Have You Ever Burned Your Scalp With A Lye Relaxer?

KurlyNinja

I use to always get burns. Even though some were worse than others. I just thought it was part of the process of getting relaxed. It also use to make my hair flake up something serious!!!! I still get dandruff every now and again when it gets dry, but NOTHING like what I use to get with relaxers. Thats why I give props to everybody who can relax successfully. But it just wasnt for me.

aviddiva77

...I unfortunately couldn't tell you if it was a no-lye or lye relaxer cuz my dumb self never asked my hairdresser. But yeah she burned me a couple times. I couldn't tell until it started itching and the scabs came. She said because I had such thick/course hair that she had to use super and leave on as long as possible and wondering why my hair was breaking off barely shoulder length and thinning. Looking back I feel so damn stupid.

drmuffin

drmuffin

Was it your application or basing your scalp wrong that made it take ur hair out* like what were the steps prior to this that resulted in this? Did u hair come out while u were washing it out or did it fall out gradually weeks later? Im just really curious cuz ive been using silk elements lye for a long time qnd ive never seen anything like this before

poochie167 I honestly believe the relaxer was way too strong. I based my scalp like normal. All the precautionary steps were taken. My hair came out in the shower that same day. Chunks and chunks of it! That was my first time using that brand of relaxer. Before then I used Affirm with zero problems.

drmuffin

dang @drmuffin I'm sorry that happened to you :nono: Though 25 minutes is too long to leave on a relaxer, I think the max application time is supposed to be 18 minutes. Some people leave it on for way longer with no issues though, my hairdresser when I was a teen used to leave me burning indefinitely (ugh) but it's Russian Roulette.

Raspberry lol thanks girl. It's no biggie now; I'm natural and loving it now! One year tomorrow! Man, I know we used to leave it on longer than that! :lachen: Back when I had my hairdresser a few months before the incident, she would leave it on, the Affirm with Fiberguard, with zero problems. No burns, no scabs, nothing! It's all good! I really think it depends on the relaxer itself.