Help! My 4b Hair Air Dries Crunchy!

pookaloo83

I washed my hair last night and applied a butter then braided it for bed. When I undid the braids and started pulling them apart, it was a lil crunchy. I would hate to start lightly blow drying at every wash, but I just may have to. After the first day of my wash day it's always like this. I dont know why! How Are you other 4a/b's air drying or what do you do after a wash? Products?

Sent from my iPhone 4s

What kind of conditioner are you using? AOGPB always leaves my hair soft after a wash...or maybe you could apply an oil while damp like castor oil and it should definitely be soft when you unbraid.

What butter did you use? I use Qhemet Alma & Olive Heavy Cream on damp hair to air dry.

Last time I tried just using a butter, my hair was a crunchy mess. I HAVE to use a water based cream to get soft hair, I just have to.

I washed my hair last night and applied a butter then braided it for bed. When I undid the braids and started pulling them apart, it was a lil crunchy. I would hate to start lightly blow drying at every wash, but I just may have to. After the first day of my wash day it's always like this. I dont know why! How Are you other 4a/b's air drying or what do you do after a wash? Products?

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Did you use shampoo? You might want to ease up on it or eliminate it altogether.

my DD hair use to be that way, then I started using heavier, creamier moisturizers and leave ins on her hair, Shea Moisture curl souffle doesn't do a thing for her curls, BUT it makes her hair sooooooooooooooo moist.

just a thought. . .could it be protein overload? I did that to both my hair and my DD hair once. Try baggying for a few days to see how your hair reacts to moisture.

I can't remember who I learned it from online but there is a trick to baggying properly. Don't seal until you remove the baggy. If you want to use a small amount of oil as a part of your baggying concoction, then use only a small amount, and then seal after you remove the baggy. I learned this, tried it and my baggy always does what I need it to do now.

Exactly what products are you using, maybe some of the ladies on the board have experience with them and can help specifically.

I know you never mentioned heat but how dry it's your hair when you apply the butter? Make sure your hair is still damp/wet when you apply the butter. If by the time you move to the other side and it's drying up, wet it some more before applying the butter.
I've been doing this since I discovered sealing with butters and I always wake up with moisturised supple hair. Sometimes it's still damp but I have to make sure to do it in good time. I use shea butter.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LHCF

-PYT said:
What kind of conditioner are you using? AOGPB always leaves my hair soft after a wash...or maybe you could apply an oil while damp like castor oil and it should definitely be soft when you unbraid.

I didn't use AO this time. But it's usually about the same feeling but better when i use AO it doesn't feel as bad. I may have to revisit castor oil.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

NappyNelle said:
What butter did you use? I use Qhemet Alma & Olive Heavy Cream on damp hair to air dry.

I've run out if it. So I use the butter that they have. NappyNelle what do you do with your hair until it gets damp?

Sent from my iPhone 4s

tiffers said:
Last time I tried just using a butter, my hair was a crunchy mess. I HAVE to use a water based cream to get soft hair, I just have to.

This may be my problem. Last time I used qhemets detangling ghee and it dried soft. Guess I'll have to buy more.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

kinkycurlygurl said:
Did you use shampoo? You might want to ease up on it or eliminate it altogether.

Yeah I washed with shampoo. I don't cowash but may have to try it.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

HeChangedMyName said:
just a thought. . .could it be protein overload? I did that to both my hair and my DD hair once. Try baggying for a few days to see how your hair reacts to moisture.

I can't remember who I learned it from online but there is a trick to baggying properly. Don't seal until you remove the baggy. If you want to use a small amount of oil as a part of your baggying concoction, then use only a small amount, and then seal after you remove the baggy. I learned this, tried it and my baggy always does what I need it to do now.

Exactly what products are you using, maybe some of the ladies on the board have experience with them and can help specifically.

Well I usually wash once a week with Giovanni shampoo and condition with Aubrey organics. But this time I used Shea moistures deep conditioning masque. My hair hates she butter and that was the first ingredient. Maybe once a week is too much. I should probably wash one week then cowash the next.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

brittle_hair said:
try s-curl or something glycerin based.

Well I live in a humid environment and I don't like my shrinkage. Glycerine makes my hair just shrink! But it does make it soft.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I've recently started using Trader Joe's Nourish Spa as a leave-in (used to use Oyin Hair Dew). I twist with Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream or the Aethiopika Twist Butter.

I used a shea butter mix last week and my hair was dry so I'm back to using what works.

Well I usually wash once a week with Giovanni shampoo and condition with Aubrey organics. But this time I used Shea moistures deep conditioning masque. My hair hates she butter and that was the first ingredient. Maybe once a week is too much. I should probably wash one week then cowash the next.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I suspect, like the others, that maybe your hair doesn't like butters. What you describe as having happened is what would happen to my hair when I'd use butters, particularly shea butter. I'd apply on damp hair (or even dry hair) and my hair'd feel moist and soft. But later, it'd be hard like a brush and just impossible to manipulate. :nono:

I'd echo brittle_hair and suggest my poison S Curl but I don't think you'd get definition from a braidout with it. I think HeChangedMyName might be onto something. While I don't use any products when doing an "-out" style, I find baggying keeps my hair soft and when I undo my bare hair, it's soft to work and I get good definition. The softness lasts all day too so crunchy hair doesn't even come into my vocab.

I've run out if it. So I use the butter that they have. NappyNelle what do you do with your hair until it gets damp?

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Oh, the Aecan'tspellthisproduct HATES my hair. :nono: I can use it on my ends, but not on my length at all- just dry and greasy! I need products that are water based (can use when my hair is damp or dry) or oil based (to use on damp hair) for my strands to be happy.

While I'm waiting for my hair to dry a bit, I sit with a t-shirt or a towel on my braids. When they are dry enough, I unravel, smoosh on the cream, finger fluff, and rebraid to dry. I usually have six to eight braids in my hair for this process.

Wow. It sounds like your shampoo may be a little harsh. I usually clarify once or twice a month, depending on the amount of products I use on my hair. Other than that, I use a moisturizing poo once a week. You may want to try cowashing with a really good moisturizing conditioner and I also agree with the previous posters who mention baggying.

Ok, I got it. . .maybe.

Try this. Use a clarifying shampoo, specifically to strip any product buildup off your hair. I say this because I know on my DD hair, if she has product buildup, then when I wash, the water doesn't penetrate very well, and the conditioner doesn't either, so I basically strip it clean and start from scratch periodically.

DC with ORS replenish(you may need two packs, or even to just buy a bottle, because you;ll need a lot)

After you apply the DC, also use an oil of your choice, but not a mix. just pick one whether it be coconut, olive, mango, etc. and thoroughly and heavily grease your entire scalp and seal your ends and then baggy your hair with the DC and oil on it.

You can sit under the dryer for 45 minutes or sleep on it, leave it on all day, whatever you choose, but leave it on for as long as you can.

When you are ready to rinse, use cool water and rinse it completely out and add in a regular conditioner AND a leave in conditioner of your choice. Make sure its enough to coat every single strand on your hair. now, if you DC'd overnight then go ahead and seal your ends and twist it or braid it, bun it or whatever you do. If you DC'd under the dryer then baggy overnight and the next day seal the ends and style it.

Do this and get back with us to let us know how it turns out. then let us know how your hair feels after a couple of days.

Last edited:
aloe vera needs to be in the first line of the ingredient list. it smooths out my cuticles and my hair is soft and fluffy when i take out my braids. if aloe vera doesn't work for you i'd recommend something that smooths out your cuticles. aloe vera is the only think i know of and it is awesome!

I wonder if you need to explore using other butters. I'm currently testing out hemp seed butter, olive butter, and avocado butter (I use different ones on different days). I really like all of them, and I certainly like them better than shea butter which just sits on my hair and makes it crunchy and dry.

I agree with the idea of using a water-based cream moisturizer. I have tried the whole "wet my hair with rosewater and seal with a butter" and my hair laughed at me. :lol: It was much better when I used a good creamy moisturizer and then sealed with a butter.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

When I wash my hair and want to braid it while damp, I swear by cold pressed olive oil and Cantu Shea Butter leave in.

I LOVE that stuff. It leaves my hair so soft.

HeChangedMyName said:
Ok, I got it. . .maybe.

Try this. Use a clarifying shampoo, specifically to strip any product buildup off your hair. I say this because I know on my DD hair, if she has product buildup, then when I wash, the water doesn't penetrate very well, and the conditioner doesn't either, so I basically strip it clean and start from scratch periodically.

DC with ORS replenish(you may need two packs, or even to just buy a bottle, because you;ll need a lot)

After you apply the DC, also use an oil of your choice, but not a mix. just pick one whether it be coconut, olive, mango, etc. and thoroughly and heavily grease your entire scalp and seal your ends and then baggy your hair with the DC and oil on it.

You can sit under the dryer for 45 minutes or sleep on it, leave it on all day, whatever you choose, but leave it on for as long as you can.

When you are ready to rinse, use cool water and rinse it completely out and add in a regular conditioner AND a leave in conditioner of your choice. Make sure its enough to coat every single strand on your hair. now, if you DC'd overnight then go ahead and seal your ends and twist it or braid it, bun it or whatever you do. If you DC'd under the dryer then baggy overnight and the next day seal the ends and style it.

Do this and get back with us to let us know how it turns out. then let us know how your hair feels after a couple of days.

Thank you ! I will try this next week! Or maybe tomorrow. I'm not liking how my hair is feeling right now.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

LovelyNaps26 said:
aloe vera needs to be in the first line of the ingredient list. it smooths out my cuticles and my hair is soft and fluffy when i take out my braids. if aloe vera doesn't work for you i'd recommend something that smooths out your cuticles. aloe vera is the only think i know of and it is awesome!

Aloe makes my hair very hard and dry feeling.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Back