Heat protectants and their ingredients

caress

I was wondering about what heat protectants you ladies use besides the New Image product that was discontinued and Redken So Long Heat Treat which I use. Any good reviews?

Also do you ladies know of any ingredients to look for besides phytantriol (sp?) that are good heat protectants?

caress

Well I just went back over the article that someone from the board (Valleygirl I think) got their info about phytantriol. Here's more info from that article though I'm skeptical of what I read on the internet. I never know the motives of the people that write these articles. Here's the info anyway:

Review of Innovative Ingredients
• Anionic sulfonated polystyrene: Polymer film formed on the hair has high heat resistance due to the fact that this compound is thermally stable.

• Polyquaternium-4: Polymer film formed on the hair has high heat resistance.

• Phytantriol: Multi-functional ingredient- provides thermal protection, enhanced deposition on hair of actives, and provides hair strengthening in combination with Panthenol. Claims based on tensile strength studies, as well as hair deposition, penetration, and moisturization studies.

• PVP/DMAPA Acrylates Copolymer: Thermal Protectant, Improves wet and dry combing, boosts conditioner efficacy.

• Silk Amino acids: Low molecular weight indicates that the molecules can penetrate the cuticle. It has been shown to be highly substantive.

• Quaternium-70 (and) Propylene Glycol: Thermal Protectant, Improves wet and dry combing, boosts conditioner efficacy.

• Acrylamidopropyltrimonium Chloride/Acrylamide Copolymer: Highly efficient hair conditioner; provides smoothness and softness; excellent slip properties on dry and damaged hair.

• Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Polysiloxane Copolymer: Prevents thermal cracking of the hair shaft and prevents cuticle lifting. Has ability to cross link with itself on drying or upon heat activation, retards water evaporation, and also gives a strong cohesiveness to the cuticle.

• Cystine Polysiloxane: Prevents thermal cracking of the hair shaft and prevents cuticle lifting.

• 18 MEA Fatty Acid: Covalently bonds to hair; replenishing fatty acid.

• Chitasan PCA: A multifunctional ingredient that provides substantive moisturization to the hair in a uniform film. Films which are formed are highly resistant to being rinsed off.

• Panthenol: Hair conditioner, humectant, moisturizer. Improves strength of hair.

• Hydrolyzed Proteins: Hair Conditioner, moisturizer, polymer film former.

• Amodimethicone: Hair conditioning agent. Especially effective for damaged hair to give durability without build-up.

• Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride: A cationic guar derivative Provides good substantivity and conditioning to the hair. As a quaternized material, it will adhere to the hair surface and provide a moisture-holding film, increasing the suppleness, softness and sheen of hair. Combability is also enhanced, reducing damage. Smoothes and protects.

• Hydrolyzed Keratin: Permanent conditioning protein. Contains cystine.

• Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (and) Wheat Oligosaccharides: Conditioning Protein. Moisturizer for damaged hair.

• Polyquaternium-10: Substantive conditioning agent. Substantive to protein substrates.

• Cyclomethicone: Gives smoothness and silky sheen to hair.

• Dimethicones: Emollient, lubricant.

• Dimethicone Copolyol: Refatting agent, provides smoothness, softness. Lubricant. Contributes to gloss, sheen and combability.

• Phenyltrimethicone: Improvement of spreadability, shine.

• Polyquaternium-6: High charge density polymer provides substantivity to hair. Conditioner, moisturizer.

• Polyquaternium-7: Highly substantive to hair. Provides conditioning, smoothness moisturization.

• Polyquaternium- 11: Substantive Conditioner, film former. High cationic density.

• Polyquaternium-22: Highly substantive to hair. Conditioner,
moisturizer.

• Polyquaternium-37 (and) Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate (and) PEG-a Trideceth-6: Hair Conditioner, Humectant, Moisturizer. Rheology modifier providing sheer thinning properties.

• Polyquaternium-39: Conditioner, moisturizer, static flyaway
reduction.

*Edited to make reading it easier.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Thank you for that informative post, Caress! Yeah, Valleygirl sure was knowledgeable about a lot of hair care stuff - not to mention the owner of a magnificent, stunningly beautiful head of hair! I miss her posts.

caress

Your welcome. I'm still curious about the names of some alternative heat protectants though? Anybody?

jaibee

I really like design essentials reflections shine spray as a heat protectant. it protects the hair and gives it good shine.

miss_brown

I use TCB Heat Sense as a protectant when I blow dry. I like it a lot (perfect combo of oil and moisture in a creamy form), but I think it might be discontinued.

Anyway, thanks for all the info! I'm gonna save this one to my faves

UmSumayyah

thanks for bumping this caress. I just checked my Pantene Detangle Light Spray conditioner and it contains none of those ingredients. Same for the ORS Olive Oil lotion, which also claims to protect against heat. Perhaps one of the natural oils in the ORS serves that function. Anyway, sticking with the Thermasilk for now.
When I check my other heat protectants I will update.

caress

I'm sure these are not the only good ingredients out there. I knew I liked other products from Redken so that's why I started using Redken So Long Heat Treat. I like how my hair feels after using it so I kept using it. I'm about to finish my second bottle.

Desert Skye

I used to use ION Straighting Iron Spray. But for some reason it made my hair oily and i dont use it as much. Right now im liking Smooth Down Heat Glide by Redken. My hair likes this and when it makes my hair very smooth and shiny when i use the straightning iron and it doesnt feel weird in my hair.

nfynit_812

Great thread! I just bought IC Heat Protector Straightening Spray and Serum...it has at least 3 of those ingedients....we'll see when I use 'em next Saturday!

SweetNic_JA

bump! I'll be applying heat today + using my Maxiglide. I'll give you my reviews later on. I think some of the 4b ladies will be interested in the maxiglide reviews!

morehairplease

SweetNic_JA said:
bump! I'll be applying heat today + using my Maxiglide. I'll give you my reviews later on. I think some of the 4b ladies will be interested in the maxiglide reviews!

Can't wait for your review! I hope it turns out great SweetNic_JA!