Tea Rinse Questions

BlkOnyx488

Ok I am always late so I am just finding out about tea rinses
I did one last week with Green tea and peppermint tea.

I didn't think much about stopping sheding because I keep my hair in cornrows for 4 weeks at a time so I figured shedding was part of the natural process
However I have very fine hair so anything that helps keep more hair on my head is much needed

Ok so my questions
does it have to be black tea? I have about 3 boxes of Green tea I will never drink safeway had them on clearance and I had some coupons so I bought them. Can I use them for my hair or does it have to be black tea?

How often can I do this? I was thinking once a week but a part of me wants to do it 2 or 3 times a week if it's safe. I am always over doing stuff LOL

What method should I use? ok last week I brewed my tea let it sit all night and day in the fridge with the tea bags still in the tea.

That night I shampooed my hair I wanted to get all the oils out because I use oil when I baggie at night, anyway I drenched my hair with the tea, then I applied my DC proclaim. Put a bag on my head and went to bed the next day I rinsed it out.

I don't want to DC 3 times a week, but can I do just the tea 3 times a week?

thanks to everyone who helps me with this

I tried to watch some youtube videos but the ones I found the people where just to chatty :grin:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I bought Lipton's Black Pearl Tea. I have used others for Shine, Growth etc...but the Black Specifically for 'Shedding'.

I brew it and it sit overnight. Pour into Gallon Jug(s), store in the Fridge. During Wash Day, I will pour some into another Container and let it sit and become Room Temperature.

I use it as a Final Rinse after DC'ing. I let it sit and put all my supplies away and then I rinse.

I have also poured it on, Slapped on my DC'er and Steamed.

I use it twice a week.

BlkOnyx488

Fortunately I have a ton of tea coupons this month so I will stock on a case of black tea. I can be fabulous and save money at the same time shooooooot:grin:

I bought Lipton's Black Pearl Tea. I have used others for Shine, Growth etc...but the Black Specifically for 'Shedding'.

I brew it and it sit overnight. Pour into Gallon Jug(s), store in the Fridge. During Wash Day, I will pour some into another Container and let it sit and become Room Temperature.

I use it as a Final Rinse after DC'ing. I let it sit and put all my supplies away and then I rinse.

I have also poured it on, Slapped on my DC'er and Steamed.

I use it twice a week.

HauteHippie

This is a great thread. Curious about the responses. I may do black tea rinses for shedding. I've read conflicting messages regarding whether or not it changes your hair color, but most say it does not.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@HauteHippie

My Hair Color has not Changed.

@BlkOnyx488

You will love the Tea Rinses!

Another "Cousin" sent me some loose tea of like: Nettle, Horsetail etc....which I added in with the Black Tea for the beneficial properties of both Nettle & Horsetail.

ETA: This Summer someone sent me Moringa Tea & I used it for Shine.:grin:

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

This is a great thread. Curious about the responses. I may do black tea rinses for shedding. I've read conflicting messages regarding whether or not it changes your hair color, but most say it does not.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

My hair is a boring shade of brown. So a color change might be a good thing

CurlsBazillion

I've been looking at tea rinsing as well. When I first started trying new things I tried boiling fresh rosemary and basil and did a final rinse with it. I loved it and I remember thinking it was helping my crown grow back in some. I wasn't consistent but I will try again with some of the teas mentioned in this thread.

BlkOnyx488

Tonight is my DC night, so I will tea rinse with Black Tea
to night!

I think I noticed a difference when I used the green tea
I took down a few cornrows to test the shedding and it seemed better than the day before.

HauteHippie

Thanks for the responses to my question. I think this will be the year of cassia glosses, tea rinses and garlic/onion infused prepoos for me. I've been on LHCF for a couple of years now, but I am still learning and loving it.

Any more tea rinsers want to weigh in?

TaurusGirl2001

I have used Earl Grey tea. I absolutely love the tea rinse . I noticed my hair stopped shedding a great deal once I did it. I shampooed , rinsed, did the tea rinse and let it sit for about 10 minutes then applied my DC for a few hours and then rinsed it out.

greenandchic

I use Earl Grey too since I usually have the tea in bulk for consumption. It does help with the shedding.

I pretty much pour it on my freshly washed hair, let it sit for about 20 minutes then add a conditioner or deep conditioner to my hair for about 20 - 30 minutes.

I wonder if adding it to my henna will make a difference or not...

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I've been doing tea rinses for the past two months, and they've been good. Not so much for shedding (I think only garlic can help me with that, so I might go back on it) but my hair has been stronger and shinier since I started. No color change though, which is sad because I was hoping for darker hair.

I use Earl Grey Tea because it is cheap and smells good, and I usually steep two bags in two cups of boiling water for a few hours, then remove the tea bags and let the tea cool to room temperature overnight. After I shampoo, I squeeze most of the water out of my hair with a towel and then pour the tea in. I let it dry in my hair and then follow up with a DC. I only do it once a week because I'm lazy.

I've also started using black tea as a base for a moisturizing hair spray mix this week, and it may be a keeper. My ends have been really moist and soft all week, despite it being cold outside and dry as hell indoors.
For next year, I'm really interested in combining the tea rinse with cassia, for more strength and hopefully some thickness. Also, I'm thinking of looking into rosemary tea as well.

InBloom

In my new-growth
I've been tea rinsing for at least a year and love it.

I use both green tea and black tea. I can't really tell a difference in them. They both minimize my shedding to something much less startling. I steep two bags in really hot water and let it sit until it's lukewarm. I've never let it steep overnight, but I imagine it isn't harmful, may be better even. I find that I MUST deep condition afterwards, otherwise my hair will be hard and stiff.

Recently I've seen a few LHCF'ers report tea rinsing several times a week, but also caution about deep conditioning afterwards.

hope that helps some

BlkOnyx488

thanks ladies i am going to tea rinse 2x a week and DC once a week. i will not know the final results for sure until take my hair down at the end of the month.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
BlkOnyx488

Onyx

I've been doing Black Tea Rinses twice a week. Love them. You'll be fine. I use them as either my Final Rinse after Deep Conditioning OR............I'll Pour it on, Slap a DC'er on top & Steam.

Either way, it's been working Great!:lick: