Growing Long Hair by myself!!!

CHECKMATE!

Do you sometimes feel that your hair growth process is a lonely journey? I've been feeling that lately...seems like even though I have you ladies to share my progress with,it's not as personal in real life...either people don't understand my hair goals or think I'm just obsessed with long hair...both are kinda true:look:...but it would be nice if most of my friends were on the same page as me...Does any else share the same sentiment?

^^ yep :yep:

I don't know anyone IRL that is growing their hair out that I can share info/stories with without them looking at me like I'm crazy. :ohwell: That's why I am always loggin in to LHCF. :grin:

I feel the same way. Most people around me just don't seem to be that into hair. When I slip up & mention something new I am trying (like co-washing) or "growing my hair out" I end up getting dumb looks or comments, so I just keep my hair journey to myself.

So, I definitely understand what you're saying!

I know how you feel. I'm growing out a short haircut and although my hair is really healthy, nobody wants to hear anything about hair from me because it's not down my back. I keep my hair journey to myself because I don't even want to get the looks or stares from people who would roll their eyes if I talked about growing my hair out. People mistake my length for lack of health and it's so IGNORANT. long hair does not equal healthy hair and short hair does not equal damaged hair. I wish I had somebody close to me in person that shared my interest but I am grateful I found this forum and you ladies :)

Most of my friends have healthy hair practices, but do not go to the extent that I might go to grow my hair longer. For them hair is just hair.

I am the only person I know who is willing to join LHCF. I have asked several of my long haired friends to join and their replies are usually, "what for", "I am too busy to join" or "its not that deep for me"

I cant talk to my friends about hair. They'll just tell me to use grease and get a weave, so I keep my journey to myself, and just come online. The ladies here keep me encouraged :)

This is why it is said that your purpose and intentions are between you and God and only those selective people who will be on the same page as you (thus LHCF).

Best,
Almond Eyes

This is why it is said that your purpose and intentions are between you and God and only those selective people who will be on the same page as you (thus LHCF).

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thank you for this. I don't have many friends IRL :look:. So I could give a squirrel fart who's interested. The friends I do have, have short hair styles or long hair anyway and wouldn't understand the obsession. Which is why I love LHCF :grin:, I am in my own hair world here.

I know how you feel. I'm growing out a short haircut and although my hair is really healthy, nobody wants to hear anything about hair from me because it's not down my back. I keep my hair journey to myself because I don't even want to get the looks or stares from people who would roll their eyes if I talked about growing my hair out. People mistake my length for lack of health and it's so IGNORANT. long hair does not equal healthy hair and short hair does not equal damaged hair. I wish I had somebody close to me in person that shared my interest but I am grateful I found this forum and you ladies :)

You are so on point with this post. The short/unhealthy hair thing is a common misconception. Or people think your hair is short because it can't grow. Uhm no boo, my short hair was a choice.

But OP, I feel you. I'm in this thing alone. People don't understand my hair journey. They don't understand why I want to stretch my relaxer for months at a time, they don't understand why I don't like to go stylist, they don't understand that I NEED to hide my hair with a half wig otherwise I'll cut my hair and the list goes on and on.

Then there's the other people who want to give advice on what I should do with my hair. Bad advice at that. Like, If you want your hair to grow you have to get your ends trimmed every 4-6 weeks or if you want healthy hair you have to get it done every two-weeks.

Its very frustrating to say the least. I've learned to keep my hair comments to myself. When people ask why I'm wearing a half-wig I just say that I wanted to do something different and keep it at that.

i mean it would be nice for some of my friends to be into haircare the way i am. And for one of them to be a pj like me so we swap poducts and such....but that aint happening. They dont even want to listen to any tips. so Yea...IRL..im on my own

I only have one close friend and she's Puerto Rican and German so someone can spit on her hair and it'll grow!! I was looking at her daughter's hair Tuesday and it's so much longer from even the end of the summer!! :wallbash::wallbash:

Yeah, I keep it to myself most of the time. She looked at me crazy when I told her about MT and OCT. She couldn't understand why I would pay so much for a hair product. I say it's better than spending it on drugs!!! (which I DON'T do, BTW..) My Mexican boyfriend doesn't get it either:nono:.

Im on my own IRL, too. The few ppl that I have tried to talk to about hair just roll their eyes and tell me to get a weave if I want long hair.

Most of my family and friends are pretty encouraging and always comment on how long it's gotten. Now, hair discussions and healthy hair practices, they just dont want to hear it.

I feel the same way. Most people around me just don't seem to be that into hair. When I slip up & mention something new I am trying (like co-washing) or "growing my hair out" I end up getting dumb looks or comments, so I just keep my hair journey to myself.

i cosign this statement^^. when i was washing my hair 3x's a week my room mates were like what are you doing your hairs gonna dry out and break and that my hair type shouldnt be washed more than every two weeks:ohwell:
ima be this length for a while tho because ima have to keep triming it till the thickness comes back.:drunk:

I got Japanese Straightening done, and you wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of black women that laughed at me!!

My hair came out beautifully, it was done cheaply and by a very talented Japanese man, and I can wash my hair daily (airdry, then go!), do deep conditioning weekly, and still use all my products! I don't need heat for my straight look! It grows SO long and the ends are so much easier to care for now.

What can I say? I hate shower caps, and I'm low-maintenance. lol

ETA: and the nay-sayers lost about 3 inches of hair in the process of putting me down!

Last edited:
I am SO thankful for LHCF. . . No one understands why I won't wear my hair out ("all that hair. . . you don't show it" :ohwell: ) I'm like, "I'm working on something, fall back" :perplexed . . .then I run off and log in :grin:

Every once and awhile one of my friends will ask me about hair...but their eyes quickly glaze over when I start going into the details they really need to know. My mom listens and my guys friends pretend to (one of them told me that my hair must be really strong and I thought he was making a nappy black hair comment- but he said it because I am always giving my hair "full meals" lol).

But I don't think that anyone will really get it until my hair is actually long. Either way, most people just don't really care.

Here too, I just did some twists last night and I showed them to my friend..she looked at me with a blank stare as she was saying "So?"
My SO is the only one that understands. We are in a long distance relationship and he asks me all the time how my hair is doing lol, he is the sweetest.
My female friends though...they couldn't give a rats backside.

That's life though, and that is why we have this amazing board to turn to.

I so hear what you are saying, I do feel sad sometimes b/c people will ask me what I do to my hair and I KNOW they don't want to hear the step by step play by play. My BFF has worn box braids for over 15 yrs straight, so you know she's not really into hair
my other good friend wears braids, weaves and wigs
and my other good friend only goes to the salon every few weeks to get her hair done.
Hair is just hair or they're just not that into it.:sad:

The only thing though, is that they do compliment me on my efforts.

lol...I've done it toooooo:lachen:and end up rambling about stretching,S&D and they are looking at me perplexed:ohwell:

trust I know,been there!!!!! i guess it's easier for someone to take advice from another who already has the length they are trying to attain,but I think "knocking" someones input bcuz they don't have the length is wrong and discouraging :yep:

Here too, I just did some twists last night and I showed them to my friend..she looked at me with a blank stare as she was saying "So?"
My SO is the only one that understands. We are in a long distance relationship and he asks me all the time how my hair is doing lol, he is the sweetest.
My female friends though...they couldn't give a rats backside.

That's life though, and that is why we have this amazing board to turn to.

This is sooo true. I forgot about my sweetie. I am in a long distance rel, too. I send him picture messages of my hair/ hairstyles sometimes & he always gives me feedback. :yep:

You are so on point with this post. The short/unhealthy hair thing is a common misconception. Or people think your hair is short because it can't grow. Uhm no boo, my short hair was a choice.

But OP, I feel you. I'm in this thing alone. People don't understand my hair journey. They don't understand why I want to stretch my relaxer for months at a time, they don't understand why I don't like to go stylist, they don't understand that I NEED to hide my hair with a half wig otherwise I'll cut my hair and the list goes on and on.

Then there's the other people who want to give advice on what I should do with my hair. Bad advice at that. Like, If you want your hair to grow you have to get your ends trimmed every 4-6 weeks or if you want healthy hair you have to get it done every two-weeks.

Its very frustrating to say the least. I've learned to keep my hair comments to myself. When people ask why I'm wearing a half-wig I just say that I wanted to do something different and keep it at that.

we share the same feelings,for real! :yep:...I stopped discussing my hair unless people ask,and even when they do,im limited in my responses because it usually turns into some sort of debate/disagreement over what good/bad for growing hair:spinning:

I only have one close friend and she's Puerto Rican and German so someone can spit on her hair and it'll grow!! I was looking at her daughter's hair Tuesday and it's so much longer from even the end of the summer!! :wallbash::wallbash:

Yeah, I keep it to myself most of the time. She looked at me crazy when I told her about MT and OCT. She couldn't understand why I would pay so much for a hair product. I say it's better than spending it on drugs!!! (which I DON'T do, BTW..) My Mexican boyfriend doesn't get it either:nono:.

same here,it's better that way....i share my hair progress and thoughts with you ladies,and thats where it stops...people will never understand it they dont have a genuine interest:yep:

Im on my own IRL, too. The few ppl that I have tried to talk to about hair just roll their eyes and tell me to get a weave if I want long hair.

Wow, this sounds like my roomie. She implied that if I want long hair so bad, I could just get a sew-in. :look: I was like, yeah...I would get a sew-in....to protect my real hair!

I am SO thankful for LHCF. . . No one understands why I won't wear my hair out ("all that hair. . . you don't show it" :ohwell: ) I'm like, "I'm working on something, fall back" :perplexed . . .then I run off and log in :grin:

This had me dying laughing. :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Yes i agree, I love being on here but sometimes I want to talk to a real person and I just can't aget that no one is interested. No one most of them could care less so I have to try and keep it all to myself. I can talk about hair for hours but who wants to listen to that.

Back