk(sp)cholesterol conditioner with Aloe Vera super detangling formula. I clarify once a month. I use my Humectress as a leave in. Then I use a shea butter/oil mix when braiding. She is a 4a with thin, fine hair and maximum shrinkage. She has been on this healthy hair program with me for a year now.

KinksnCurlz

Thanks ladies but I always thought (don't ask me y) that the products we use for our hair too strong for theirs? Do you deep condition with the cholesterol?

Tracy21

[ QUOTE ]
Hey CH,

My daughter's hair is exactly as you described, very thick and soft. Her hair is really curly when wet, but once dry becomes a big ol' fro! It reaches her shoulder blades when stretched out.

I wash her hair with Creme of Nature (yellow with green writing) and condition with LeKair Cholesterol. I then use Motions Lavish Leave-in followed by Hot Six Oil. I then have my aunt braid her hair, because I can't braid to save my life. Her hair is too soft for me to grip properly.

Everyday, I spritz her hair with distilled water for added moisture. Her braids/cornrows normally last 3 days, then it becomes all frizzy. It would probably last longer, but I can't convince her to wear a scarf to bed.

I wash her hair at least once a week, sometimes twice. Depending on if they play in the sandbox at school that day.

I hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! I thought I was the only one with the sandbox blues. My daughter's hair is also the way that the both of you have described. The lastest thing that I have tried with her hair (that has worked beautifully) is after washing her hair (conditioner wash unless she has hunks of sand in her hair) and deep conditioning (yup, plastic bag and all)
is put some 100% jojoba oil in her hair and then braid it. Then I apply WGO to the braids concentrating on the ends. Once you apply from the bottle spout you will have to squeeze the oil into the braid..... It has worked wonders.

marabou1

My niece has the exact same hair type.

I wash her hair with CON then condition it with Pantene's S&S (no longer does anything for my hair).

Before I squeeze the excess water out of her hair after a wash, I add a little coconut oil.

While it's still a little wet, I spray a little Motions leave-in then I add castor oil. Let me tell you, I've tried everything but her hair LOVES the castor oil. It leaves her hair incredibly soft until the next wash.

Other days I just spritz her hair with water and comb.

By the way, beautiful beginnings made her hair sticky.

nita4

No, I don't deep condition with the cholesterol. My daughter hates getting her hair shampooed, so since she's natural I dropped a step - the shampoo - and just condition wash with the cholesterol. I let it sit until she is done playing in the tub. When she needs a good cleaning I normally clarify or use CON. Humectress is the only product that I use that works well on her hair and I use this as a leave in after towel drying. I also spray her braids/twist daily with a distilled water/world of curl mixture. I personally don't like the "kiddie" products they smell to sweet for me and she has allergy/sinus problems - I stay away from strong smells. Besides I always thought their products including their relaxers were just as strong as our products. Go figure.

KitaWita

I agree with nita4. The kids products are just as strong as ours and sometimes worse. For example, the Johnson & Johnson No More Tears Shampoo made my daughter's hair so dry. Basically, it's trial and error as with our own hair. Key things is keep it moisturized and under control. I hate seeing lil' girls with their hair all tore up.

KinksnCurlz

I hear you guys. And seeing a little girl with her hair tore up makes me so mad b/c the mother's hair is always banging. Speaking of which, I went to pick my daughter up from the sitter and her hair looked horrible (i did it in the morning but it dried up sooo much by the evening). I was soo embarassed. Poor kid, she wanted to go to the store but I was rushing her to the car. LOL

nita4

Do any of you ever press your little girl's hair? I did mine for the first time this past weekend. She loved it, but I was worried about her hair feeling dry. I prefer to leave her hair natural as it makes it easier for me to condition wash/comb and go. Has anyone pressed their baby's hair long term?

KitaWita

I have never applied any heat to my daughter's hair (blowdryers or pressing comb). I love the texture of her hair and hate the fact that I might do something to screw it up. So after I wash her hair, it gets braided and airdried. My daughter is only 3, so maybe when she gets a little older I'll be ready to venture those grounds. Maybe on the first day of kindergarten or a special occasion like that.

KinksnCurlz

[ QUOTE ]
I have never applied any heat to my daughter's hair (blowdryers or pressing comb). I love the texture of her hair and hate the fact that I might do something to screw it up. So after I wash her hair, it gets braided and airdried. My daughter is only 3, so maybe when she gets a little older I'll be ready to venture those grounds. Maybe on the first day of kindergarten or a special occasion like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

melodee

My biggest pet peeve for kids is seeing a kid with 6 month old braids. The parents just want the convenience of braids w/o having to car for or rebraid.

nita4

Well even though her hair felt great after that first press I was really concerned about the long term effects of pressing. Besides, I love her unaltered hair texture. Best to you ladies on your daughters' hair care and keep me posted of any new and good products that you may find for our little blessings.

Tgirl

I've never used the same products I use on my daughter's hair. I also thought they were to strong. She's 3. I have not been impressed with the "kiddie" shampoos and conditioners. Does creme of nature also have a gentle conditioner I can use?