Healthier Ends Challengers: How's it going thus far?

Tai

Healthier Ends Challengers: How\'s it going thus far?

I just wanted to check in to see how everyone was doing on the healthier ends challenge.

So far, keeping heat away from my ends and using the baggie method seem to be working very well. My ends are still in excellent shape. I don't notice any growth (I never do) but my roommate, who's my growth monitor, swears that my hair looks longer. My ponytails do appear a bit longer. They used to end an inch or two before my nape and now they reach the bottom of my nape. /images/graemlins/weird.gif

How's everyone else doing?

caress

Re: Healthier Ends Challengers: How\'s it going thus far?

I posted in another thread that my ends are breaking off. I need to try an eliminate my hot styling tools. I just don't know how. I can cut down on how often I use them though. Surprisingly I have gained overall length. My bf says he noticed it.

AudraChanell

[ QUOTE ]
I posted in another thread that my ends are breaking off. I need to try an eliminate my hot styling tools. I just don't know how.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you wear your hair? I almost never use them.

Tai

It's not too late the join the challenge, Audra.

Caress, can you do rollersets or wet wraps at home if you're looking to keep your hair straight? If you're doing curls, I know lots of women do wonderful pincurl and bantu knot styles that add some body and curl. Do you do braid outs or twist outs? They provide another heat free option. Giving up the heat is hard, I know. But your hair, especially your ends, will thank you for it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

deedabug

i havent tried a bun yet..but im sure i could get single now...or im hoping i can...anyways...my ends look way better...i rediscovered WGO and im putting it on my ends while damp after a CO wash...

LABETT

My ends are doing pretty good I have been wearing drawstring ponytails and putting Profectiv Healthty End on
my hair to protect my ends.

caress

I do usually wear my hair straight and optimally I try to only use heat on my wash day which is once a week but that doesn't always happen. I do pincurls at night so that I don't have to use heat everyday but lately I've ended up using my curling iron for touch-ups.

I don't know how to do rollersets or wet wraps and have never tried twist outs or braid outs. I tried a bantu knot set over the weekend but it didn't look presentable. I guess I'll keep practicing. I am considering a drawstring ponytail though. I have worn them. My bf says he doesn't like fake hair though, so I try to do the best that I can with my own but my hair will look even better in the long run and he should appreciate that.

How do you wear your hair regularly Audra?

AudraChanell

My staple is a roller wrap---wash, condition, set, wrap,voila. The thing about rolling and wrapping is practice. You CAN do it and with practice you can do it well! If you wrap a roller set, you want need the hot irons /images/graemlins/poke.gif.

Try it for 30 days...just 30 days! Circle a day on your calendar as "Hot Iron Day." In this amount of time, you will not only get used to/good at rolling and wrapping, the added bonus is healthier ends. I havent used hot curlers or a flat iron in years. I just purchsed a cheap flat iron (like $9) to use with foil to seal my ends, and gave away my marcel irons years ago.

Try it /images/graemlins/clap.gif
[ QUOTE ]
I do usually wear my hair straight and optimally I try to only use heat on my wash day which is once a week but that doesn't always happen. I do pincurls at night so that I don't have to use heat everyday but lately I've ended up using my curling iron for touch-ups.

I don't know how to do rollersets or wet wraps and have never tried twist outs or braid outs. I tried a bantu knot set over the weekend but it didn't look presentable. I guess I'll keep practicing. I am considering a drawstring ponytail though. I have worn them. My bf says he doesn't like fake hair though, so I try to do the best that I can with my own but my hair will look even better in the long run and he should appreciate that.

How do you wear your hair regularly Audra?

[/ QUOTE ]

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong

<font color="purple">I'm doing the baggie method. I moisturize my ends with gel curl activator and EVOO while puting my hair up in a ponytail. I put a sandwich bag over the ends, twist it and secure with an elastic band. I wear this over my drawstring ponytail on days when I'm out and about. When taken down, my ends stay moisturized and not dry.

My question, though. Even though your ends stays moisturized doing either method, can this also retain hair length without the occasional trimming of split ends? TIA </font>

Tai

BabyCurls, so far using this method seems to be preventing split ends for me. I had a trim done right before beginning the ends challenge. If my ends continue the way they're going, I won't need a trim for split ends for quite awhile. Since I only wear my hair in wash n gos when it's down, I can't tell if it's uneven (shrinkage) . My last trim in August wasn't for splits; it was to even things out.

SherryLove

Hey BabyCurls and Tai.....I started doing the baggie method (minus the phonypony) in June of this year - which is also the last time i trimmed my hair. i generously oil the last two inches of my ponytail and wrap it up in a sandwich bag until the next time i wash my hair. so far, my ends still look good. i truly think i can go a year w/o trimming... this is definitely a keeper......

carrie

I wasn't a part of the original challenge, but I've found something recently that my ends have been loving. I con wash with Dove conditioner, work in some Nexxus Biotin cream and a little Got 2 B smooth emergency as a leave in. Wrap in my satin scarf and in the AM use a little dab of Hollywood Beauty's castor oil.

bklyncurly

You guys come up with some great challenges. I never would have thought to use a sandwich baggie over my ends to condition and protect! Thanks! I'm probably too late for the challenge, but I'll start my own challenge. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

candibaby

i dont know if i was on this challenge before, but i'm definetly on it now. my ends are WONDERFUL now that i've cut out the heat, started doing protein treatments, and moisturizing daily. while they are great, i want them to be PERFECT! so that's what i'm on a quest for, perfect ends.

AngelicRose07

back from years of hiatus

my ends are doing very well! they are safely tucked away under my sew in weave(see 1st albulm). they are away from wind, hot sun, and i dont have to worry about my hair reverting as i douse it in leave in conditioner or my s-curl no drip which moisturizes excellently!

bklyncurly

ITA! I never would have thought of this way to protect my ends. But you know what? It works wonders! I luv it!! My ends look and feel great NOT dry and crispy fried like they usually do.

Thanks!