Have Any Of You Had Aveda Haircolor on Your Relaxed Hair?

Isis

Have any of you ladies with relaxed hair had your hair professionally colored using Aveda products? I was visiting the Aveda salon today for my usual products and the stylist asked me if I would be interested in putting any color in my hair. Well, I do love my own, natural hair color and told her so. Plus, I asked her if she meant a permanent hair color. She said yes and that it works great on relaxed hair, no breakage whatsoever because Aveda uses 80% natural products and a very small amount of peroxide. BTW, one cannot buy this product - it's for hair stylists only.

I asked her if she has used it on black women before (she is white) and she said yes, several times including a woman with a Jerri Curl in her hair and all had great results and all are return customers. She added that they get their hair relaxed elsewhere but come to her for coloring. :scratchch

I'm still skeptical and let her know that I've learned that permanent hair color and relaxed hair usually do not work together. She said it does with this Aveda haircoloring and she offered to color a small, hidden section of my relaxed hair so I can test the results.

What do you ladies think about this? Have you ever had Aveda hair color in your hair? Have you successfully had any permanent hair color in your relaxed hair?

Last edited:

Isis

So no one has had Aveda haircolor in their hair? No experiences to share or advice?

felicia

i used it several times(highlights and all over color). I had no problems with it, just make sure you keep your hair moisturized and condition it well as with any color.

c_octavia

hmm.. Maybe you should get the test spot done, then wait untill after your next relaxer to make a decision. That will give you a chance to see how the haircolor does over time. HTH

sunnygirl

Sunnygirl
I have a friend who is natural (sorry not relaxed) she gets her hair professional colored with their products and loves it. She said she has never had any problems with it. I too went to their salon and they told me the exact same, that it would not be harsh so I am leaning that way when I get my hair color.

Isis

Thank you Felicia, C Octavia and Sunnygirl for your comments and suggestions. I just did a relaxer touchup hair after 15 weeks, using Sylver's scarf technique (usually I stretch 13 weeks) and the stylist noticed my hair was longer and wants to enhance the color. She's been silently monitoring my hair progress for the last year or so.

I want to enjoy my length although the color she is recommending is very pretty and still close to my natural hair color My main hesitation is having two chemicals in my hair. I'm leaning towards getting a small area of my hair done so I can monitor that until my next relaxer, as C Octavia suggested, or a reasonable length of time.

I also want to see the hair of the black ladies this stylist has used Aveda haircolor on. :sekret: I may call her tomorrow and ask if I can be present when they have an appointment.

This Aveda haircolor should be excellent for natural heads of hair.