Have you retained length and thickness from 2 strand twist

hair4romheaven

with your own hair? I am having a dilemma. I want to protective style this winter with out weaves and was wondering has anyone retained maximum length with 2 strand twist done weekly or bi weekly. My regimen is set I was wondering about manipulation etc.
If I do twist I usually wear buns.
Know of any one who has retained maximum length and thickness with 2 strand twist post em here.

naturalgyrl5199

All I wear are twists. I have retained length. I am away from my computer for a few days as I am traveling this weekend so no pics. One thing i had to learn was in taking down my twists every 2 weeks was to be gentle or the ends will rip. Also i wear my twists in up dos.

ETA: I wear my twists medium/small or slightly bigger but still small enough where they can be styled in different ways. They are never down on my shoulders. Also I put HE LTR leave in on the ends and seal with oil to protect the ends. Many
People retain damage usually to not taking them down correctly, wearing then down all the time and/or not protecting the ends...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

Krystle~Hime

I wear my twists since June and always in updos. usually ends are always tucked (that's the best !!!)and Yes I retained my growth !!! but You ask about doing them twice a week, and i would never do that, too much manipulation for nothing(why will you do lots of twists if you are gonna to take'em down a fews days later ?? )

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Yes as a natural my hair was thickest and healthiest when i exclusivley did twists. I did them fairly often though like 1-2x a week and i never washed them or styled them so i never had tangling or knotting issues

ryanshope

I am experimenting with this too...I normally twist at night, untwist during the day. However my twists are FINALLY long enough to not look like twigs on my head, so I will start wearing the twists all week, then untwist on the weekend and see if this gets me to APL. Good luck..

I also rinse my hair during the summer; now that it is getting colder I will probably baggy at night.

lolascurls

I have been wearing two-strand twists for the past couple of months and I'm still retaining length. I re-do only every week or every two weeks. I usually wear them up in buns and I have the front in flat twisted combo styles so they look neater for longer.
Snap on the HE LTR! Recently started using this and my hair is SO SOFT! Can't wait to get more to try! Yay!

Rei

nope not really

I retained about as much hair as I did when I wore my hair out and this was from me pinning them up so they didnt brush against anything and redoing them weekly (they never lasted for 2 weeks)

luckiestdestiny

Type 4A FINE and dense (tons of strands). I never did. You have to listen to your hair.. Best retention and growth : Primarily braids and also now weave (trying to get to hip) for a change (but that's still braided right? Cornrows under sew in.). I do take it out myself (slowly) and detangle slowly (cowboy magic) but I find that that is best. Because twists require more manipulation (at least for me) than braids or weave. Good luck. I'll check in for interest (personal) and to root you on. Please report your experience back and how (if you do) you've succeeded (what methods/condish,etc).

Ronnieaj

I retained great length with them, and was re-doing them weekly. That was unfortunately a contributing factor in me getting CTS in both wrists so I've had to stop for the past two years. I'm going to go back to twisting this week though, leaving them in for 3 weeks at a time.

A few things that I think are important are (1) to make sure the hair is thoroughly detangled prior to twisting, (2) to make sure that the ends are heavily moisturized throughout, (3) to check for SSKs often--since I plan to leave mine in for 3 weeks I'll twist on wet hair, which can cause SSK city if I don't make sure that (2) is in check, and (4) to detangle CAREFULLY when taking them down. Remember: you'll have days of shed hair built up that can very easily tangle if you're not careful. I tend to do a light protein treatment after taking them down to keep the strands strong, but my hair loves protein and can tolerate that.

Most important is to listen to your hair and do what works best for it. If it doesn't work for you, your hair will let you know. Then it's time to KIM. Good luck!!

choctaw

Twists and bantu knots worked great until I reached SL. Single braid is a fast, low manipulation style for frequent washes and swimming.