Are serums and heat protectants the same?

devin

I am confused about serums and heat protectants and want to know if they are the same product. It is my understanding that serums give shine and are used when the hair is wet. Heat protectants are used before flat ironing or blowdrying the hair and come in a serum or liquid form. So what products are heat protectants and are there any products that are both shine serums and heat protectants? How do you use the heat protectant on wet or dry hair? TIA!:)

Porsche19

No.

Serums usually are products that contain a lot of silicones that make the hair shiny.

Heat protectants are leave-ins that contain ingredients that protect the hair from heat.

Although, some products are in between serum and a heat protecting leave in... they have qualities of both. Some heat protectants/leave ins are CALLED serums, but aren't. Most will fit into the two categories above though.

:) hair products can be confusing at times.

devin

thank you! i appreciate the help! yes hair products can be really confusing, especially for someone like me who knows close to nothing about hair. thanks to lhcf all that is changing!:D

Porsche19 said:
No.

Serums usually are products that contain a lot of silicones that make the hair shiny.

Heat protectants are leave-ins that contain ingredients that protect the hair from heat.

Although, some products are in between serum and a heat protecting leave in... they have qualities of both. Some heat protectants/leave ins are CALLED serums, but aren't. Most will fit into the two categories above though.

:) hair products can be confusing at times.