Help! My 4b Hair Air Dries Crunchy!

naijamerican said:
I wonder if you need to explore using other butters. I'm currently testing out hemp seed butter, olive butter, and avocado butter (I use different ones on different days). I really like all of them, and I certainly like them better than shea butter which just sits on my hair and makes it crunchy and dry.

I agree with the idea of using a water-based cream moisturizer. I have tried the whole "wet my hair with rosewater and seal with a butter" and my hair laughed at me. :lol: It was much better when I used a good creamy moisturizer and then sealed with a butter.

Najiamerican I had no idea about the butters you posted. Where can I purchase them? The avocado butter sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Aloe makes my hair very hard and dry feeling.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Me, too, pookaloo83. :yep: Aloe does not agree with my hair. :nono:

Najiamerican I had no idea about the butters you posted. Where can I purchase them? The avocado butter sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I purchased these butters from www.fromnaturewithlove.com. You can also buy them at www.camdengrey.com. :yep: (I personally have never bought anything from Camden Grey but others seem to like them. :yep:)

When I wash my hair and want to braid it while damp, I swear by cold pressed olive oil and Cantu Shea Butter leave in.

I LOVE that stuff. It leaves my hair so soft.

yes! I too lurrrvedddd the Cantu Shea Butter Leave In. It is. . .delish on both relaxed and natural hair. hmmm I need to hit the shower and slather some in my hair afterwards. :look: I think I'm up for a pony since I don't feel like twisting my hair up tonight.

Hey Pook, I do a method very similar to Nelle when it comes to getting my styled hair to dry soft.

#1 I make sure that I use a water base product (along with some sort of holding/shine agent on top) to style damp hair only
#2 I don't particularly care to use butters (the waxiness on my hair is not hot)
#3 Also, I do not clarify. Totally stripping my 4b hair would be like strandicide (strand homicide). Instead, if my hair ever feels "wrong" I use a sulfate shampoo lightly with an EVOO + DC combination as a prepoo. Leaves my hair feeling soft and clean.

*The water base product I normally use to moisturize damp hair is Giovanni Direct but currently I have been using Taliah Waajid (sp?) The Great Detangler. I also use x-treme gel on top as a holding agent. My hair looks and feels the same EVERY single time. I don't know if it's because it's "trained" but it just comes out nice and soft each time.

Here is a tutorial I did on how I air dry effectively. You can ignore the parts about the Fantasia IC and the silicone recommendations. I know it is not for everyone and I haven't used it in a minute because I'm in twists for one and for two I love my xtreme gel lol.
http://frocabularie.com/1/category/frocabularie lessons/1.html

Hope this helps in some way.

I use creamy leave in products with great results. On towel dried hair, I put on Hairveda Whipped Creme ends hydration and then put on hydratherma naturals daily moisturizing growth lotion. It took a while for me to find the right combination of products to work for my hair and I can use these two products and do a wet bun without my hair matting and becoming hard and crunchy.

MissAlinaRose said:
Hey Pook, I do a method very similar to Nelle when it comes to getting my styled hair to dry soft.

#1 I make sure that I use a water base product (along with some sort of holding/shine agent on top) to style damp hair only
#2 I don't particularly care to use butters (the waxiness on my hair is not hot)
#3 Also, I do not clarify. Totally stripping my 4b hair would be like strandicide (strand homicide). Instead, if my hair ever feels "wrong" I use a sulfate shampoo lightly with an EVOO + DC combination as a prepoo. Leaves my hair feeling soft and clean.

*The water base product I normally use to moisturize damp hair is Giovanni Direct but currently I have been using Taliah Waajid (sp?) The Great Detangler. I also use x-treme gel on top as a holding agent. My hair looks and feels the same EVERY single time. I don't know if it's because it's "trained" but it just comes out nice and soft each time.

Here is a tutorial I did on how I air dry effectively. You can ignore the parts about the Fantasia IC and the silicone recommendations. I know it is not for everyone and I haven't used it in a minute because I'm in twists for one and for two I love my xtreme gel lol.
http://frocabularie.com/1/category/frocabularie%20lessons/1.html

Hope this helps in some way.

Thank you ma'am! Y'all are such a great help. I'm going out of town in two days and will pick up the cantu cause they don't sell it here. And the Taliah. I've been eyeing that for a while. So looks like I will need to step away from the butters. My hair is very fine and that may be too heavy. I need to use a water based moisturizer first I think, then put on something to give it a lil hold. cause i love my braidouts too much. Lol

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Oh, the Aecan'tspellthisproduct HATES my hair. :nono: I can use it on my ends, but not on my length at all- just dry and greasy! I need products that are water based (can use when my hair is damp or dry) or oil based (to use on damp hair) for my strands to be happy.

While I'm waiting for my hair to dry a bit, I sit with a t-shirt or a towel on my braids. When they are dry enough, I unravel, smoosh on the cream, finger fluff, and rebraid to dry. I usually have six to eight braids in my hair for this process.

Yeah, I had to sell this product. Now my hair loves the Heavy Cream. I suspect it was the olive oil in the butter--my hair hates olive oil with a passion.

Back