Has anyone used Emu Oil?

Rose1

Has anyone here tried Emu oil? I was recommended this by my friend who told me this is what caused her hair to grow and healthy. She uses the capsules and swears by them . It's also available in a liquid.

LaidBak

Wait, capsules? She ingests the emu oil?
I use it on my scalp after relaxers to soothe my scalp. I use it in cream form mixed with MSM to encourage growth. I used to use it as a sealer, but is very intense and my hair is a bit too fine to use it for that.

dlewis

I have used it and liked it. My hair was healthy and nice. I don't remember if it grew any faster though. I stopped using it because I was off to try the next thing. I don't use much at all now because my hair just likes to be left alone.

VirtuousGal

I've never heard of ingesting them either. I just apply it topically, I recently started up again because the front of my hair was thinning out and its gotten praises for reawakening dead hair follicles. So far it seems to be going well, its not getting any thinner.

QueenNefi

I use it as a moisturizer- face and body but I did not know they come in capsules. Hmmm. I have to do some research.

favorc

I use on my scalp and face. It keeps my scalp moisturized. I can't really say if it made hair thicker because I take and do other things to my hair also.

fletgee

Use it from head to toe. Very moisturizing to the skin and hair. But never knew it came in capsule form. I think I will pass on the caps. I'll just keep rubbin' it in.

Solitude

Hydratherma Naturals products have emu oil. I've never used them...am I correct that emu oil comes from birds? Is that humane?

Ivonnovi

I've used it before, but mainly on my skin. I've also used the oil on my hair in different concoctions. I that it is easily absorbed.

LaidBak

Hydratherma Naturals products have emu oil. I've never used them...am I correct that emu oil comes from birds? Is that humane?

No, it's not humane. The birds are killed to harvest the fat. But as I understand it, the meat and skin are used as well. They aren't just killed for the fat.

krissyprissy

No, it's not humane. The birds are killed to harvest the fat. But as I understand it, the meat and skin are used as well. They aren't just killed for the fat.

Oh Wow I didn't know that! I saw this in vitamin world in the mall but I passed it up.

LaidBak

Its good stuff and definitely worth a look. I had to read up on it myself. I'm cool with the fact that the entire bird is used. Its not ideal (from the animal's standpoint) but at least its not wasteful.

lilsparkle825

I had no idea it could be used on the hair/scalp. I was eyeing it because my SO has a bottle under his bathroom sink, but I haven't tried it yet because I am so stuck on castor oil at the moment.

Rose1

The thought did cross my mind whether obtaining the oil was humane. Having said that, how many people use cod liver oil/fish oil supplements?

EMJazzy

Happily retired
It's a staple for me!!! I use it on my scalp primarily and sometimes on my hair. It's a healer as well!

Solitude

Its good stuff and definitely worth a look. I had to read up on it myself. I'm cool with the fact that the entire bird is used. Its not ideal (from the animal's standpoint) but at least its not wasteful.

That's what I was wondering - whether the birds were killed just for the oil. Thank you for clearing that up.

The thought did cross my mind whether obtaining the oil was humane. Having said that, how many people use cod liver oil/fish oil supplements?

Good point. I don't use those supplements, but I do eat meat. I just don't wear any animal products or use any beauty products made from animals (I don't think!). IDK....I really do want to try Hydratherma Naturals.