Has anyone read this article

MAMATO

Is this true ??? I always thought cowashing was good for natural hair ...

quote:
I don’t recommend conditioning natural hair; instead of conditioner, add oils," suggests Smith. "Conditioner is not as beneficial to natural hair because conditioner contains a lot of waxy type substances that can cover and clog the hair cuticle, preventing it from receiving moisture. Oil goes straight into the cuticle and nourishes the strands.”

mj11051

No it's not true, I co-wash 2-3 times a week and I deep condition my hair twice a per week. This man has no idea what he's talking about. Oils don't moisturize your hair.

HoneyDew

She looks cute, relaxed or natural.

I agree about the conditioner though. My son's 3c afro would be a mess if he did not use conditioner and/or moisturizer in it.

Ted be looking crazy some times. :look:

Soliel185

I don't understand - if conditioner is full of waxy fillers then wouldn't it be just as bad for relaxed hair? I understand he's saying that natural oils can travel more easily down the relaxed hair shaft vs the natural one, but if your hair is covered in "waxy" conditioner build up it wouldn't matter.

I don't agree with all that shampooing either. If you hair has that much build-up it's probably best to clarify and let the shampoo sit for a bit. Too much lathering up = squeaky clean = damaging and dry. :nono:
And what is he using that blow dryer with the comb attachment for on her TWA?

ETA: He didn't really address the issue of moisture or protein....

HoneyDew

I don't understand - if conditioner is full of waxy fillers then wouldn't it be just as bad for relaxed hair? I understand he's saying that natural oils can travel more easily down the relaxed hair shaft vs the natural one, but if your hair is covered in "waxy" conditioner build up it wouldn't matter.

I don't agree with all that shampooing either. If you hair has that much build-up it's probably best to clarify and let the shampoo sit for a bit. Too much lathering up = squeaky clean = damaging and dry. :nono:
And what is he using that blow dryer with the comb attachment for on her TWA?

ETA: He didn't really address the issue of moisture or protein....

I was thinking the same thing. :look:

sunnysmyler

I been natural for a little over a month now, and even I know that that dude is talking crazy.......I co wash err day, and my hair loves it........Keep doin ya relaxers Mr Man "snaps fingers"!!! lol