Maintaining my protective style (2 strand twist)

Stacy TheLady

Maintaining my protective style (2 strand twist)**PICS**

Hey all

I usually do cornrows as my PS but i decided to switch it up a bit for the next two weeks. Now that my PS, two strand twist, is done how do I care for them over the next two weeks (frequency of moisturizing/sealing, can i co wash,product recommendations etc) before I loose them and do my normal regimen. They usually get messy really quickly. I am trying to PS for the rest of the year and I intend to loose my hair every two weeks do a pre poo, DC and redo PS.

Tips and suggestions please.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Miss AJ

Even though this is not my first time down the natural road, a lot of things are still trial and error for me. I'm starting to believe it is the water based moisturizers that cause my twists to get fuzzy sooner than I'd like so this week I'm experimenting with oil based moisturizers, water IS the second ingredient but for some reason that role reversal is working wonders for this set of twists. I hate to say just listen to your hair because it sounds so cliche, but it is the truth. Moisturize when it feels dry, if you can't get down with the waterless shampoos then band the twists and wash or cowash, etc.

BlackMasterPiece

Hey Stacy what a new look for you! lol cool to see your hair :)

Anywhoo I think as it is now you should moisturize and seal as needed with what your hair likes. I see you said they get messy really quickly....this is due to the way you're doing them. For twists to have lasting power you have to use the twist and turn method demonstrated in this tutorial @ 2:04. This will make them tight secure and neat, you can even start them with a twist and it will be very secure and neat.

We're actually utillizing the same exact protective style. I did mini twists in my hair, I've been co-washing almost daily and shampooing weekly....its been incredible. I would say for now rock them untill you're ready to wash and redo, once you redo utillizing the twist and turn method you can pretty much do whatever you want with them:yep:

Stacy TheLady

Oh thanks alot. I'll check the links. :grin:

ETA: that's gonna take me while to master but I will definitely try it!

Anywhoo I think as it is now you should moisturize and seal as needed with what your hair likes. I see you said they get messy really quickly....this is due to the way you're doing them. For twists to have lasting power you have to use the twist and turn method demonstrated in this tutorial @ 2:04. This will make them tight secure and neat, you can even start them with a twist and it will be very secure and neat.

We're actually utillizing the same exact protective style. I did mini twists in my hair, I've been co-washing almost daily and shampooing weekly....its been incredible. I would say for now rock them untill you're ready to wash and redo, once you redo utillizing the twist and turn method you can pretty much do whatever you want with them:yep:

Last edited:

Miss AJ

That twist and turn method is very intriguing but my fingers are already programmed to twist how they do now...how long did it take to get used to the TNT method?

ETA: Ugh, im so rude, Stacy your hair is pretty! You should wear two strands more often, I love twists on longer haired ladies.

BlackMasterPiece

Oh don't worry yall. All it is is working with detangled sections, twisting both sides in opposite directions individually while you twist them around eachother....its not hard at all....the lady is using extension hair in the video but its the same concept on natural hair:yep:

Last edited:

Miss AJ

Ugh, BMP making me do stuff lol I'm already twisted up for the week but I'll try it next Sunday....and if you happen to see a last post from me in the "What Did You Buy THIS Week" thread, you know the outcome :lachen:

Creatividual

Your twists are so pretty! Can't wait till I can get mine in a ponytail. I'm very close just need my sides to grow a lil bit longer. My twists get messy/fuzzy easily too. Esp the top and front of my head where my hair is a silkier/looser texture. I've heard of this TnT technique and am going to have to try it the next time I tiny twist my hair. It seems like it would also give an even more defined twist out when you're ready to take them down.

I'm still not able to wash my hair in twists though. Shrinkage is bananas and again, my hair would get uber frizzy. I hope to try washing in them again if this TnT method makes them tighter and less prone to frizz.

To cut down on some frizz, I no longer moisturize my twists with a spray. I use my hair lotion and that works soooooo much better.

lushcoils

If I have to cowash my hair like every 2 days, and moisturize every other day, deep condition twice a week...how can I maintain my twists without them getting so fuzzy/loc looking and shrinking so much?

Creatividual

If I have to cowash my hair like every 2 days, and moisturize every other day, deep condition twice a week...how can I maintain my twists without them getting so fuzzy/loc looking and shrinking so much?

Well, my hair isn't prone to loc'ing but it's def prone to frizz. I thought up a technique on how to wash your hair in twists that i haven't tried yet but in theory, it sounds like it could work:

Try washing the twists in braided sections; secure the ends if you need to. This should stop them from unraveling and stave off SOME shrinkage. To further stretch them out some more, airdry in those braids and loosely braid the twists in sections for a couple nights and that should stretch them back out.

In short to keep shrinkage at bay, braid the twists up in sections before bed and while washing your hair. I haven't done the washing part yet but I've gotten in the habit of when I'm wearing twists, braiding them almost every night before bed. HTH:grin:

temfash

Try washing the twists in braided sections; secure the ends if you need to. This should stop them from unraveling and stave off SOME shrinkage. To further stretch them out some more, airdry in those braids and loosely braid the twists in sections for a couple nights and that should stretch them back out.

I agree this is what I do to keep my twists intact and stretched which also minimises tangling:afro:.

SouthernBeauty

Thx for this video! I will be trying this when I do my daughters and my hair next week!!

Stacy TheLady

i cant help just wanted to say i LOVE your twist and hair..how long have you been natural?

I've been natural for about 12years but i never paid any attention to healthy hair care. I had locks for 6 years and then i BC'd. Six months ago i found LHCF so i am now into hair care instead of hair styling. I'm praying for growth. I'll be very satisfied with below BS length :grin: