Healthy Hair Mentor (HHJ)

ShayyP

Hi ladies!!

Now I'm no sure if this is an odd request or not, but I was wondering if its possible to have a healthy hair mentor? Meaning, someone who would be willing to exchange healthy hair help over a few texts, emails, or whatever. I currently live in Toronto, so having a hhm in Toronto would be ideal, but I seriously wouldn't mind anyone from anywhere lol.

I started my hhj about 3 months ago, and since then I've been struggling to find a regimen and products that work for me. In the 3 months i havent seen much growth or retention. My hair is relaxed and its very...weird. There's just so much going on with it I wouldn't even know where to begin "fixing" it.

Last week I did a heavy protein treatment as my hair was experiencing extreme breakage and shredding. I was able to tell that it was moisture overload because my hair was extremelyyyyyyyy elastic. Like, my strands would stretch a mile and a half, and then break. After I did that my hair was OK. Today was my wash day and my hair is still very elastic ughhh!

My hair got very little love this week...I came very close to saying *** it and forget this hhj! :(

I really don't want to give up...I just need someone behind me to back me up and help me along the way.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
You may need to add some mild protein every couple of weeks until your hair returns to normal elasticity. :yep: Wish I could help, but I'm natural. I wouldn't know what to tell you besides moisture/protein balance.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
ShayyP, we've all been where you are - confused and overwhelmed. The best thing I can tell you is, slow down and come up with simple regimen and adjust from there. Doing too much at once will yield the same results - confusion and overwhelmed - because you will be unclear on what's working and what's not.

Step 1: Determine porosity
Step 2: Locate a thread that's geared toward your porosity level
Step 3: Develop a regimen based on your porosity level
Step 4: Do not change anything within that regi for at least a month. Your hair needs time to stabilize.
Step 5: Adjust one thing and one thing only each wash day until you figure out what's going on.
Step 6: Live in the threads that relate to your hair -- following regimens of those that have differing hair types, issues, struggles, porosity will not benefit you
Step 7: Purely trial and error because what works for one may not work for another

That's all I can think of for now

ShayyP

ShayyP, we've all been where you are - confused and overwhelmed. The best thing I can tell you is, slow down and come up with simple regimen and adjust from there. Doing too much at once will yield the same results - confusion and overwhelmed - because you will be unclear on what's working and what's not.

Step 1: Determine porosity
Step 2: Locate a thread that's geared toward your porosity level
Step 3: Develop a regimen based on your porosity level
Step 4: Do not change anything within that regi for at least a month. Your hair needs time to stabilize.
Step 5: Adjust one thing and one thing only each wash day until you figure out what's going on.
Step 6: Live in the threads that relate to your hair -- following regimens of those that have differing hair types, issues, struggles, porosity will not benefit you
Step 7: Purely trial and error because what works for one may not work for another

That's all I can think of for now

I believe I have low porosity hair, especially from about halfway down my hair shaft. I can't get the ends to hold on to any moisture for the life of me!
My regimen is extremely simple and hasn't changed in a few weeks. I actually took your previous advice and started using Aubrey organics, low/no manipulation, and for the last 2 weeks I wash/DC once a week. I m&s every other night, but I'm starting to believe I need to at least do this to my ends every night.

JazzyOleBabe

I totally agree with everything that divachyk has stated. Also buy products that meets the needs of your hair type. Take note of the ingredients in your products and how your hair feels and responds after using said products. Through trial and error, you will find the products that will work well for your hair. It is definitely a journey that may or may not contain set backs. Best of luck to you.

faithVA

I don't think it is an odd request. I have hair buddy and it has definitely made the journey easier. Unfortunately, I'm natural and not much help to you.

There is a relaxed hair thread where you may be able to get some answers while you are waiting for a hair mentor.

JazzyOleBabe

I am not absolute with this statement but I am under the impression that Permed, colored, and chemically treated hair has the high porosity issue. So you may be high porosity. I hope others will chime in and state the absolute about this.

ShayyP

ShayyP awesome. What's your current regi now?

JazzyOleBabe there are a few relaxed ladies with low porosity, myself included.

I alternate...Once a week I shampoo and dc, the other week I just DC. I m&s every other night, just started light protein once a week on wash day. Clarify once a month.....and that's it!
Edit: And for my styling I tend to bun and occasionally braid out.

Last edited: