Currently how long without heat?

gvsugirl

I'm trying to recover from some SERIOUS damage i've done with the flat irons and currently I've gone only 2 weeks.
How long has it been since you last used a heat appliance (other than a hooded dryer)? I need some inspiration to leave it alone!!!! I can do it! I can survive without heat!!

H

honey_jammz82

4 weeks....it is about to kill me. I had my sister keep my flat iron, curling iron, and blow dryer at her house, so I won't cheat.

DatJerseyDyme

LOL..every time mine get burried in the junk drawer I always dig 'em out and put 'em on top..I just can't get rid of 'em..what if I NEEEEEEED 'em one day?

Daughter

UK Blak
It's been about 5 weeks for me and I really see the difference - much less breakage
and my hair feels softer. I used to believe I HAD to blow dry my hair as it's thick and natural but I'm managing well without the dryer and haven't even been tempted, especially when I remember how dry my hair felt (I didn't even moisturise it regularly!
oo: ) I even like the shrinkage as it gives me a short look without cutting it

Good luck - you hair CAN recover like mine, with plenty of TLC.

adrienne0914

i usually go 5-6 weeks with the ponytail and no heat. it's so much simpler this way, and i kind of look at it like unwrapping a present. each time that i go to get my hair done, i get the gift of more length. i know that sounds corny, but it keeps me honest.

Integrity

7 months. it was way easier than i thought to live without blowdrying and curling tongs. i dont need 'em!

sweetcocoa

Direct heat (curling iron and blowdryer)...over 2 years. Flat iron about once a month and only on my bangs to release the curl.
I use the soft bonnet hair dryer once every 2 weeks in the winter.

daviine

Well....blowdryer has been more than 2 years.

The curling iron--I had a little slip up on 3/21 becasue my hair wasn't acting right and I didn't want to be the only one in the group of girls whose hair wasn't acting right. We were going to the club. Anyways, I put the curling iron on one section of hair, felt guilty, and put it back.

Before that slip up, it had been more than 2 years since I used a curling iron.

ngaa

since august the only heat i've used on my hair was for deep conditionin and i am very happy coz this shud mean less hair breakage but i may have to use heat today coz i'm gettin my hair done in corn rows and i've experienced A LOT of shrinkage and am worried that the lady may say that she needs to blow dry it to get it somewhat straight

gvsugirl

Thanx everyone for your responses. I am excited for my new goal. So will it take me a couple months to notice the benefit of using no heat? B/c I have a habit of thinking, well i dont see a difference after a 3-4 weeks and I begin using the flat irons again. So far I cant tell if I've seen a difference in breakage..

Yay this is my 100th post!!

Daughter

UK Blak
It took a just few weeks to see a difference with my hair, then again my hair was in braids just over 3 weeks before my last blow-dry.

Keep with it gurl, perseverance pays!

(And congrats on your 100th post, LOL!
)

Gldspoon

I used a blowdryer to straighten my hair before trimming the other day and thats basically the only time I will be using it (2-3 times a year from now on). I have to get the hair STICK STRAIGHT to make sure I trim off what NEEDS to be trimmed and nothing else. Other than that no heat but the hooded dryer (usually moist heat when doing deep conditioners). no irons of any kind.

Gldspoon

Faith

Sorry about the heat damage. How did you damage your hair with the flatiron? Was it stove or electric? I'm always looking for ways to avoid this myself so any advice is apprecited. TIA

Btw, I've been without flatiron and hotcombs for about 1 year or more now. But I blowdry every 3 months (that's the only way my sis can get a comb through my hair to cornrow it
...less screaming for me less frustration for her
)

dstdiva

it's been about 4 weeks for me...everysince i registered on the site. i've been under the dryer for a rollerset or rod, but i prefer to go to sleep with my rollers/rods in (i'm lazy
). i used to curl my hair everyday, so i'm sure my hair's in shock!

N

nicole

Its been a little over three months for me since my last flatiron/blowdry. I never thought I could manage my hair for this long without it being straight but through tips I got on this board, Ive got it looking pretty good if I do say so myself
it is definitely enjoying the break!

steph

i have only blow dried my hair twice in the past six months and my hair is lovin it. less breakage and it is thicker. I am trying to go another 3 to 4 months without blowdrying. My goal is only blowdry my hair max of 4 times a year. As i learn more how to take care of my hair from this board, i use heat less and less. I have not been back to my stylist in 6 months, so that means no pressing. i am happy about that, and i am seeing results