hard water post..

femmemuscle

i learned a very valuable lesson in my hair journey thanks to a member on BHM who was able to post pics of hard water and the damage it can to do our hair.

If you're a lurker, head over to the BHM "growth section" and search for the thread: "Hard water disaster"...there are pics to prove that hard water can damage and break off your hair.

I moved to New mexico about 1 month ago. I noticed water film on the pots and pans after boiling, and serious buildup on the shower head/window after showering. I also noticed deposits on the faucets as well.

After 3 weeks, i noticed small amounts of hair coming off in my hand. I resorted to finger combing thinking that combing with a wide tooth comb was the culprit. I clarified the first time, and my hair came out soft. The second time, it came out "hard".. Later that week, I had to do a blow dry, and had quite a bit of breakage. My hair felt dry/hard all of the time. More began breaking off during my shampoos.

I was reading the forums and came across that thread. Other members who live especially in the states of AZ, TX, KS, and NM, seemed to be having this same problem.

I didn't waste time, i went out immediately and bought water filters for all of our showers. The results were almost immediate. My skin wasn't as ashy, and my hair stopped shedding since last week. Hard water is no joke, ladies. if you're in those regions i've mentioned, and seem to get breakage. Try giving a filter a try?

keysha1983

Thanks for the post! I am heading to Iraq in January and I heard that the water sucks there! Not sure if I can alter there shower heads, but believe me I am going to try. :)

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I was in Vegas earlier this year and OMG, that water is horrible! You can tell right away because your skin is so dry after a shower. I went out and bought water so that I could wash my hair.

I think there's a thread on lhcf that lists the cities or states with the worst water (hard water). I worried about it once I got home and researched online to find out if my area's water was hard. It is not. I think it's worth knowing for the health of your hair. Thanks for bringing this up.