Five Years Since I Started My Hhj (pics Included)

GettingKinky

5 years ago today I started my HHJ. Before starting my journey I got my hair bonelaxed every 6 weeks and used my curling iron every morning. My hair was in decent shape, but a little brittle and thin. I was able to grow it to collarbone length and at that point I would usually cut it because the ends were thin.

I lurked on this site for a long time before joining, and I was so excited about growing long hair. It felt like my hair was taking forever to grow and was doing length checks all. the. time. I thought I would be satisfied with APL hair. Little did I know.

I count the day of my last bone straight relaxer as the start of my HHJ, and that was 5 years ago today. After that I started getting my hair texlaxed instead. Over time I stretched my touch-ups to every 16 weeks. About a month into my HHJ, I gave up my daily curling iron habit and stopped using direct heat except when I got my hair touched up. Braidouts and buns became my best friend.

My hair reached its longest in 2014 (~MBL). Then I started being more serious about trimming off the straight ends.

About 2 and a half years into my HHJ, I stopped texlaxing and started transitioning to natural. I still have about 6 months to go before I finish cutting off all the texlaxed ends. Braidout ponytails are now my staple style.

At this point I have about 4 inches of texlaxed hair left and my hair is about BSL. I'm just on cruise control and I do everything I can to keep my reggie simple and easy because I'm lazy.

It amazes me that 5 years in I am still learning new things about my hair like the importance of ACV rinses and ways to quickly and effectively detangle my hair.

I think I still have another 2 years to reach my goal of WL natural hair. I'm hoping at that point that either braidouts or wash n gos are my staple style. I'm ready to wear my hair out more often.

I've learned so much from LHCF and I'm so grateful to all the wonderful women here. In the last 5 years I've branched out and now I spend most of my time on the health/fitness part of the board and I'm starting to get into skin care, but my heart will always be with the hair side.

Jan 2012
IMG_8079.JPG

Jan 2013
IMG_8080.JPG

Dec 2013
IMG_8081.JPG

Dec 2014
IMG_8082.JPG

Dec 2015
IMG_8083.JPG

Nov 2016
IMG_8084.JPG

Last edited:

GettingKinky

Lovely, lovely hair!
What's your regimen, btw? Especially with working out so often.

Thanks!

My regimen is pretty simple

Every 8 weeks
- Demi permanent color
- flatironed
-wear straight for ~2 weeks

Every week
- wash with baking soda (2 tbsp in 4 cups water)

- condition with either Kenra moisturizing conditioner or aphogee 2 minute reconstructor

- detangle in shower with conditioner in hair

- rinse with ACV ( 1 tbsp in 2 cups water)

-LOC with grapeseed oil & DB transitioning creme

- air dry in a braided bun (put hair in pony tail, put multiple braids in ponytail wrap into a bun)

Daily
- wear in a braidout ponytail
- rebraid nightly
-LOC as needed