Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries, report says

Leeda.the.Paladin

The kidnapped missionaries are affiliated with the Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries, which confirmed the kidnapping on Sunday in a statement, saying the abducted group was made up of five men, seven women and five children.
Quitel told the WSJ that the five children abducted included an 8-month-old baby and minors ages 3, 6, 14 and 15.

Keen

Kind of crazy to take your kids over there to do missionary work. Everyone knows that it is a dangerous place.
I think these people thoght they were safe because crime is rarely committed against foreigners (especially American citizens).

I hope the US don't pay and just go in there gun blazing. Yes, US troops on the ground. If we want the US to stay out of our business, we need to handle our own business.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Oh boy. Just what we need. Sigh.
I don't think I would have taken my children, but I'm sure they thought they were doing good to help people.

awhyley

I think these people thoght they were safe because crime is rarely committed against foreigners (especially American citizens).

I hope the US don't pay and just go in there gun blazing. Yes, US troops on the ground. If we want the US to stay out of our business, we need to handle our own business.

I hope not. This is the worst scenario right now with all the political instability, not to mention Covid outbreaks. They (kidnappers) know they're not getting $17m, hopefully, they'll settle for a couple of thousand. (Which hopefully won't incite other kidnappers to follow suit).

Black Ambrosia

I'm really perplexed by all those children being on the trip. Maybe I could see taking the teenagers if I was led to believe it was relatively safe but why take an 8 month old in the middle of a pandemic? Same for the 3 and 6 year olds but an infant is completely dependent on you for everything. I wouldn't take all those kids with me to a resort because I wouldn't enjoy the vacation so there's no way I'd take them on a missionary excursion.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Y’all must not know many missionaries.

Haiti has been a popular spot for the missions lately. I know quite a few who’ve taken their kids. They consider the presence of their families just as important as their own presence. One daddy told me that the call to be a missionary was for his whole family not just for him.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, just saying it’s not unusual and kind of expected to bring children with you.

Keen

I hope not. This is the worst scenario right now with all the political instability, not to mention Covid outbreaks. They (kidnappers) know they're not getting $17m, hopefully, they'll settle for a couple of thousand. (Which hopefully won't incite other kidnappers to follow suit).
From what I’ve heard most payment is a settlement. These kidnapping are worst then the political instability. Regular folks who ignore politics can’t leave their house.

Black Ambrosia

Haiti has been a popular spot for the missions lately. I know quite a few who’ve taken their kids. They consider the presence of their families just as important as their own presence. One daddy told me that the call to be a missionary was for his whole family not just for him.

Not saying it’s right or wrong, just saying it’s not unusual and kind of expected to bring children with you.
I don't know any missionaries but a friend and her Haitian husband went years ago with their church and she was adamant about not feeling safe as a woman without her husband. She also told me that as a lighter complexioned woman (still brown) I might be targeted for unwanted sexual advances. Maybe her experience was different since she was there with someone from the island? Or maybe it was different because of the timing. That was easily 10 year ago. It might've been safer then but I don't recall her wanting to take her kids though they definitely talked about going back and doing more work there.

Kanky

I’ve known a few who took kids, but they weren’t in a pandemic traveling to places where kidnapping is normal thing. I know Haitian-Americans who won’t go to Haiti, and these folks went over there with babies.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I’ve known a few who took kids, but they weren’t in a pandemic traveling to places where kidnapping is normal thing. I know Haitian-Americans who won’t go to Haiti, and these folks went over there with babies.
Again, not saying it makes sense. Just saying I wasn’t at all surprised that some of hostages were kids.

Black Ambrosia

If I were a parent and something happened to my child in this setting, I'd never forgive myself. Doing the Lord's work shouldn't cause you to lose good judgement.

yamilee21

I overheard a Haitian guy talking to someone about this today… he said, ‘Who are these fools going to negotiate with? They’re negotiating with FBI, CIA, and they don’t even speak real English! They think it’s going to be like the movies they’ve seen, forgetting that they are in the bad guy role, and the CIA always wins.’ I don’t know about all that, but his take did give me a chuckle.

In the Duvalier era, there was no kidnapping for ransom*** - the paramilitary Tonton Macoutes disappeared you… if you were lucky, you were forced onto a plane into exile with just the clothes on your back. Otherwise, sometimes your body turned up, and sometimes it didn’t. We’re still waiting to find out what happened to some of my relatives, after 58 years.

The kidnapping phenomenon took hold starting in the late 1990s; from then up until about 2015, it was especially about destroying small businesses and destroying the middle and aspiring-middle class. I sincerely feel that those monopolistic families were behind it, in their sick, avaricious effort to control every single thing in the country, and destroy whatever they cannot control. The same families were targeted over and over… among my relatives, I think we’ve had about 10 (including me). Sometimes kidnappers or would-be-kidnappers called relatives in the diaspora directly; my ex-stepfather-in-law got into a dispute with some people, and somehow they found my cell phone number and called me making threats. (I despise him anyway, plus he might have committed some crimes himself, so I told them they would have to call someone else who would actually care. #sorrynotsorry)

In recent years, it has become a free-for-all… so many of the people being kidnapped are already very poor, with no way to come up with the absurd ransoms being demanded. It would be comical, if the kidnappers weren’t so well-armed and so willing to kill. When they got the European priests and nuns a few months ago, they must have gotten extremely emboldened.

Kidnappers in Haiti have been targeting U.S. citizens for years; the difference is that the ones they went after before were of Haitian ancestry. The American Embassy, FBI and CIA never gave a hoot when it was one of us. So it’s really aggravating to hear it reported that “Americans” are rarely targeted - *white* U.S. citizens haven’t previously been targeted much, and those are the only ones the white media cares about.

I have only contempt for so-called missionaries in Haiti, spreading their racist ideology and backwards thinking. Almost all Haitians are at least nominally Christian already; why are they there? So honestly, I don’t really care that these missionaries were kidnapped, because they had no business being there in the first place. Mennonite missionaries in Haiti are especially racist and ignorant; they act offended that there are Haitians who are educated/running businesses/not waiting around for charity/etc. … like their dumb 8th grade education rumps are superior just because they lack melanin. And these fake orphanages need to be shut down; the overwhelming majority of children in Haitian orphanages have living parents and families, but these so-called missionaries convince them to place the kids there “to be educated” or even trick them into thinking that it will be a pathway for the whole family to immigrate to the U.S.; meanwhile, they have racist evangelical white families adopting these kids into their all-white communities.

*** There was one spectacular kidnapping during the Duvalier era; some activists managed to kidnap the U.S. ambassador. It was for a good cause though - to put pressure on the government to release some political prisoners, and grant them all safe passage to Cuba.

Last edited:

naturalgyrl5199

I could see if they were demanding some kind of help for the Haitian people or good cause for black people.

Nah, they want money.

And yes, most of the people they used to kidnap were black missionaries before. Oftentimes people who were born in Haiti and living stateside with the desire to want to help their fellow Haitians left behind, or 2nd generation American born folk with Haitian parents.....Now they got dewhites and everybody looking.

Its all a mess. The kidnappers are trash, the missionaries should have stayed home.

People go back and forth feeling absolute anger for whats going on with the people of Haiti and then that anger or sorrow is greatly tempered by this kind of stuff. But at least its not like the Mexican Cartel kidnappings. I can't even call those kidnappings.

nysister

And it really smacks of victim blaming.

Maybe it wasn't a great idea, but the kind of people who would hold babies hostage, deserve what they get, it doesn't matter if they're Black.

Keen

Black. Majority countries need to stray away from religion fanaticism. All this missionary work needs to end. People need work and feed their families not waste their time praying 24/7.
Missionary work is an industry within itself in Haiti.

larry3344

Missionary work is an industry within itself in Haiti.
Same problem all over Africa including the countries of where my parents are from Togo and Congo.
Far too many African descendants run to religion as a form of escapism, and many have made a business off the church it is disgusting and preying on people’s desperation.
If black majority countries had industry and work opportunities similar to the west religious attendance would drop spectacularly many people don’t believe, they just go for gossip, social pressure, or to show off. I have recently turned agnostic largely because of this nonsense.

ETA- I am not pushing my views on anyone about my beliefs I am just sharing my personal spiritual journey. We should all be free to practice our faith with respect. I have just come to terms that I am areligious

Last edited:

Black Ambrosia

People go back and forth feeling absolute anger for whats going on with the people of Haiti and then that anger or sorrow is greatly tempered by this kind of stuff. But at least its not like the Mexican Cartel kidnappings. I can't even call those kidnappings.
Forgive my ignorance but why don't you call those kidnappings?

Keen

I don't have experience with missionary work but my assumption is that along with prayer they're bringing resources. I can't fault people for taking advantage of the resources offered when options are limited.
Mission work in Haiti is deemed a “necessary evil”