Growing Long Hair by myself!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy
Yes i agree, I love being on here but sometimes I want to talk to a real person and I just can't aget that no one is interested. No one most of them could care less so I have to try and keep it all to myself. I can talk about hair for hours but who wants to listen to that.

i hear ya:lachen:...only my friend in DC is super interested.:yep:

Yeah, you should see the looks on peoples faces when I start to talk about hair. Their eyes glaze over. I guess I look pretty shallow talking about hair when I could be talking about boys. But things get really heated when I talk politics and relgion. :ohwell: My friends love to talk about guys they know good and well are not that into them. I figure I got the better conversation. I guess they just find that boring and assume that I am crying out for help. One of my friends actually said to me, "You been talking about hair for a while now, I know you didn't ask for it but let me give you some advice." I'm like noooooo, you clearly haven't been listening. Let me give YOU advice! The nerve, hair feeling like a brillo pad, my plants are dying because your hair is sucking up all the moisture in the house. People tickle me.

I feel a little lucky that me and my sister started our healthy hair care journey together, so we spend a ton of money and time talking about hair products and what works and what doesnt. Other than that when I tell someone about cowashing they look at me like I'm crazy. At least my sister understands.

All three of my sisters and my mother are supportive of my journey and have joined. My mother isn't as interested but she is open. So I do talk hair with them with no problems but I tend to go further than they do. :ohwell: I got one friend who wears wigs and is perfectly happy to keep her very short cropped hair because she doesn't want to be bothered with it. I have given her some advice and she loved it. My other friends are not into it except to let me know that they know that washing more than once ever 2 weeks will dry out the natural oils and break off my hair. They are so smart that they just know that the reason my hair won't grow is because I don't cut it every 6weeks.

Last edited:
This is so true. I do air-drying, co-washing, roller-sets, bunning, saran wrap treatments, pre-poos & so on & so on, just trying to get my regi down, limit heat and chemicals, etc.

My friend was like, "I wish you would stop changing what you're doing so I can find out what works." :rolleyes:

LOL the nerve! :lachen:like, 'get it together so i can copy'

wow. I don't think I could feel alone at this point. Until two days ago I had NO IDEA that a website like this existed. If I did, I would have a lot more hair! About two years ago I started wearing quick weaves. I noticed how quickly my hair grew when I just pasted it down and left it alone for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. After about a year it had gone from being about 2 inches long to almost touching my shoulders. I let the wrong person sew in some hair and they sewed it so tight that the thread cut through my hair. So when I took the weave out I had the same length but you could see right throught it. :sad:

Recently I went short to start over but I have always had a love for long hair. And I like the way I look better with longer hair. I'm 6'2" and longer hair just looks better on me. It got to the point that I stopped believing I could have hair past my shoulders. But I have longed for long hair my whole life. (It was shoulder length when I was a little girl.) My mother's hair was long and wavy, past her shoulders. But I got my daddy's hair.:ohwell:

So now I've come across this website and I am just going to devour it. Pic after Pic of long beautiful hair! So I CAN have shoulder length hair!

My problem with people is that when I say I'm going to let my hair grow they just say, "You just gonna cut it again!" I have had a history of changing my hair when I'm going through changes. Like taking my frustrations out on my hair by cutting it.

I feel the same way. My only support is my SO. Most of the women I know don't care. I introduced it to my Sis, but I don't think she fully gets it. She gets hair growth but not retention thing. Everyone wants the quick grow fast way but don't care about the care it needs. For now I hide my hair and do what I need to.

Same here....I keep telling my sis what worked for me,but she just won't apply the same principles to her own haircare routine...I think ppl just like to do thier own thing despite the pitfalls:ohwell:

maybe we should start a You Are Not Alone Challenge?

maybe we can come in and post about different things that is going on with us in real life and the effect our hair has on us and the people around us, you know just vent?
we can post our growth too as well and if someone needs encouragement we can give it to that person. does this sound like a good idea?

great idea! i will subscribe:yep:

this is true. i have always wanted longer hair and i just really started trying to get it. if i recall, i just think that most of the women i know with type 4 textures just make comments to "be happy with nothing", that "even thinking about having long hair is for our white and asian sistas or the 3cs", or that it would take "more work than it's worth". ah well, i'm not worried about them. i'd rather be lonely in my journey and destination for long healthy hair than be in the in-crowd of growth limitation by negative/defeatist thought and dyed, fried and gelled to the side, "all hail to crispy burnt-up air!".

screw that. let them eat cake.

it is sad sometimes they way some women think about growing our hair long:ohwell:

same here :yep:. they want to know what pill to pop or product to buy. I'm like, "naw, you got to manage that new growth, detangle starting from the bottom up, don't forget your Porosity control, co-wash, deep condition weekly and. . ." usually I've lost my audience :ohwell:. . .

so I am very happy here :grin:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:...I know you wish u never opened your mouth at that point:lachen:..yeah,somethings are better left unsaid:yep:

Yes, a few friends of mine asked me about my regimen. Both told me to change my regimen and stop washing so often. WHY IN THE HECK WOULD I CHANGE SOMETHING THAT'S WORKING??? Neither is a hair idol of mine. :nono: I don't mention it anymore or respond to questions. Best to change the subject and watch them drool when my hair get's closer to my goal length. I can't wait to see the stupid looks on their faces when I reach MBL and wear it straight. :lachen: That's going to be priceless. Hmp, Ok, off to moisturize!

yep,show and prove:yep:

I know what you mean, though I am looking to have a friend in my life that I talk about hair all day long with. I wish I could do the same with my mom, but she thinks I'm a complete nutz-so:crazy:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:same with my mom,I gave up on discussing hair with her last year...she saw me measuring my hair and called my grandmother telling her I was obsessed with hair:lachen:

Yeah it can be lonely... Although I can talk to a few people about my hair or just hair in general they still think I am hair obsessed. I just say well I'm more into hair care and the health of hair than anything.... They're like whatever...:ohwell:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudy
Yes i agree, I love being on here but sometimes I want to talk to a real person and I just can't aget that no one is interested. No one most of them could care less so I have to try and keep it all to myself. I can talk about hair for hours but who wants to listen to that.

Yeah, you should see the looks on peoples faces when I start to talk about hair. Their eyes glaze over. I guess I look pretty shallow talking about hair when I could be talking about boys. But things get really heated when I talk politics and relgion. :ohwell: My friends love to talk about guys they know good and well are not that into them. I figure I got the better conversation. I guess they just find that boring and assume that I am crying out for help. One of my friends actually said to me, "You been talking about hair for a while now, I know you didn't ask for it but let me give you some advice." I'm like noooooo, you clearly haven't been listening. Let me give YOU advice! The nerve, hair feeling like a brillo pad, my plants are dying because your hair is sucking up all the moisture in the house. People tickle me.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:that is hilarious!

wow. I don't think I could feel alone at this point. Until two days ago I had NO IDEA that a website like this existed. If I did, I would have a lot more hair! About two years ago I started wearing quick weaves. I noticed how quickly my hair grew when I just pasted it down and left it alone for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. After about a year it had gone from being about 2 inches long to almost touching my shoulders. I let the wrong person sew in some hair and they sewed it so tight that the thread cut through my hair. So when I took the weave out I had the same length but you could see right throught it. :sad:

Recently I went short to start over but I have always had a love for long hair. And I like the way I lookbetter with longer hair. I'm 6'2" and longer hair just looks better on me. It got to the point that I stopped believing I could have hair past my shoulders. But I have longed for long hair my whole life. (It was shoulder length when I was a little girl.) My mother's hair was long and wavy, past her shoulders. But I got my daddy's hair.:ohwell:

So now I've come across this website and I am just going to devour it. Pic after Pic of long beautiful hair! So I CAN have shoulder length hair!

My problem with people is that when I say I'm going to let my hair grow they just say, "You just gonna cut it again!" I have had a history of changing my hair when I'm going through changes. Like taking my frustrations out on my hair by cutting it.

I felt this way a couple of years ago,seemed like n matter what i did my hair would NOT pass my shoulders,I admit I was scissor happy so I knew that played a major part...but I definitely understand what you mean when people think that you are gonna' just cut it again:ohwell:...I tell them "not this time!":rolleyes:

Yeah it can be lonely... Although I can talk to a few people about my hair or just hair in general they still think I am hair obsessed. I just say well I'm more into hair care and the health of hair than anything.... They're like whatever...:ohwell:

I feel ya..its refreshing to see so many ladies sharing the same sentiment,that way we can support each other on our hair journey:yep:

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL PATIENCEVIRTUE!
Now let me vent...

First of all, some of my friends are caucasian or asian, so although they do try to give tips and be helpful, they don't FULLY understand where I'm coming from and I get the feeling that they are skeptical about the fact that my hair can grow as long as my goal (BSL), because my hair has always been shoulder length since they've known me.

My friends who are from Caribbean/African decent are either all about weaves or braids or and generally treat them like their own hair or they just don't care too much about their hair.
To them, its more about how it looks that the way they handle it.
I try to give advice such as ways to comb the hair, low manipulation, hair treatments, etc, but they are not totally interested and they think I'm just simply OBSESSED.
Its amazing how the topic changes really quickly.

I think my sister and mother are sick of hearing about my hair, although they can see the progress I've made.

So, I just keep my hair care journey to myself now. I never leave my hair out, so not many people can see my progress, I know I can reach my hair goals, so thats all that matters.

THANK GOD FOR LHCF THOUGH. VENT... DONE.

Do you sometimes feel that your hair growth process is a lonely journey? I've been feeling that lately...seems like even though I have you ladies to share my progress with,it's not as personal in real life...either people don't understand my hair goals or think I'm just obsessed with long hair...both are kinda true:look:...but it would be nice if most of my friends were on the same page as me...Does any else share the same sentiment?

I agree posted the saem a few weeks back.
I have not been on this board in about 3 weeks.
I fill because I am not total shoulder length
I have a long road, and I fill alone.

I can relate to this. I only speak to people from BHM and LHCF about hair because we understand each other. Anyone outside this forums or fotkis, i can't say anything because people won't understand. Also, they have this myths about hair and you can try explaining them stuff and they just think that they are always RIGHT.

THEY ALSO THINK THAT OUR HAIR WON'T GROW!!

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL PATIENCEVIRTUE!
Now let me vent...

First of all, some of my friends are caucasian or asian, so although they do try to give tips and be helpful, they don't FULLY understand where I'm coming from and I get the feeling that they are skeptical about the fact that my hair can grow as long as my goal (BSL), because my hair has always been shoulder length since they've known me.

My friends who are from Caribbean/African decent are either all about weaves or braids or and generally treat them like their own hair or they just don't care too much about their hair.
To them, its more about how it looks that the way they handle it.
I try to give advice such as ways to comb the hair, low manipulation, hair treatments, etc, but they are not totally interested and they think I'm just simply OBSESSED.
Its amazing how the topic changes really quickly.

I think my sister and mother are sick of hearing about my hair, although they can see the progress I've made.

So, I just keep my hair care journey to myself now. I never leave my hair out, so not many people can see my progress, I know I can reach my hair goals, so thats all that matters.

THANK GOD FOR LHCF THOUGH. VENT... DONE.

you can't' go wrong with this! your goal is not that far away,and u have great progress! keep up the good work:yep:

I agree posted the saem a few weeks back.
I have not been on this board in about 3 weeks.
I fill because I am not total shoulder length
I have a long road, and I fill alone.

I've been in your shoes:yep:...u will get pass this stage in no time with protective styling,no trimming and stretching...as for the lonely part,I think we "lonely hair" folks need to stick together.:grin:

I can relate to this. I only speak to people from BHM and LHCF about hair because we understand each other. Anyone outside this forums or fotkis, i can't say anything because people won't understand. Also, they have this myths about hair and you can try explaining them stuff and they just think that they are always RIGHT.

THEY ALSO THINK THAT OUR HAIR WON'T GROW!!

sad misconception...it does,and it's proven:ohwell:

I feel the same way girl, my mom is the only one who understands, because she is one of the reasons why my hair is healthy and long.

Edited- and my hair stylest he understands and he loves seeing how my hair grow.

I feel the same way girl, my mom is the only one who understands, because she is one of the reasons why my hair is healthy and long.

Edited- and my hair stylest he understands and he loves seeing how my hair grow.

i guess thats just the way things are,everyone will never share your joy,congrats on reaching your goal:yep:

I feel exactly the same, only yesterday my friend was doing someones hair who was saying she didn't know what to do with her hair anymore. I tried to give words of encouragement and ask what she does now (she did'nt want to share, fair enough). I happened to be on LHCF and she saw feature of the month and she just brushed it off and said none of that "stuff" their doing works why do you believe it! I was annoyed especially as i know that it does work!!!! I held my tongue as i was getting even more annoyed especially after she said why do you keep washing your hair!

So my hair growing journey is shared with you gals and my girls who share my passion of growing long healthy hair.

I feel exactly the same, only yesterday my friend was doing someones hair who was saying she didn't know what to do with her hair anymore. I tried to give words of encouragement and ask what she does now (she did'nt want to share, fair enough). I happened to be on LHCF and she saw feature of the month and she just brushed it off and said none of that "stuff" their doing works why do you believe it! I was annoyed especially as i know that it does work!!!! I held my tongue as i was getting even more annoyed especially after she said why do you keep washing your hair!

So my hair growing journey is shared with you gals and my girls who share my passion of growing long healthy hair.

I could not agree with u more:yep:

This is why i joined LHCF cause people think i obssessed....and if they knew i joined a hair forum...i will end up in the crazy house :nono:. They will think am nuts

I understand what you are saying. I do feel like I am all alone out there in the world with my hair obsession. That's probably why when friends or acquaintances ask me about my hair or make a comment I'm all too ready to offer suggestions and hair tips and plan out their entire hair journey for them. I could go on for hours too!:lachen:It's a good thing people don't make comments about my hair everyday!

I feel you!! All my friends and fam think I'm crazy lol but I know I always have the love of the forum!!!

i guess thats just the way things are,everyone will never share your joy,congrats on reaching your goal:yep:

Thanks sweetie, my next goal is BSL, im getting there, I want to do a full sew in, start the megatek treatment, and start towards BSL and past it.

And I love your hair photo there, silky and pretty hair girl :drunk:

This is how I felt at first. My sisters thought I was crazy, now they lurk here :lol:

I don't say much about my hair unless someone asks me a direct question as to what I do. Lately I hear alot of "your hair is so thick girl" comments which make me laugh since my hair really is fine. Then I tell them what I do and for those few that really press me, I give them this site. If they join then I know they are serious and then I will really talk hair with them.

I understand what you are saying. I do feel like I am all alone out there in the world with my hair obsession. That's probably why when friends or acquaintances ask me about my hair or make a comment I'm all too ready to offer suggestions and hair tips and plan out their entire hair journey for them. I could go on for hours too!:lachen:It's a good thing people don't make comments about my hair everyday!

I thought i was the only one who did this:lachen::lachen:

Back