heat trained natural or texlax?

NEWYORK20004

My hair is 4b/c natural midback length hair. I've tried every bandwagon and every product on this board for severly course dense tightly coiled hair, nothing has worked. Im contemplating texlaxing or using heat to loosen my texture, as my ends continue to split, suffer excessive breakage, not to mention the ssk. I was thinking about getting my hair professional straightened every two weeks, but the thing that worries me is i can barely detangle my hair in the shower let alone use a comb attachment and blowdry my hair. If i can barely get a comb thru my hair without excessive breakage, what difference would a beautician get. Another option would be to light relax my hair for 7 or 8 min, and than im sure ill be able to blowdry and flat iron my hair with ease. I really just want more manageability, and less time in the bathroom. What would you do, texlax or heat train your hair.

ETA: Ive been natural for 4 years. I conditioner wash and deep condition with pantene w/ lots of oil. I wash and deep condition my hair in small plaits (10-12) for 30 min under a pibbs. I apply a creamy leave in, seal with oil or shea, put my hair back in plaits and a pony. I dont touch my hair until wash day. I wear my hair in protective styles 95% of the time , hardly use heat. Because my hair is tightly coiled (and i used severe to describe how dry my hair is, i am in no way saying my hair is bad, just trying to describe my hair) with low porosity, alot of my natural oil and leave in doesnt penetrate my hair, which cause my hair to coily up, which in turn gives me ssk and breakage.

Last edited:

belldandy

I am texlaxed. If you cant manage to perform the putting of heat on your head yourself, I dont know if its a good idea to be going to a stylist every 2 weeks. You could get a major setback that way. On the other hand, texlaxing could cause problems on top of the breakage you already have...you would have to give your hair so much more TLC.

Nonie

OP, how about trying the non-permanent methods like Diva Smooth...or even that home-made coconut and lime? Or have you considered such stretching your hair like Mwedzi does with banding or a warm iron? Did you see Sonce's new venture? I imagine BKT can be applied minus the heat...to get a bit of stretch...so maybe that's an option?

I just know if I had mid-back length hair, I would not be willing to do anything permanent to it in case I didn't like it. One thing I love about natural hair is the versatility and the ability to go back to my coils from whatever style I do.

ETA: If you decide to go one of the two ways you suggest, I would advise you to texlax than heat train. Heat trained hair is just heat damaged hair...which to me is just a short distance from turning into a crisp and breaking off. After coming so far, it'd seem really crazy to just go for damage in the name of having easier-to-handle hair. Sometimes maybe going shorter is best.

Last edited:

NappiShawti

i was natural all my life until this Feb. i decided 2 texlax & i was surprisingly happy w/ the results! i did it myself & have had no issues thus far. i think my hair is in a lil better condition b/c i dont comb so much of it out thru detangling/washing.

i used 2 keep my hands outta my head cuz it was so nappy/tightly packed. w/ texlaxing no one even knows i have a relaxer as my hair is not bone str8 & it is much easier 2 wash, comb & style in a neat bun. im happy w/ my choice & btw i have 4b/c hair too...not a curl or coil in sight lol :)

maybe pm Adora 4 info/advice? i know she recently texlaxd as well & had great results :)

supermodelsonya

Love love love my texlaxed hair.

I leave my relaxer in for 6-8 minutes and rinse using Mizani Butter Blends. I can go straight back to curly at anytime I choose.

The thing about texlaxing is making sure your results are consistent or else you can wind up with different textures all over your head. But I know many relaxed ladies with this issue as well.

Heat trained hair can work too.

prospurr4

My hair is 4b/c natural midback length hair. I've tried every bandwagon and every product on this board for severly course dense tightly coiled hair, nothing has worked. Im contemplating texlaxing or using heat to loosen my texture, as my ends continue to split, suffer excessive breakage, not to mention the ssk. I was thinking about getting my hair professional straightened every two weeks, but the thing that worries me is i can barely detangle my hair in the shower let alone use a comb attachment and blowdry my hair. If i can barely get a comb thru my hair without excessive breakage, what difference would a beautician get. Another option would be to light relax my hair for 7 or 8 min, and than im sure ill be able to blowdry and flat iron my hair with ease. I really just want more manageability, and less time in the bathroom. What would you do, texlax or heat train your hair.

I totally understand, OP. My hair type is mostly 4b, with 4c in the back. Years ago, I was faced with a similiar decision. Pre-LHCF, my hair was relaxed-straight, overprocessed and thin. My choices were to transition to natural and use heat to straighten or texlax. I decided to texlax, because I absolutely HATE using heat on my hair. :nono:

I process for about 12 minutes, every 3 months, and my hair still looks natural...and people assume it is. :laugh: I have the versatility of natural and straight styles, and my washdays are quick and easy. Four years later, I am still extremely happy with my decision. :grin:

I wish you success with your decision, OP.

BlackMasterPiece

My hair is 4b/c natural midback length hair. I've tried every bandwagon and every product on this board for severly course dense tightly coiled hair, nothing has worked.
What kind of results would make you feel that a product "worked"? Maybe the problem is jumping on various bandwagons. Also why does having dense tightly coarseness have to be "severe"? All you have to do is find ways to work with it.

Im contemplating texlaxing or using heat to loosen my texture, as my ends continue to split, suffer excessive breakage, not to mention the ssk.
What is your current regimen? What kinds of styles is your hair typically in?

I was thinking about getting my hair professional straightened every two weeks
I would strongly advise you to do this yourself rather then go to a stylist. First of all they're gonna charge you an arm and a leg for having long thick natural hair, second of all you could get just as good results on your own with the right techniques.

but the thing that worries me is i can barely detangle my hair in the shower let alone use a comb attachment and blowdry my hair. If i can barely get a comb thru my hair without excessive breakage, what difference would a beautician get.
Are you washing you hair loose or are you washing your hair in braids?

Another option would be to light relax my hair for 7 or 8 min, and than im sure ill be able to blowdry and flat iron my hair with ease. I really just want more manageability, and less time in the bathroom. What would you do, texlax or heat train your hair.
You can get that without introducing chemicals.

I need more background on your current regimen/typical styles but my advice is to definitely start using heat more regularly especially since you have coarse strands like me. I have no fear of heat, I use high heat regularly and it really helps with manageability and length retention.....so you can start that and really see a difference.

I'll wait to hear more about what you typically do with your hair to give you further insight.

NEWYORK20004

OP, how about trying the non-permanent methods like Diva Smooth...or even that home-made coconut and lime? Or have you considered such stretching your hair like Mwedzi does with banding or a warm iron? Did you see Sonce's new venture? I imagine BKT can be applied minus the heat...to get a bit of stretch...so maybe that's an option?

I just know if I had mid-back length hair, I would not be willing to do anything permanent to it in case I didn't like it. One thing I love about natural hair is the versatility and the ability to go back to my coils from whatever style I do.

ETA: If you decide to go one of the two ways you suggest, I would advise you to texlax than heat train. Heat trained hair is just heat damaged hair...which to me is just a short distance from turning into a crisp and breaking off. After coming so far, it'd seem really crazy to just go for damage in the name of having easier-to-handle hair. Sometimes maybe going shorter is best.

Ive tried banding and coconut lime relaxer, those didnt work. I just finished doing a bkt treatment, and it was alot of work not to mention alot of heat. I can see that being very damaging, as i would have to do it often to get my curls to lossen, not to mention its quite expensive.

Last edited:

NEWYORK20004

i was natural all my life until this Feb. i decided 2 texlax & i was surprisingly happy w/ the results! i did it myself & have had no issues thus far. i think my hair is in a lil better condition b/c i dont comb so much of it out thru detangling/washing.

i used 2 keep my hands outta my head cuz it was so nappy/tightly packed. w/ texlaxing no one even knows i have a relaxer as my hair is not bone str8 & it is much easier 2 wash, comb & style in a neat bun. im happy w/ my choice & btw i have 4b/c hair too...not a curl or coil in sight lol :)

maybe pm Adora 4 info/advice? i know she recently texlaxd as well & had great results :)

how long did you leave your relaxer, do you have pics.

NEWYORK20004

What kind of results would make you feel that a product "worked"? Maybe the problem is jumping on various bandwagons. Also why does having dense tightly coarseness have to be "severe"? All you have to do is find ways to work with it.

What is your current regimen? What kinds of styles is your hair typically in?

I would strongly advise you to do this yourself rather then go to a stylist. First of all they're gonna charge you an arm and a leg for having long thick natural hair, second of all you could get just as good results on your own with the right techniques.

Are you washing you hair loose or are you washing your hair in braids?

You can get that without introducing chemicals.

I need more background on your current regimen/typical styles but my advice is to definitely start using heat more regularly especially since you have coarse strands like me. I have no fear of heat, I use high heat regularly and it really helps with manageability and length retention.....so you can start that and really see a difference.

I'll wait to hear more about what you typically do with your hair to give you further insight.

Ive been natural for 4 years.
I conditioner wash and deep condition with pantene w/ lots of oil. I wash and deep condition my hair in small plaits (10-12) for 30 min under a pibbs. I apply a creamy leave in, seal with oil or shea, put my hair back in plaits and a pony. I dont touch my hair until wash day. I wear my hair in protective styles 95% of the time , hardly use heat. Because my hair is tightly coiled (and i used severe to describe how dry my hair is, i am in no way saying my hair is bad, just trying to describe my hair) with low porosity, alot of my natural oil and leave in doesnt penetrate my hair, which cause my hair to coily up, which in turn gives me ssk and breakage.

lexiwiththecurls

Heat training means you are damaging your hair until it is not as curly/coily/coarse. You are permanently loosening your coils by DAMAGE versus by chemicals of a relaxer/texturizer. Heat "Training" is definitely not the way to go. Alot of stylists don't even realize what they are doing by "heat training".

LadyRaider

I think your problem is that you can't get a comb through your hair. You need to solve that before any of the other issues.

I of course am no expert, but I really did see a difference in my hair when I found the "right" products.

MBL hair is a lot of hair... like someone said... you might need to wash in braids.

MBL! I wish I had your problems. :)

ETA: Maybe you need to touch your hair more. Don't let it get so tangly.

Last edited:

BlackMasterPiece

Ive been natural for 4 years.
I conditioner wash and deep condition with pantene w/ lots of oil. I wash and deep condition my hair in small plaits (10-12) for 30 min under a pibbs. I apply a creamy leave in, seal with oil or shea, put my hair back in plaits and a pony. I dont touch my hair until wash day. I wear my hair in protective styles 95% of the time , hardly use heat. Because my hair is tightly coiled (and i used severe to describe how dry my hair is, i am in no way saying my hair is bad, just trying to describe my hair) with low porosity, alot of my natural oil and leave in doesnt penetrate my hair, which cause my hair to coily up, which in turn gives me ssk and breakage.
Okay well your regimen sounds good. You just leave it in those braids all week? Or do you undo them? I think you should definitely look into doing some periodic presses, presses have been very good to me and have probably aided in me retaining length. Plus very coarse hair can take it. Here is my straightening technique which is from the thread called Naturals how do YOU straighten.

NEWYORK20004

Okay well your regimen sounds good. You just leave it in those braids all week? Or do you undo them? I think you should definitely look into doing some periodic presses, presses have been very good to me and have probably aided in me retaining length. Plus very coarse hair can take it. Here is my straightening technique which is from the thread called Naturals how do YOU straighten.

:yep: yep, i leave them in and dont touch till wash day.

hair4romheaven

Do what makes you and your hair happy. ;-) at the end of the day you have to do your hair. I myself may texlax (lightly) for the same reasons as you.

BlackMasterPiece

Have you tried two-strand twists? Do you feel your hair responds well to the DCs/ products you've been using?

Maybe you need better styles to keep your hair stretched and tangle free.

Last edited:

brittanynic16

My hair is heat trained and I love it. People also say heat training = heat damage. Chemical process = chemical damage. So, it confuses me when people are so quick to down heat training. I perfer it because I also love to bleach my ends and then dye them. I wouldn't be able to do that with a relaxer. So, I can still color my hair and it not break off with the heat but not a relaxer. Still don't get how people down the heat.

NEWYORK20004

Have you tried two-strand twists? Do you feel your hair responds well to the DCs/ products you've been using?

Maybe you need better styles to keep your hair stretched and tangle free.

Ive tried bantu knots, small plaits, twists, banding, ponytail rollerset, tension method, all has the same result. My hair outside of braids cant be exposed for to long, it always results in dry hair with ssk.

gradygirl

I had to make this decision as well. I tried the heat training thing and it did not turn out well for me. My hair is resistant and it took ALOT of heat to get my hair straight. I did not make my decision lightly but in the end I considered my lifestyle and made my decision based on that. I texlaxed in February and I love it. I have been relaxed bone straight, natural, and texturized in the past but I like being texlaxed the most because I can easily get my hair straight with just a rollerset or blowdryer or I can wear a wash and go and no longer have to worry about the ssk. Good luck on your decision and do what is best for your hair.
Blessings

prospurr4

My hair is heat trained and I love it. People also say heat training = heat damage. Chemical process = chemical damage. So, it confuses me when people are so quick to down heat training. I perfer it because I also love to bleach my ends and then dye them. I wouldn't be able to do that with a relaxer. So, I can still color my hair and it not break off with the heat but not a relaxer. Still don't get how people down the heat.

For me, I don't use heat because, frankly, I am really bad at blow-drying/flat-ironing my hair. :lachen:So, since I chose chemicals instead, I don't want to use both. BTW, your hair looks pretty in your siggy pic.

Zsugar

I went from completely natural to texlax. I did it every 6 months for 1.5 years, so a total of 3 times.Each time done by the same professional. My hair just didn't like it. Plus, trying to get the same results each time was nerve wracking for me.

I would start with just a little heat from a blow dryer and Roux porosity control helped me soooooooooooooooo much.

Ishtar

Indian powders helped me stretch in the beginning of my journey( hibiscus and shikakai). I want to go back but I'm being cheap. I have extremely dry hair in the crown area.I use very heavy deep conditioners and leave them on all night.

It helps but I don't have nearly the amt of hair you do. Still transitioning.

taz007

I had the same problem as you. I was natural for 9 years and the SSKs were out of control! I could barely get a comb through my hair. NO. Matter. What. I. Tried.

So, I decided to become a "heat trained" natural. BIG MISTAKE!! The results of this can be seen in my first siggy pic :nono:. I, apparently, wasn't skilled enough in my heat application.

In 2008, I decided to relax my hair. Now, I am transitioning to texlaxed and so far so good (I have about 2 inches of texlaxed hair).

My hair is getting thicker and thicker! And I can easily comb it with no SSKs. I no longer have to dedicate an entire day to detangling.

I say, do your research and then do what makes you happy.

Last edited:

Eluv

IMO go with the heat first, because texlaxing is more permanent.

I have a hard time understanding why it’s so hard for you to get a comb through your hair while detangling in the shower with a conditioner plus oil. Maybe your conditioner is too thick. It is a must to use a moisturizing conditioner with a thin consistency while detangling, try VO5 or Suave after you DC.

Heat will help with the SSK.

BTW, I’m texlaxed. I do not like using heat for my fine/low density hair, because it reverts the same day and I prefer to not waste my time.

NEWYORK20004

IMO go with the heat first, because texlaxing is more permanent.

I have a hard time understanding why it’s so hard for you to get a comb through your hair while detangling in the shower with a conditioner plus oil. Maybe your conditioner is too thick. It is a must to use a moisturizing conditioner with a thin consistency while detangling, try VO5 or Suave after you DC.

Heat will help with the SSK.

BTW, I’m texlaxed. I do not like using heat for my fine/low density hair, because it reverts the same day and I prefer to not waste my time.

Detangling in the shower with loads of oil isnt the problem. I can get a comb thru it, its when i step out the shower and my hair still tangles up and forms ssks, as if i didnt just spend hours and hours in the bathroom detangling.

BlackMasterPiece

Do you rebraid immediately after detangling a section? That should keep the tangles away.

Clearly what you've been doing hasn't been working...I think you need a change in approach/technique and products but you should do whatever makes you happy.

Nonie

Ive tried banding and coconut lime relaxer, those didnt work. I just finished doing a bkt treatment, and it was alot of work not to mention alot of heat. I can see that being very damaging, as i would have to do it often to get my curls to lossen, not to mention its quite expensive.

Does BKT HAVE to be cooked in your hair? Can't people just apply it to hair like the Brazilian Blowout and skip the heat, like my friend's friend?