Help! Air drying leaves a frizzie mess!

alona

My hair (from middle to ends) is frizzie & brittle. (probably damaged from over processing and daily moisture neglect). When I air dry, it breaks, becomes more frizzie and tangled.This has been going on for months.

I just switched to AO and infusion 23 leave-in and a daily moisturizer concoction of cocoa butter (palmers) and ORS Shea butter for locks (my hair is relaxed) I think I'm 4a/b

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? I want to go without heat for the rest of the year.

tia

NaturalRox

Alona, have you maybe tried a deep conditioning treatment? A honey/olive oil treatment can do wonders for brittle hair. I recommend trying this with a heat cap.

alona

What about honey/olive oil/coconut milk treatment w/heat cap or is that too much, especially w/ao products?

NaturalRox

Personally I've not tried to coconut milk treatment, so I can't comment on that. But I've heard good things about it though so perhaps you can try that. Also, since deep conditioning treatments wash out, it shouldn't be a problem adding this to your regimen with the use of the other products on a regular basis. HTH!

OnceUponAtime

Alona, Are you relaxed? I ask because, it seems like you're battling damage. Not much helps that, I'm sad to say.

If it's chemical damage, you will have to keep trimming. I did this when I first joined the board. I had relaxer damage that wouldn't stop breaking and was hard as a rock. I trimmed as little as possible every chance I got, because I was afraid of going too short and having to rely on heat for styling. So, I started dusting my ends every week. No more than a fraction of an inch. It took a little over a month and my hair behaved better and was easily moisturized soon after. I figure that I probably trimmed about an inch over a short period of time.

Also, I made sure that I incorporated frequent conditioner washes into my routine and to compensate for heat styling, I wore braid outs and shake and go curly styles.

I'm see you're using a loc butter and I'm not familiar with that product. If it contains mineral oil, you may need to cease use until your hair can handle it. See if you can get any natural butters and or switch to olive oil.

I'm not sure of your length, but if it's long enough, try the baggie method (make sure your hair has a little water on the ends before using the plastic). I used this alot in the begining and found it helpful. Adrienne0914 and Boadicia have different versions of this method and it works well for them both.

There are a lot of techniques you can apply to, but it take experimenting to see what your hair "likes".

HTH

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
*sigh* alona I feel your pain. Air drying does not work for me. The only time I've had it work was IMMEDIATLY after a relaxer. I think I'm one of the few people that's able to use heat and not have a problem with it so I've stopped trying to air dry. It's done more harm that good in my case.

I agree with OnceUponAtime about the damage. I'd also recommend finding a REALLY GOOD deep conditioner. Nexus Humectress and Design Essentials Stimulations are both good, creamy conditioners. It sounds like your hair's feining for moisture.

Leslie_C

jujuboo, I see we are on the same page with the design essentials! Not many ppl use the line but its one of my favs overall!:)'

Alona,
last night I had a really sweaty workout so I co washed when I got home and applied leave in and a little moisturizer and oil. Well my hair started to heel rough as it dried so I knew I hadnt put enough product on it. I applies more moisturizer and then more oil and then I felt it start to soften. Today its nice and soft and has a nice sheen. I think our hair needs more product to give it more weight to dry without heat. Also I dont know how long it takes for your hair to dry, but how about wrapping it an sitting under the dryer? It would dry straighter then...
OR, u could put it in 2-4 or more ponytails and roll the ends like a rollerset. Its faster than a rollerset but the results are similar...

Tracy

OnceUpon made some excellent suggestions!

How are you airdrying BTW....ponytail, loose....

Sometimes HOW you do it is as important as anything else. Having that damage to contend with doesnt help though. I understand, Im in the same boat.

alona

You ladies are DA BOMB! Thanks for the advise. I'll try all of it.

One concern though. I try to wrap but my hair won't lay flat the ends are all crunchy and brittle you know, like a man's mustache.

Hey! I just remembered I have the strips of white paper to put around your head when you wrap. I'll try that plus the others and keep you guys updated.

Thanks again

kjames001

you can also try some smoothing serum (Frieda's is a good one) on the ends. I use the ponytail method (about four) and comb through the ends with a wide tooth comb once the hair is in the pony tails. Once 3/4 dry I remove the ponytails and let it continue to dry. That has helped tremendously with the frizzies.

simcha

I have the same problem. My hair was overprocessed for over a year before I found my current stylist.

She recommended (and it worked) an Aphogee treatment followed with their moisture treatment. Which stopped most of the breakage. Once was enough. I now use (twice a week) CD'd Herbal Shampoo (no laurel sulfate) which is very gentle and when I deep condition (Once a week) I use her Tui Shea Butter Smoothie mixed with Nexxus' Humectress. When I pull my hair back in a ponytail I put on Biosilk serum, which keeps it from frizzing.

Every night I spritz the ends with Surge 14 and slather on Ebene's Shea Butter Hairdressing before putting it in a bun. In the morning I conditioner wash with humectress followed up with the Biosilk.

I hope that helps.