heat trained natural or texlax?

Nonie

Do you rebraid immediately after detangling a section? That should keep the tangles away.

Clearly what you've been doing hasn't been working...I think you need a change in approach/technique and products but you should do whatever makes you happy.

I was just gonna say that. To me if you really think about 4B hair, there's no way you would be able to deal with it if after detangling you just left it to its own devices. Those tiny coils seem so obvious to me that they are nothing but trouble makers. Hence the reason I wash in braids. And if I didn't, I'd braid it the minute I finished detangling. I remember even as a kid, my mom did this. She's wash my hair and braid it wet to stretch it while it dried and then part it to cornrow. I didn't really understand the structure of the strands but what I did know is that when it was wet, it turned into something like those mats you keep at your doorstep for cleaning off mud. A compact uncombable mass.

BTW, serious question, how did you get to MBL? I'm asking because I'm just floored that you got there while having such a hard time with your hair. Were you in some braided style/weave 24/7?

NEWYORK20004

I was just gonna say that. To me if you really think about 4B hair, there's no way you would be able to deal with it if after detangling you just left it to its own devices. Those tiny coils seem so obvious to me that they are nothing but trouble makers. Hence the reason I wash in braids. And if I didn't, I'd braid it the minute I finished detangling. I remember even as a kid, my mom did this. She's wash my hair and braid it wet to stretch it while it dried and then part it to cornrow. I didn't really understand the structure of the strands but what I did know is that when it was wet, it turned into something like those mats you keep at your doorstep for cleaning off mud. A compact uncombable mass.

BTW, serious question, how did you get to MBL? I'm asking because I'm just floored that you got there while having such a hard time with your hair. Were you in some braided style/weave 24/7?

I got their by doing nothing, only messing with my hair on wash days only and leaving my hair in braids 99% of the time.

NEWYORK20004

Does BKT HAVE to be cooked in your hair? Can't people just apply it to hair like the Brazilian Blowout and skip the heat, like my friend's friend?

you have to use heat in order for it to penetrate, or else it wouldnt work. Isnt brazilian blow out the same thing, minus the flat iron and round brush, doesnt it require alot of direct heat.

BlackMasterPiece

How often do you trim/do search & destroys/dust?

Are you sleeping with a satin scarf/bonnet?

I think upping the heat usage and doing it properly can really help you out.

Do you have a hair album anywhere?

NEWYORK20004

I search and destroy almost every wash day. I just cut 5 inches off, yes, i tie my hair at night and sleep on a satin pillowcase.

SignatureBeauty

I am sorry you are having such a hard time, but do what you need to do to make it less stressful for you, I would go with Texlax. I had texlaxed hair and din;t have a problem, DLewis on here has Beautiful Texlaxed Hair!

Good Luck with whatever U decide to do with your hair! You got alot of great advice!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
Why not just keep your hair stretched? My hair tangles so easily. It's almost magnetic. But when I keep it constantly stretched. On wash days I oil my hair first, then wash it in sections and don't do anything to promote tangling. I airdry in braids. Slather on my product and either blowdry or twist/braid/bantu knot it and wear it fully out the next day.

I never have issues when I stick to this. Curly Nicki is the master of this as is Black Master Piece.

Regardless, if you want to relax your hair, then do it. I'm just saying that there are ways to manage your natural hair without drama, excess time or ridiculous amounts of effort.

Nonie

you have to use heat in order for it to penetrate, or else it wouldnt work. Isnt brazilian blow out the same thing, minus the flat iron and round brush, doesnt it require alot of direct heat.

My friend's friend apparently didn't use heat. She gets the Brazilian Blowout then uses a diffuser or air-dries in lieu of heat. Her hair doesn't get the wispy straight but just looks wavy. I imagine on 4B hair it'd look like a blowout. And if having hair that doesn't shrink up and knot up is your goal, I think that should suffice.

Strangely enough, I'm not too crazy about wispy straight hair. I love seeing a good press but I don't know if I've actually seen pressed BKT hair (the kind that went through the whole process) that wasn't wispy. So if I were to go that route, I'd see if there's a way to avoid the heat.

So maybe BKT has to have heat. But my friend's friend doesn't use heat at all. I asked my friend if she could try and get a photo for me one day to show y'all.

Thanks for all your help ladies, i know what im gonna do.

What did you decide? Just curious.

I wish you the best. You have to decide what's best for you. Even the advice in this thread doesn't apply to everyone.

I think you should definitely look into doing some periodic presses, presses have been very good to me and have probably aided in me retaining length. Plus very coarse hair can take it.

Not always the case. My hair is very coarse and I have to be VERY careful about my presses. Most people assume that coarse hair can take more heat, but that is not always the case. Too many other factors.

I have a hard time understanding why it’s so hard for you to get a comb through your hair while detangling in the shower with a conditioner plus oil.

Oils in my products leave my hair a H.A.M.

I'm saying these things not to discredit the advice, but to let you know that you just can't necessarily do what everybody else does. Bandwagons are for experimentation, IMO. Treat the specific issues you are having versus trying the hottest regimen. Whether you end up texlaxing or heat training, you might still need to understand how to treat the underlying issues.

That being said, let me throw in my own two cents worth of advice for the SSKs :rolleyes: - I get them too, and they drive me mad. The only thing that works for me is trimming, and then putting coconut oil on my ends EVERY NIGHT.

Good luck!!

NEWYORK20004

My friend's friend apparently didn't use heat. She gets the Brazilian Blowout then uses a diffuser or air-dries in lieu of heat. Her hair doesn't get the wispy straight but just looks wavy. I imagine on 4B hair it'd look like a blowout. And if having hair that doesn't shrink up and knot up is your goal, I think that should suffice.

Strangely enough, I'm not too crazy about wispy straight hair. I love seeing a good press but I don't know if I've actually seen pressed BKT hair (the kind that went through the whole process) that wasn't wispy. So if I were to go that route, I'd see if there's a way to avoid the heat.

So maybe BKT has to have heat. But my friend's friend doesn't use heat at all. I asked my friend if she could try and get a photo for me one day to show y'all.

oh, you mean as far as maintenance, she doesnt use heat, but she initially used heat when applying the treatment. The bkt is supposed to do the same thing, its supposed to last 6 mos with minimal heat, as your supposed to be able to just wash and go, but with my texture it came out as if i just blowdried, its a process.

brucebettye

Since you say you cannot get a comb through your hair try a seamless comb. They work wonders. Have your tried combing your hair will it is damp or loaded with conditioner? Also you must be doing something right if you are mbl with natural hair.

NEWYORK20004

Since you say you cannot get a comb through your hair try a seamless comb. They work wonders. Have your tried combing your hair will it is damp or loaded with conditioner? Also you must be doing something right if you are mbl with natural hair.

just curious, why did you texlax.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Slowly heat train FTW.

Good luck with your decision

NappiShawti

how long did you leave your relaxer, do you have pics.

i used ORS no-lye mild & left it on 4 about 8-10 mins...sorry no pics of the actual process! was 2 scared 2 waste time w/ that while applying relaxer lol:)

actually my avi shows how my hair looks texlax'd...pic was taken abt 2-3 wks post

Last edited:

KnitChick

I say do whatever you think you can get the best results out of and maintain properly.

I mix 1/2 a lye relaxer and half olive oil and leave on for 5 minutes and it takes away my frizz 4 a/b mix...LUV IT:lick:

...but then again I still consider myself natural :yep::rolleyes:

lilikoi

Does BKT HAVE to be cooked in your hair? Can't people just apply it to hair like the Brazilian Blowout and skip the heat, like my friend's friend?

BKT needs to be "baked" onto the hair with the flatiron. If you don't you end up rinsing expensive treatment down the drain (without deriving any benefits). However, the flatironing temperature used can be a lot lower than the commonly prescribed 450ºF :)nono:). Check the "keratin support" theread (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=10891768) for recent descriptions of effective treatment at 375-410ºF (depending on the type and condition of the hair).

Personally, I think BKT is great for natural hair (reversible!) though more that one treatment is need for virgin hair to see dramatic results.

naturalhigh

I've read so many posts on Henna, the natural ladies don't like how it changes/relaxes their curl pattern. I am natural and have used henna the past 2 months or so and have seen a dramatic change in loosening of my curls, it took about 3 henna treatments before I saw a change. I love the body I get with henna too. Just a thought! :drunk:

ryanshope

Hello OP,

Seeing that being natural for the past 4 years with little to no heat has gotten your hair to MBL, your regime sees to be working well for you. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Has this been a problem the entire time you have been natural or has it become worse now that your hair is longer? If your hair is becoming a burden, maybe u should texlax. I would BKT before I texlax, but you stated that you tried that and it was too much heat and too expensive. I don't know enough about heat training to comment. Texlaxing seems like the best option since you can do that with less frequency than heat training and your hair will still retain a curl pattern if done correctly.

Either way, good luck and enjoy ur hair.

Last edited:

MAMATO

I've been natural, heat trained and texlaxed, I prefer texlaxed for my own hair. I am a 4A very coarse and thick hair. Before I got my first relaxer ever, I pressed my hair for 2 years straight every 2 weeks because my hair natural hair was extremely tangly and thick. I was expecting my hair to keep the curls after washday. Unfortunately even if it was done by a professionnal, my hair was accidently heat damaged.

My hair became more porous and was extremely difficult to detangle when wet. But at the other hand, when dry it was ok, less difficult to comb. I eventually lost all of my curls and much of my length since it was so dry and brittle.

Then I relaxed my hair. I kind of like the manageability it gave me, but did not like the straight look. When I found LHCF, I learned a lot about haircare and decided to texlax. I love it :) I like the fact that I get the manageability and at the same time I can KEEP MY CURLS and my length...much more length. I love my length, my curls, my big hair.

If I had to choose between natural curls, texlaxed or heat trained. I'd go with my natural curls first if I can handle them, then texlaxed, but no way I'd heat train because I love curly hair.

Last edited:

westNDNbeauty

I didn't read all the comments, but your options seem so drastic. Rather than heat training, what about simply introducing your hair to heat....not to train it (which in my opinion is damaging), but just to make it more manageable. A light blow dry on super small sections. It might take some time initially, but you may find your hair to be more manageable in this state.

Also, I find when when I used the relaxer method for conditioning, it melts away my tangles and knots and my hair is super easy to detangle. I use this method consistently, especially when my hair has been in a braid n' curl for 2 weeks straight (no combing) and its damn near knotted up and detangling is a breeeezeee after I condition with this method.

Last edited:

NEWYORK20004

Hello OP,

Seeing that being natural for the past 4 years with little to no heat has gotten your hair to MBL, your regime sees to be working well for you. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Has this been a problem the entire time you have been natural or has it become worse now that your hair is longer? If your hair is becoming a burden, maybe u should texlax. I would BKT before I texlax, but you stated that you tried that and it was too much heat and too expensive. I don't know enough about heat training to comment. Texlaxing seems like the best option since you can do that with less frequency than heat training and your hair will still retain a curl pattern if done correctly.

Either way, good luck and enjoy ur hair.

Ive always had the issue of ssk and dry hair, but always figured with the right products and technique it will get better, but it hasnt. One thing that i did find was my hair loves coconut oil, but ill make my decision in the next few weeks.

NEWYORK20004

I didn't read all the comments, but your options seem so drastic. Rather than heat training, what about simply introducing your hair to heat....not to train it (which in my opinion is damaging), but just to make it more manageable. A light blow dry on super small sections. It might take some time initially, but you may find your hair to be more manageable in this state.

Also, I find when when I used the relaxer method for conditioning, it melts away my tangles and knots and my hair is super easy to detangle. I use this method consistently, especially when my hair has been in a braid n' curl for 2 weeks straight (no combing) and its damn near knotted up and detangling is a breeeezeee after I condition with this method.

i havent done that in a long time, ill try it and see if it helps.

dancinstallion

Ive always had the issue of ssk and dry hair, but always figured with the right products and technique it will get better, but it hasnt. One thing that i did find was my hair loves coconut oil, but ill make my decision in the next few weeks.

Have you decided what you are going to do or have you done it already?
I use New era acid balance relaxer and it is a ph of 6. It doesn't use the same chemicals for a texlax/relaxer. So it just loosens the curl pattern a little.

I still look natural even though I am not. My hair is easier to manage but it still is kinky/curly. I have 4b/4c hair type. I don't use heat(but I might start). I have less shrinkage than when I was natural.

arosieworld

Thanks 4 our nail *****!
I think you and I have similar hair. I have done everything to mine and finally decided to texlax. I hope you find something that works for you. Did you already BKT? it made de-tangling easier for me but that's about it and I did it 3 times. I also tried to heat train my hair which for some hair types I think it cause damage, my hair on the other hand likes heat and the only part of my hair that maybe damaged is my bangs but I think that has more to do with them staying constantly straight for so long, they don't feel different they just have less natural curl than the rest of my hair. My hair is still amazingly healthy I feel its due to moisturizing with steam and honey. I also tried the every 2 week Dominican salon thing and it did nothing to change my hair.

Platinum

What did you decide to do with your hair, OP?

I've read so many posts on Henna, the natural ladies don't like how it changes/relaxes their curl pattern. I am natural and have used henna the past 2 months or so and have seen a dramatic change in loosening of my curls, it took about 3 henna treatments before I saw a change. I love the body I get with henna too. Just a thought! :drunk:

I agree with this post.

MissBCurly

My hair is 4b/c natural midback length hair. I've tried every bandwagon and every product on this board for severly course dense tightly coiled hair, nothing has worked. Im contemplating texlaxing or using heat to loosen my texture, as my ends continue to split, suffer excessive breakage, not to mention the ssk. I was thinking about getting my hair professional straightened every two weeks, but the thing that worries me is i can barely detangle my hair in the shower let alone use a comb attachment and blowdry my hair. If i can barely get a comb thru my hair without excessive breakage, what difference would a beautician get. Another option would be to light relax my hair for 7 or 8 min, and than im sure ill be able to blowdry and flat iron my hair with ease. I really just want more manageability, and less time in the bathroom. What would you do, texlax or heat train your hair.

ETA: Ive been natural for 4 years. I conditioner wash and deep condition with pantene w/ lots of oil. I wash and deep condition my hair in small plaits (10-12) for 30 min under a pibbs. I apply a creamy leave in, seal with oil or shea, put my hair back in plaits and a pony. I dont touch my hair until wash day. I wear my hair in protective styles 95% of the time , hardly use heat. Because my hair is tightly coiled (and i used severe to describe how dry my hair is, i am in no way saying my hair is bad, just trying to describe my hair) with low porosity, alot of my natural oil and leave in doesnt penetrate my hair, which cause my hair to coily up, which in turn gives me ssk and breakage.

have you thought about BKT?