HELLO LADIES...I WANT TO HENNA BUT I"M SCARED...PLEASE GIVE ME TIPS!!!

missliberia

Hello Ladies,

I always wanted to do a jet black henna, but have always been too chicken.:sad: Yes,I'm a punk when it comes to my hair lol. I just started looking at LUSH caca noir mama because of a post earlier this week. Please give me advice,suggestions, ideas etc. Educate a sista!!!!

http://www.lushusa.com/Caca-Noir-Mama/00683,en_US,pd.html?start=2&q=INDIGO#pr-header-00683

Hey! I have been looking into this as well. Apparently it is best to do a henna treatment then an indigo one right after to give that jet black hair. I'm on my iPhone right now so I cannot post links but google "best place to buy henna" because there is a very reputable site that offers plenty of information. Bon chance!

deedoswell

I'm going to do my first henna this weekend. (Hopefully) I purchased mine from Mehandi.com. Did some research online about them. They are very, very, helpful. Write them a question via email and you have an answer that same day. Wish me luck.
There are many ladies on here that have been doing henna for years and if you search LHCF you will find many helpful posts; I've been reading henna posts on here for months. Good luck.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Make sure youre ok with the smell of that stuff. I could not hang with the henna bandwagon becuase the smell was AWFUL.

Alta Angel

DEEP CONDITION WEEKLY (at least)!!!!

I love henna, but I did not realize it was so drying to the hair. I had to get a major trim at my last visit to the stylist due to the dryness of my hair. My stylist told me that with henna, it is essential that I steam or deep condition weekly at a minimum! According to my stylist, even though I kept my hair moisturized with water based moisturizers sealed with oil, the moisture did not penetrate the hair shaft. I will still use henna, but only at the roots from now on.

coolsista-paris

The first time i did henna i hated it (hair was so dry)!!! Then after some reaseach i tried :

Henna + lots of oil (that gave slip and moisturized hair) +amla powder + 1 egg or 2 egg yolks.

My hair always comes out strong and soft, and moisturized ;-)
By the way, its neutral henna i use. It doesnt give colour

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
DEEP CONDITION WEEKLY (at least)!!!!

I love henna, but I did not realize it was so drying to the hair. I had to get a major trim at my last visit to the stylist due to the dryness of my hair. My stylist told me that with henna, it is essential that I steam or deep condition weekly at a minimum! According to my stylist, even though I kept my hair moisturized with water based moisturizers sealed with oil, the moisture did not penetrate the hair shaft. I will still use henna, but only at the roots from now on.[/QUOTE]

YES. TO. ALL. OF. THIS.

Let me preface my response by saying my hair is highly porous so it takes things like relaxer and apparently henna with the quickness...with that being said...

Not only did henna dry my hair out to a crispity, crackly mess, it had the nerve to seriously loosen my curl pattern. So I looked like I had a dry, underprocessed Wave Nouveau atop my head, :lachen:!

:ohwell:. Not cute.

It wasn't funny at the time but now, meh. That's what I get for jumping on bandwagons. Just know that whatever moisture game you got now MUST be jacked up the the 10th power to keep your situation moisturized! But it did thicken my fine hair up so that was and is the only positive claim I got from using henna. It stinks, it's messy, it dyes errythang, it takes forever to rinse out, :nono:.

But this is just my experience and I know a lot of folks on the board LOVE IT...

Lexsmarie

I henna once per month and been doing so for almost 2 years. I really like to henna because of the strengthening, thicker strands and color for my grays :look:

I like to add in my henna bowl

Alma
Brahmi
melted coconut oil
olive oil or almond oil
aloe vera juice
Herbal Essence Hello Hydration Conditioner or V05 Strawberry Creme Moisture Milk Conditioner

The conditioner, AVJ and oils will help from making the hair feel super dry and the conditioner also helps with the scent (make sure its a strong scent conditioner!). I would rinse out as much as possible before applying a mild shampoo/cowash.

I also prefer to Henna in the evening so I can apply a thick conditioner and seal with oil after I wash out the henna, leave it in overnight and then co-wash in the morning, bun n go (or style).

I've recently read about applying coconut milk with the henna and I plan to experience that next time.

HHG... and I hope you will like the results! :drunk:

shyekiera

wow!!! i was just asking about henna...but i think yall have changed my mind!!! my hair is dry enough on its own!

sharifeh

i love henna, yes it's drying but you can counter that with DCINg

the only thing I hate about henna is the mess ugh make sure you wear clothes you don't care about

don't be scared OP. try it and see if you like it. the smell is special but you get used to it :lol:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
shyekiera

I'm Relaxed. I wait about a week or 2 post before I Hendigo. I've read Relaxed Heads that will apply directly after Relaxing. I've never done that.

cocomama
I agree. The key is taking your moisture to the Max. Washing the Henna/Indigo out with Conditioner helps as well as a good moisturizing Steam Treatment afterwards.

greenandchic

I love henna! You'll get more info when you research it, but here are a few things that have helped me over the last few years:

• Suave Conditioner to cowash the henna out. Even if I use 1/2 bottle, it makes hennaing so much easier.
  • Use BAQ (body art quality) henna only.
  • Deep condition often especially after rinsing out the henna. Never henna without DCing.

shyekiera

The more looking I do, I am getting frustrated... I see some that say hair quality henna, but the body art henna doesn't seem like enough to do a whole head

leiah

last question...does henna add protein? i see that ppl say it strengthens the hair.

It doesn't have protein, it binds to your hair making it thicker and stronger.

You don't have to avoid using henna for hair, just make sure it is strictly henna and not some kind of hair dye.

Ajna

Hello Ladies,

I always wanted to do a jet black henna, but have always been too chicken.:sad: Yes,I'm a punk when it comes to my hair lol. I just started looking at LUSH caca noir mama because of a post earlier this week. Please give me advice,suggestions, ideas etc. Educate a sista!!!!

http://www.lushusa.com/Caca-Noir-Mama/00683,en_US,pd.html?start=2&q=INDIGO#pr-header-00683

Oh my $25 for like 300 grams...geez that would stop me right there.
I think I spend about $20 for 500 grams and about $10 for 250 grams of indigo.

Next is lush likes to add stuff in their products because I have seen that bar and it has a perfume smell which is wrong because henna is funky. Next it is a bar turning a bar into paste feels like a disaster I mean I could be wrong but you would need to chop it or pound it out so it will mix well.

If this is your first time using henna I would suggest you do the process which is henna first then rinse and add the indigo that way you get the black you want.

Personally my hair was getting really red so now I mix 1/3 indigo into my henna mix and my hair is now closer to a dark brown.

There are a ton of recipes for henna http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html

I have used henna for years and the things you must do is let it sit on your hair long enough and you have to dc when you are done.

shyekiera

Oh my $25 for like 300 grams...geez that would stop me right there.
I think I spend about $20 for 500 grams and about $10 for 250 grams of indigo.

Next is lush likes to add stuff in their products because I have seen that bar and it has a perfume smell which is wrong because henna is funky. Next it is a bar turning a bar into paste feels like a disaster I mean I could be wrong but you would need to chop it or pound it out so it will mix well.

If this is your first time using henna I would suggest you do the process which is henna first then rinse and add the indigo that way you get the black you want.

Personally my hair was getting really red so now I mix 1/3 indigo into my henna mix and my hair is now closer to a dark brown.

There are a ton of recipes for henna http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html

I have used henna for years and the things you must do is let it sit on your hair long enough and you have to dc when you are done.

I want the red!

bride91501

I buy my Jamila henna from my local Indian grocer. Been henna'ing for 2 years now, and I love it.

My mix includes: V05 or HH conditioner, green tea, amla powder, water, olive oil, and castor oil. This mix leaves my hair feeling GREAT - the perfect blend between strong and moisturized. I always DC afterwards, usually overnight (my usual DC process).

I can see how henna'ing with just water would be drying...I personally wouldn't recommend that. I think the oils and conditioner in my mix help to keep my hair moisturized.

cocomama

Thanks Ladies for all the info!!!!! NaturalBeauty<3 Cool pictorial:grin:
I'm leaning towards the lush brand plus I will order the indigo online.
I'm nervous...I will be back with beaucoup pics when I build up enough nerve. I'm shooting for Jan 2013. ...:yep:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
bride91501
what's the name/location of the indian store you get your henna from???
I buy my Jamila henna from my local Indian grocer. Been henna'ing for 2 years now, and I love it.

My mix includes: V05 or HH conditioner, green tea, amla powder, water, olive oil, and castor oil. This mix leaves my hair feeling GREAT - the perfect blend between strong and moisturized. I always DC afterwards, usually overnight (my usual DC process).

I can see how henna'ing with just water would be drying...I personally wouldn't recommend that. I think the oils and conditioner in my mix help to keep my hair moisturized.
i've been henna'ing since 2006 and i use just henna & water... sometimes i add honey.... but i always follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner and/or leave-in... i don't use protein conditioners only henna... i've never had a problem with drying excepting when i was using it every week (don't ever do that:nono:)... once every month to 2 months is enough...

sweetgal

I was relaxed when I tried henna. At first I thought I liked it because it gives the apperance of thicker strands and more body. It also seemed to give the strands more strength. However it was so drying. It made my dry hair more dry. It was awful despite the fact that a used a "well known and excellent brand of henna. I joined the big henna bandwagon on here at that time and lived to regret it. I'm not sure wht I will use to cover my greys when I get older because I'm trying to avoid chemicals at all cost. Op please be careful-maybe try a small area first to test how your hair will respond.

g.lo

when I started my hair journey in jan 2011, i did henna every 6 weeks without fail. i stopped henna out of lazyness around october 2011.
Since I have been experiencing splits ends, mid shaft slits, knots, first i thought it was the brushes, combs and I removed them from my routine.
Still no change, I was trimming my hair every month and at one point was about to shave everything off:perplexed.
this weeks after nearly a year of trying to find what went wrong, I had a light bulb moment and realise it was the henna! so henna is back into my routine since wednesday!:yep:

AtlantaJJ

I use straight BAQ henna (Red Raj from Henna Sooq) mixed with hibiscus tea, and about 3 tablespoons of water. I oil my hair with olive oil before I apply my henna. I also dunk my head in water after co-washing the henna out of my hair to make sure I get all of the henna out. After that I DC with steam. I don't have problems with dryness at all.

I think the quality of the henna plus what you use to mix your batches with makes a huge difference in your henna experience. I was advised not to mix coffee, green or black tea in my batches because it can cause dryness.

ETA: I don't like Jamila henna.

Last edited:

shyekiera

I use straight BAQ henna (Red Raj from Henna Sooq) mixed with hibiscus tea, and about 3 tablespoons of water. I oil my hair with olive oil before I apply my henna. I also dunk my head in water after co-washing the henna out of my hair to make sure I get all of the henna out. After that I DC with steam. I don't have problems with dryness at all.

I think the quality of the henna plus what you use to mix your batches with makes a huge difference in your henna experience. I was advised not to mix coffee, green or black tea in my batches because it can cause dryness.

ETA: I don't like Jamila henna.

The description of this says its really red... That's what I want so I will be trying this one out..and it must be popular, cuz it's sold out.

Last edited: