Have you cried or come close to crying?

Thanks ladies for the responses. I wouldn't really say that I stress about it, but every now & then I may get depressed to the point where I am sad. I have been a member of LHCF since '05' and I made to SL a couple years ago but it broke off :ohwell: so I became discouraged took & a break from the board and said forget it. I had my hair cut into a cute style short/shaved in the back and longer towards the front on each side. It was growing and I was happy, but the back was still short but the sides were almost to my shoulders & my bangs are pass my eyes. I loved the way it looked, I feel like I look better with hair longer than chin length. A few weeks ago I cut my hair even all the way around & it is healthy but I am back to square 1..sigh. It's about neck length all the way around and I trimmed my bangs slightly (still below my eyes).

The cut looks nice so I am anxious to do this right so I have my hair hidden under a stocking cap wig I made & it's really cute. My hair is in braids and I spray the braids with s curl every night and wash & dc weekly, then back in braids it goes. The struggle just keeps me motivated.

Thanks again ladies :grouphug:

Last edited:
Your wig is cute!! I was thinking about making one myself.

Yes I get depressed when I stay in the hair forum too long. Seeing the other ladies progress makes me anxious for growth and sad that I didn't find this forum sooner. I can only take it in small doses.

But you better believe when I get to APL I'm going to be all in here posting until my fingers get tired! :lachen:

Nah it isn't that serious.... :ohwell: I've been frustrated before but never upset to the point of crying.

Last edited:
Your wig is cute!! I was thinking about making one myself.

Yes I get depressed when I stay in the hair forum too long. Seeing the other ladies progress makes me anxious for growth and sad that I didn't find this forum sooner. I can only take it in small doses.

But you better believe when I get to APL I'm going to be all in here posting until my fingers get tired!
:lachen:

Hi Topnotch, your hair is beautiful...you are doing a good job & will be APL in no time. :yep:

ETA, I so agree with the bolded :lachen:

Honestly, I think I had to give up the obsessive desire for length once I was fully natural. Shrinkage hides a TON of length. So once I just decided to accept my hair staying around shoulder length (with shrinkage) the length just snuck up on me.

I have been really depressed. Three things have helped me so far:

-To realize other ladies progress pics span over months and sometimes years

-To explore other areas of LHCF like OT and the RELATIONSHIPS forums

-And, to decide to join a challenge that will "hide" my hair away from me for awhile (at least 6 months).

:hug2: Be encouraged OP
Exactly. It wasn't until I compared pictures of my hair over many months (and sometimes years) that I was able to see the progress.

i've been very discouraged because my hair only responses to certain types of moisturisers or it doesn't stay moisturised. Then i heat damaged my natural hair twice. the first time about half my hair was bone straight to wavy and the second time it was only the front and sides and this has made retention harder for me but after 2 years i'm retenting...finally and still growing out my heat damage

i think i'm just going to to braid or weave it up because low manip works for me.
don't give up

Last edited:
I get anxious at times, because I want the length to come already. But my regimen is working because I am actually reaching growth milestones, so I just teach myself to be consistent, have patience, and take those length shots every three months or so to assess my progess. It will be fine, the hardest thing about this journey I feel is patience.

it's not that serious, I think sometimes hair boards can drive a person nuts with growing their hair, as long as its' healthy and has a nice shine to it that's all I care about. My hair has been all lenths from bsl to nl.

you have to try not to be too obsessed with hair, just take care of it and eventually with time your hair will get to where you want it to be. but it's not worth the tears honestly.

I have become close when I make some progress and have hairdressers ruin it by either chopping off way too much or chemical burns. But I am thankful that I have hair at all. I understand, but hang in there. The other ladies knocked it on the head when they said that sometimes you have to take a step bag. Looking at it too much does not help.

Op I think you should take a break from the board.

Yes I've cried over my hair, when it fell out and people at school kept pointing at me and talking about, yes I cried.

When the stylist didnt wash out the relaxer properly and I had to cut my hair, again I cried.

This board is very helpful but it can make you too obsessed at times. I think I need to take a break as well. I got the best growth when I wasnt really thinking about my hair.

Everytime I begin to get frustrated, I think about where my hair would be WITHOUT this board. I've learned so much from my LHCF sisters!

OP, if you concentrate on the health of your hair, the length will come. Just be patient and have faith!

Thanks for the responses ladies,

I keep reading where some ladies are saying "it's only hair, it's not that serious" that may be true for some but not all. Everyone feels different about their hair & to some "hair" is a serious matter. I don't walk around with my head down whining about my hair...it doesn't consume my life but every blue moon I just get anxious to have something that I have never had before that I have been wanting all my life "long hair" then I get over it and go on with my life.

I for one feel that hair is a woman's crown and glory and it is a big part of where a woman's self confidence comes from. That's why there are salon's on every corner & so many different products claiming to do all of these different things to give us the hair we want.

I'm not saying that hair is the "most" important thing but I do feel that most women takes pride in how their hair looks..for me the better my hair looks the better I feel about my appearance. I definitely agree with the statement "health before length" so now that my hair is somewhat healthy I'm ready for some length. :yep:

never cried for my hair and I have reason to cry - i.e. seriously sad looking edges (and pray I never will). In the grand scheme of things its not that impt.

Instead I prefer to focus on the positive. I think half the battle with anything in life is with you mind. All I keep doing is trying to visualize my BSL hair in three years all beautiful and in its natural healthy state. That;s all I can do as well as stay on my reggie, eat well and take care or myself.

Life is too short and there are other things I hope I never cry over.

never cried for my hair and I have reason to cry - i.e. seriously sad looking edges (and pray I never will). In the grand scheme of things its not that impt.

Instead I prefer to focus on the positive. I think half the battle with anything in life is with you mind. All I keep doing is trying to visualize my BSL hair in three years all beautiful and in its natural healthy state. That;s all I can do as well as stay on my reggie, eat well and take care or myself.

Life is too short and there are other things I hope I never cry over.

@ the bolded :yep:

Honestly, I think I had to give up the obsessive desire for length once I was fully natural. Shrinkage hides a TON of length. So once I just decided to accept my hair staying around shoulder length (with shrinkage) the length just snuck up on me.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have cried about my hair before when it all came out due to overprocessing etc. With that said, the times that I have experienced the most growth is when I purposely took my mind off it by getting a cute cut, a weave or another hobby.

Your hair will grow, but I really believe that if you continue your good habits and appreciate what you have (I say this with love, not judgement, because I've had to learn this myself), you might be surprised with a growth spurt. :yep: It also helps to focus on achievements other than length such as thickness, less breakage, using less direct heat, etc.

Lots of hugs to you!

Back