Heat Damage with blowdrying

MWilson569

I have natural hair and I have decided to start wearing it straight on a regular basis. In the past I would blow dry and flatiron to get it straight. I use to always lose my natural curl pattern using the flatiron. Recently, I started just blowdrying and my curl pattern has remained SO FAR. I wanted to hear you ladies experiences with just blowdrying. Do you get heat damage or lose you natural curl pattern???

Lylddlebit

I use the blow dryer about once a month(followed by a flat iron or a hot comb). I'm happy with my hair, BUT I am one of those people who wouldn't care if I got heat damage. Also, my nape grow in curly with or without heat it's just the rest of my head that is coily so I haven't been focused on a uniform curl pattern that stays as much as wearing my hair how I like it lately. I think if the chance of straight ends scare you don't mess with it but if you can find a happy medium go for it because the potential of heat damage is always there when you use heat over time.

Honey Bee

Read this from thebeautybrains.com, changed my (hair) life.

Well, instead of just coating the outside of hair like most conditioners do, the tiny PEC molecules are able to enter the split ends of hair. Because the complex can stick to the damaged hair protein and to other complex molecules, it creates little bridges across the open ends of the splits. As your hair dries, the water evaporates from the complex causing it to contract. The force of this contraction pulls the end of the split hairs back together again. Once the PECs are dry they bind the split end shut.

This post was good too.

westNDNbeauty

I blow dry once to twice a month and I also have experienced heat damage from the use of direct heat (flat irons).

I will say it is entirely possible to encounter heat damage or a gradual change in curl pattern with the use of a blow dryer.

Be sure your first line of defense to reduce the possibility of heat damage is with use of a VERY MOISTURIZING deep conditioner. Also, blow drying the hair after is it is MOSTLY dry also reduces the time you will use the blow dryer -- ultimately reducing the possibility of heat damage as well.