Press no curl, what's a girl to do?

BrwnSugaBabee

Hi all!

My curls don't have too much defintion to them. Something that I am soo sad about..I figured once I went natural I would have the curly hair I always wanted.:ohwell: So I have been getting braids off and on for about 4 months now... I notice more curl def at the roots and in the back so there is hope..WOO HOO!

Only problem is..I think direct heat has damaged some of my curl pattern! I know this happens alot with too much heat. I only press/flatiron my hair 6 times a year WTH. AND I make sure to airdry and moisturize/heat protect before i head to the salon. But still some hair wont revert back once pressed!

My question is this.. How do I preserve my natural curl pattern, and enjoy heat in moderation? Can this be done with my fine 4a hair? I like the versatility of straight styles..but I would love to maximize my natural curl potential too.

Any thoughts? Naturals how do you keep your hair reverting after a press?
Does anyone have such a light curl pattern that your hair can not withstand heat? Thanks in advance.:D

jwhitley6

I, too, have fine hair (4a/b). I think your problem is too much heat. I press my own hair and make sure not to use a lot of heat. It really doesn't take that much to straighten fine hair. I've given up on salons. I've notice that everytime I go, my hair is over-pressed and I have to do major protein treatments to get it back in shape.

Try using less heat, but pressing through the hair more slowly, letting the moderate heat penetrate the shaft. That's what I do, and my hair reverts perfectly. HTH

BrwnSugaBabee

Thank you for your response.

O/T I love your hair! It looks so healthy!!

You are probably right..When I go to the salon..he presses, then flat irons, then curls. I thought it wasn't so bad since i only come six times a year..I guess once, with too much direct heat is all it really takes.

Can I ask what Flat iron you use and on what setting? What techniques do you use to get your hair like it is in your siggy.I am so "hairstyle challenged" its not even funny. Do you have pics of your hair with nat curls? Also, you are saying when you do it yourself..all of your hair reverts back? Sorry so many questions.:look:

jwhitley6

BrwnSugaBabee said:
Thank you for your response.

O/T I love your hair! It looks so healthy!!

You are probably right..When I go to the salon..he presses, then flat irons, then curls. I thought it wasn't so bad since i only come six times a year..I guess once, with too much direct heat is all it really takes.

Can I ask what Flat iron you use and on what setting? What techniques do you use to get your hair like it is in your siggy.I am so "hairstyle challenged" its not even funny. Do you have pics of your hair with nat curls? Also, you are saying when you do it yourself..all of your hair reverts back? Sorry so many questions.:look:

Thanks for the compliments. I don't flatiron much, but when I do I use a ceramic iron (I think Hot Tools, or Golden Hot). I press my hair with old fashioned pressing combs (I alternate with two to make the process go faster). The "style" (if you wanna call it that) in my siggy is a press with 4 pincurls (end of the day). I have pictures in the member galleries of my hair pressed and natural. ..Oh, and all of my hair reverts when I wash. The front and side of my hair are less dense and have looser curls than the rest, but my hair always been like that.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/12427