Healthy box braids help

KaramelDiva1978

So my 10 y/o daughter and I are both on a relaxed hhj and since my dh and I are divorced she goes from one house to the next wk to wk. I want to decrease manipulation from her hands or ex dh girlfriend's and keep her in box braids. But I want them to be healthy and stress free on her hair. Any suggestions?

If she's relaxed I recommend French braid updo styles, it's less stress and they're easily removed to DC and stuff when she returns home.

If she's relaxed I recommend French braid updo styles, it's less stress and they're easily removed to DC and stuff when she returns home.

:yep: I agree with ~*~ShopAholic~*~ (<--Did you need all the squiggles and stars? :rolleyes: It's hard enough for me to spell screen names correctly w/o having to worry about drawing funny things too! :look: )

Really? I am surprised since the Crown and Glory method spoke so highly of pencil sized box braids. I dont remember where I found that info though. Thanks for your replies but Im headed off to do more research!

I personally would avoid french braided styles unless the person braiding is 100% knowledgeable of hair care. Those kinds of braids produce CONSISTENT tension on edges, unlike single pencil sized box braids which can be put in a loose ponytail.

Pencil sized box braids are the best, as long as you also have appropriate sized sections. All information on crown and glory is found on www.growafrohairlong.com. Just make sure the hair is moisturised every night and that edges are redone every 2-3 weeks and don't pull the braids back into ponytails until the braids loosen.

I second box braids. As long as there is enough new growth and the parts are big enough to hold the hair, she should be good. I'd also suggest some braid spray to keep at her dad's to keep them moisturized.

I can only vouch for box braids bc I do them myself. I would not trust anybody else to do them.
Some braiders dont know how much hair to put in each braid, add too much braiding hair to too little real hair, wrap the braiding hair around one piece of hair instead of splitting it in two.
If you have someone you can trust (or are not using extensions), then its a great style that will protect the hair well.
Im wearing solange-type long braids right now & enjoying them so much. All I do is moisturize &tie up at night.

westNDNbeauty said:
I personally would avoid french braided styles unless the person braiding is 100% knowledgeable of hair care. Those kinds of braids produce CONSISTENT tension on edges, unlike single pencil sized box braids which can be put in a loose ponytail.

I was thinking styles with her own hair not added extensions, I must have miss read the OP. Plus in my family we grew up with box braids without extentions so when I hear box braids I don't automatically think added hair. I thought the OP would be doing the styling.

Nonie said:
:yep: I agree with ~*~ShopAholic~*~ (<--Did you need all the squiggles and stars? :rolleyes: It's hard enough for me to spell screen names correctly w/o having to worry about drawing funny things too! :look: )

LOL, girl I thought it was cute when I change my SN some yrs back, but can u imagine how I feel when I have to login, thank goodness for the remember me box, lol.

Yes ladies I will do the box braids and with added hair. I dont want her hair damaged with tension and breakage. I found the growafrohairlong.com site on yesterday. Debating between box braids and cornrows. Thx for your posts!

LongLeggedLife said:
I can only vouch for box braids bc I do them myself. I would not trust anybody else to do them.
Some braiders dont know how much hair to put in each braid, add too much braiding hair to too little real hair, wrap the braiding hair around one piece of hair instead of splitting it in two.
If you have someone you can trust (or are not using extensions), then its a great style that will protect the hair well.
Im wearing solange-type long braids right now & enjoying them so much. All I do is moisturize &tie up at night.

I found some on Youtube that I really like for her and they were the Solange style. You have the right idea to moisturize and seal at night. I want ease of maintenance for her.

KaramelDiva1978 said:
Yes ladies I will do the box braids and with added hair. I dont want her hair damaged with tension and breakage. I found the growafrohairlong.com site on yesterday. Debating between box braids and cornrows. Thx for your posts!

Oh ok, I wouldn't recommend false braids for kids especially if it's relaxed.

if you are going to go with box braids add more of her hair per braid around the edges ( the parts should be bigger around the edges)

a lot of professional braiders do the opposite and they add less hair per braid around the edges to give the appearance of smaller and neater braids and this is the the MAIN THING THAT CAUSES DAMAGE,

try to use human hair

dont go for extremely neat small braids make sure you can see parts through out her head and make sure the parts are bigger around the edges

if you are doing it yourself you can do them lose and care free and just touch them up along the way

Back