Have Mercy (Forgiveness)

ClassicChic

(I received this in an email. Just wanted to share.)

Have Mercy

Matthew 5:7 - "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy." (NIV)

After a conviction has been made in the courtroom, the sentence has to be handed down. As a result of this you often times hear the attorneys say, "We would like to throw ourselves on the mercy of the court." The only hope then is that the gavel will not come down with the sentence the crime warrants and that the judge will show mercy.

Mercy can be defined as: "good will toward the afflicted joined with a desire to relieve them." In other words, it means to feel the pain of someone else so deeply that you're compelled to do something about it. When someone makes a mistake, do you rub it in or do you rub it out? How many times do you forgive those who have hurt you? How patient are you with those who aren't like you? Do you help those who are hurting? I like to think of mercy as forgiveness soaked in the love of God.

Now I know that the furthest thing from your mind when someone hurts you is mercy. But just as God extends mercy and gives you a fresh
start every day, it's important for you to reach beyond your pain and give those who have hurt you a fresh start through forgiveness. When you forgive, the anger, bitterness, resentment and pain that you feel weakens every day. It's only through the giving of mercy that your emotional wounds will be healed. If you don't show mercy and forgive the unforgivable, you may never find total healing for your spirit, mind and body. This is the kind of BE-ATTITUDE God wants all of us to have.

Tell God, "I would like to throw myself on the mercy of your court and share the same mercy you've shown me to someone else."

Prayer: Lord, have mercy on all of us. Teach us to forgive, to be compassionate, and to be a conduit of your great love.

In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

Last edited: