Have Growth Aids Worked For You?

MochaEyeCandy

Surge, biotin, MTG and scalp massages worked for me. Biotin is the only thing I use on a regular basis cause I'm lazy. Finished my bottle of Surge and didn't repurchase it cause it cause major flaking, but worked. MTG is too time consuming to apply unless my hair is braided or twisted. I don't measure my hair in inches (not that serious to me), I just eyeball it every other month or so. As long as I see progress, I'm happy. My growth is fastest when I'm consistent with my cardio.

zzirvingj

What works best for me is exercising, drinking plenty of water, and having a healthy, balanced diet. I think Omega 3,6,9's help my hair as well.....

locabouthair

The answer lies in your own post, imo. The truth is that many people on growth aids seem to jump to the next bandwagon when it rolls up. Additionally, I think for some people the results either do not come quick enough for them or they do not get as much growth as they want (even if it does improve upon their previous growth rate) so they quit.

Where faster growth is concerned, I'm more inclined to believe that the real progress is usually seen through changes in lifestyle and supplements such as biotin and MSM. When the body does not get enough nutrients, it will use what little it does get for the most important functions. Thus, the hair (as well as skin and nails) will suffer. If one starts to increase their intake of nutrients and improves blood circulation, then it's not surprising if hair grows faster. The fact is their former lifestyle and deficiency in some supplements was cheating them out of their real growth rate potential. I notice some of the naturally faster growers are are active and/or have healthy diets.

I think some growth aids merely help make the scalp cleaner and remove any impurities that may be hindering growth. Therefore, an improved growth rate may follow. I do not believe topical growth aids are capable of anything extra-ordinary like allowing someone who gets 1/4" to 1/5" to obtain 1.5-2" a month though. I think some people have unrealistic expectations. I have not seen any comparison pic that dramatically different.

ITA!!

The only "growth aid" I think may work is scalp massages. I tried them but I wasnt consistent because my hands would start to hurt. But I think they can improve circulation to the scalp the same way exercise does (which causes growth spurts for some people).

locabouthair

What works best for me is exercising, drinking plenty of water, and having a healthy, balanced diet. I think Omega 3,6,9's help my hair as well.....

This is what I have been doing lately because I want to lose a couple of lbs. I better get a growth spurt along with a smaller waist :lol:

Rain20

Question for BlackAsianPrincess,
Are you using Minoxidil all over or just certain areas, how do you apply it, and how long did you use it before results?

Same questions for the person who used the Viviscal?

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
<<smirks at all of the bashers of growth aides.. that have never used any :look: :lachen:>>

I realize that you didn't call me out by name but I'll address this anyway.

I tried MTG for 30 days and the results are in my fotki. I got an extra 1/4 inch over my regular 1/4 in a month, but to me the increase wasn't worth smelling like bbq bacon bits.

I also tried Surge and that was some damn nonsense that left scabs on my scalp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

beginning and ending lengths and the time it took to get their will tell the story of whether the growth aid is actually an aid or a placebo.

SmartyPants

I did the bandwagon thing switching every 3-4 months. In July I went back to my MN mix--1 oz. oil based growth aid (I prefer BT) + 5 oz. MN. At the seven week mark I was at 3/4 inch growth around my edges and 1 and 1/2 inches growth in the middle. I am extremely pleased. I am stretching right now, but I am hoping for SL by Christmas and APL by next April.

*fabulosity*

I realize that you didn't call me out by name but I'll address this anyway.

I tried MTG for 30 days and the results are in my fotki. I got an extra 1/4 inch over my regular 1/4 in a month, but to me the increase wasn't worth smelling like bbq bacon bits.

I also tried Surge and that was some damn nonsense that left scabs on my scalp.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

beginning and ending lengths and the time it took to get their will tell the story of whether the growth aid is actually an aid or a placebo.

I was not! :lachen:
Umm I can't use anything that stinks, or is sticky, or makes me itch. So yeah.. if OCT wasn't tropical scented and the other one doesn't smell like anything.. I wouldn't be down.

I just feel like some growth aides work.. like sulfur based ones...we know it works.. but that stuff stinks.. and makes me have headaches. People fall off talking about growth aides because it just because a part of the regi (for me anyway) so I don't feel the need to bring it up everyday.

I thought your post was funny..because if it's not made for people or horses.. (nayyyyy..:lachen:) I probably won't use it.. Snake oil? Egg shakes... (blech).. but to each their own!

Your hair is beautiful by the way.

Sapphire_chic

well i personally dont know, i'm doing my own little experiement and i will be very honest with myself either way. i'm going to use mtg for 4 months (very inexpensive) and will compare my growth via "is this for a person or a horse" thread with pics. if it seems to me like it has increased my growth past what i expect i will continue using it until the bottle finishes if it doesn't i'll throw the bottle away.

Celestial

I used Doo-Gro and it made my hair snap. I used Ginseng African Royal hair growth and it didn't do anything but made my hair feel greasy and gave me sore lumpy spots in my scalp. BT gave me scales and dandruff. Nothing works for me. I take Maxi-Hair vitamins and though it didn't make my hair grow it did make it nice soft and shiny.

sprungonhairboards

I stand by MTG. That stuff works, for ME. I don't use it anymore because I'm cool with the length of my hair and I'm in no hurry to get it longer. But if I ever want to gain inches fast I'll use it again.

The only other thing I tried was Mega-tek, it did nothing for me, and Surge years ago, no growth from that but I used it for a long time because it was the best detangler I ever used.

Celestial

I stand by MTG. That stuff works, for ME. I don't use it anymore because I'm cool with the length of my hair and I'm in no hurry to get it longer. But if I ever want to gain inches fast I'll use it again.

The only other thing I tried was Mega-tek, it did nothing for me, and Surge years ago, no growth from that but I used it for a long time because it was the best detangler I ever used.

How much growth you got from it and what is MTG. Where can I buy it?

hothair

Absolutely.

I got MTG off a friend it grew my hair from ear length to shoulder in barely 3 months (I was in a full head weave), that led me here to LHCF.

I know:
Sulphur based mixes- MTG, my own mix (sulphur and vatika) work for me.
MN- increases my growth rate.
MT- no increased growth but got thickness, infact restarted it on my edges and they're already filling in (about 7-8days now)
OCT-nothing.
Viviscal- didn't notice growth but "lushness" my hair looked luxurious (only way I can describe it)

Why I stopped:
Sulphur based mixes: too oily
MN: was hard to find cost effective ones that worked for me at the time.
MT: no growth, i'm happy with my thickness- restarted for edges
OCT: nothing happened.
Viviscal: costs a lot and I kept forgetting to take them.

I used each of these treatments for a minimum of 3 months straight. I got bored with intense hair routines so have pretty much left my hair to its own devices but will be back on MN soon.

I don't post updates (too lazy/can't be bothered :look:) and I'm scissor and colour happy and I still have healthy hair on my head so I'm happy.

I would suggest if you do want to use ANY of these stick to them for 6 months and then make a decision on whether they work.

beans4reezy

here is the eternal dilemma I am facing: Is my hair growth/retention a direct result of the growth aid or from my own healthy hair care practices?? This drives me crazy..I need to figure out how to measure this before I can judge for sure whether or not these aids in fact make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would suggest if you do want to use ANY of these stick to them for 6 months and then make a decision on whether they work.

Maybe this is what I will do in 2010. Stick to ONE growth aid (internal or topical) , use it for six months and track my growth from there. The next half of the year, don't use any and compare the growth between these two periods.

*Frisky*

I have tried MN, MTG, MT, BT and Beemine...the only one I used consistently was MN and yes, I had growth from it. I used it about 2 or 3 months straight and I had about 3 inches of growth total. I think the growth slowed down to normal after that so I stopped using it. I only used MTG maybe twice and BT and Beemine for maybe a week or two..all of them were too oily and/or I couldn't stand the smell. I used MT periodically over a 5 or 6 month time frame so I can't comment on the growth cause I don't know for sure.

Celestial

Absolutely.

I got MTG off a friend it grew my hair from ear length to shoulder in barely 3 months (I was in a full head weave), that led me here to LHCF.

Please tell me where you or the friend bought the MTG. I'm willing to give it a try.

yardgirl

I'm a skeptic about all things growth aid related but I'm not above admitting being wrong.

Come one, come all: Users of Holy Ghost Grease (Lenzi's Request), Frenchee's, Surge, MTG, sulfur powder, Monistat, OCT/MT, Listerine, Cayenne Pepper, Ghee, Seaweed, Okra, Boundless Tresses, Nu Gro, Gro-Aut, Castor Oil, Wild Growth Oil, MoeGro oil, High Protein Diet, Vitamin Cocktails (hair growth vitamins or taking specific vitamins for the sole purpose of hair growth),Reflexology, Gelatin for growth, Patience Hair Oil, Avocado Oil, Snake Oil, BeeMine Hair Growth Serum, Ayurvedic products, Scritching, etc.

There are that many? :blush: Claudie's Gro Elixir has been going well for me but I've only been using it for about 5 weeks so I'll say more in a few months. I used MT but I hated the shedding and the headaches.

Last edited:

RainbowCurls

I have been a hair board lurker since 2006 and I have not seen any proof that topical growth aids actually work. All the before and after pictures look like person's normal growth rate to me.

Ooh, contraversial! (But so true!) :D

For me, tried a few on the hype, silica (made my skin terrible), flaxseed (upset my er... 'digestive system'), brewers yeast (rich in biotin - gave me HIVES or something like that!).
Tried the silica for a few months as people kept on saying the spots were due to my body "detoxing" :rolleyes:, so don't know if my hair grew as I was too distraugt by looking at my hideous skin in the mirror. ]
Only tried the others for a couple of days...

Growth aids are not for me!

But high protein does work IMO (that's what hair is made of after all). Since I started eating more my hair has grown faster. Maybe I just didn't get enough before though (am kind of vegetarian...)

SvelteVelvet

BT did work for me. I'm lazy with measuring and tracking but besides getting me to my goal of APL alot quicker than I expected to get there and it not only thickened my edges it increased my hairline. I had sideburns when I got a touch-up after a few months. I fell off using it consistently after reaching the APL goal, plus it was summertime. I just re-upped and plan to use it consistently during this stretch I'm on.

I used the whole Ovation system once, just as instructed on the bottles. I was a little alarmed at the increased shedding, but overall my hair got thicker and it was noticeably longer. Again didn't track, just one of those things when you're doing your hair and look in the mirror and say "damn" to yourself. Did alot for the condition of my hair too.

The only other thing I can vouch for is upping my protein intake. A few months drinking protein shakes daily will have you noticing your hair growth.

ETA: Oh and I tried Bee Mine for a few weeks..couldn't take the smell nor the heaviness of the oil (BT is lighter and smells better) Even though I didn't use it long, I just had a feeling it wouldn't do a thing for my growth, it felt like it just SAT on my scalp. When I used BT if really felt like it was sinking in.

Last edited:

Dove56

What exactly is Viviscal?

It is a marine protein tablet that not only gives you excellent growth but gorgeous skin. My skin was NEVER dry (and I have eczema) when I took it. If they sold the stuff for $10 or even $20 a box I would never have stopped taking it, but $55 + it's not that serious my hair grows well enough on its on. :yep:

MyAngelEyez~C~U

MTG link, :look: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=2fd984b6-f5ac-4323-a639-1d059477370f

You can also order flowers of sulfur (I think it's a powder) or MSM powder and make your own concoction...just be careful about how much you use. Do a thread search, I am sure there is one with mix ratios somewhere.

I'ma stick with my MN/OCT/sulfur8, :grin:

I got an increase in my growth...may not be major to some, but it satisfies my needs. Progress picks in profile photo album, see 10/08 to present.

Giselle685

OK.

UM.

YOU LADIES ARE SERIOUS ABOUT HAIR!!!

I think after this board I will try the Viviscal and the MN. AS FOR MTG-- WHOOOOOO thought it was safe to use what you put on a Horse's tail on your scalp? I am interested, BUT very scared!!

How did you mix MTG with your own oils? I need a set concoction before trying this!!

NJoy

Here I grow again!
I'm gonna vote for MTG too. I've recently switched to a homemade version because of mtg smell but, my results are in my siggy. In an attempt to move away from the stinky stuff, I've tried BT but didn't "feel" it working so, I added MN and eventually added what I know worked for me, mtg. I also take vites including biotin and msm but, I might've started those the 2nd month.

Vashti

I'm using MTG now - have been for the past month. When I first started using it my hair line was very thin, see-through and extremely short. MTG has increased the thickness of my hairline. I can no longer see my scalp when I brush or comb the hair around my hair line. The hair on my crown has grown about 3/4ths of an inch. I also take Biotin and B-complex vitamins. I believe all of these things together have increased the thickness and length of my hair faster than it would do on its own in the winter. Usually in the winter my hair doesn't grow much.