Has anyone ever added brewed tea to their conditioner?

SelfStyled

Sigh......I have been shedding for a few weeks and after researching multiple threads about how black tea rinses can slow down shedding, I thought I might add some tea to one of my DC's to counter the dryness the tea might cause to my hair.

I have looked at a few "tea conditioners" on the market, and they all have tea waaaaayyyyyyy down on the ingredient list. So I thought why not just add some tea to one of my favorite conditioners.

Is this an ayurvedic practice? If any one of ya'll could help me out I would appreciate it. I don't want to make a bad situation worse.

HairLiberty

Hey SelfStyled,

The reason no conditioners have tea high up on the list is because the delicate compounds in tea cannot survive in the same environment as the other ingredients in the conditioner.

It would be best to use the tea as your final rinse after you rinse the conditioner out. I think green is better than black, but I've never seen hard facts either way. HTH

SelfStyled

Thanks so much Hair Liberty about that ingredient fact- I did not know that. I was not wanting to use it as a final rinse for fear that it would make my hair hard (my hair is protein sensitive).

lovelexi

You could try the tea rinse after the shampoo then follow up with a DC. I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in on the effectiveness of this.

Princess Tam Tam

Great idea!

I will try out in my next wash.

I usually do a green tea/rosemary rinse.

I tried coffee last sunday as a final rinse.

Both seem do the same job.

I was worried my hair would smell like coffee but it didn't. :giggle:

HairLiberty

You're very welcome! There's no proteins in green or black tea. People may have ended up with brittle hair if their tea had other additives or they were using a not so great conditioner to DC.

Pompous Blue

Why not make a strong brew of the black tea and add a tablespoon (or more) to your conditioner. Adding too much tea to your conditioner will thin it out.

I do a final rinse with black, horsetail and nettle teas followed by styling my hair w/my leave-in/style product. Never experience dry hair, either and I brew very strong teas. My recipe is use 3 - 4 3" tea balls to one gallon of water. I freeze in 14oz - 16 oz. containers and thaw them out when I'm ready to use them.

And, yeah, the black, horsetail and nettle teas will stop shedding dead in its tracks.

I rinse after every wash without fail. Have not had any shedding this year (I usually have excessive shedding late Summer, early Fall). Nada this year!

SelfStyled

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing!

Thanks so much for the details PB. I don't have nettle or horsetail, but Trader Joes Tea Tingle conditioner has those, so I will use it as my base. I will brew some double strength black tea and add it to some Trader Joe's Tea Tingle conditioner and see what I come up with.

Thanks so much!

LovelyLouboutin

I have not done this but I was tempted to this morning. I made the base for some chai tea in my crock pot over night. It had water, Ginger, cardamom, cloves, and cinnamon. I smelled it and my first thought was "hmmm cinnamon/cloves I wonder what'll happen if I rinse my hair in this". Lol.